Stradale or Superleggera | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Stradale or Superleggera

Discussion in '360/430' started by PsyFi, Jun 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mousemaster

mousemaster Rookie

May 23, 2009
    USA
    Prices for both cars are a moving target. The Superleggera numbers are very low for North America. I think there are about 170 cars. Fewer than the Stradale but not by much. The SL rides harsher than the base Gallardo. For 20K more, the original owner didn't get that much more 'go' for his money. The carbon fiber looks nice though.

The Stradale prices have been coming down. Don't be fooled by the asking prices on the internet. No one is paying the asking price and I keep seeing the same Stradales advertised over and over again. They are not meeting the expectations of their sellers for price. If you have to have one, you can pick a good one and pay a reasonable price. The Ferrari will probably hold its value longer than the Lambo.

Another consideration is the SL is a slightly newer generation than the Stradale. Apples to oranges here but the Stradale is based on an older car. There are huge horsepower differences to consider if you are going to track the car. The AWD is also a more favorable attribute for a track car in many cases. The wing may also help on high speed tracks but I don't have data for that.

In short, it depends on what you are going to do with it. Track cars require very unique attributes that are not often found. The Stradale has small front tires and that has been a noticeable issue for track days.

2. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    CS will hold its money better for sure. Two totally different cars though. I prefer the CS much more classy car IMO and more fun to drive

3. DM1

DM1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2006
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    DM
    Even though I love the Lambos, its the CS all the way. Better investment too. my $.02

4. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    From EVO

The Ferrari is an aggressive extrovert, seducing you with its raucous, animalistic manner and illicit race-car-on-the-road character. It has an intensity not even big brother Enzo can match, but it's for this very reason that the CS is a car to be enjoyed in small doses; warmed-up, wrung-out, then put away.

5. GallardoGuy

GallardoGuy Karting

Jun 12, 2008
    Fort Collins, Colo
    That's a tough one. But I'd have to say Stradale. Both are bad*** and I'll admit I'm a Lambo guy but nothing beats the sound of a CS. Seems to be one of the most favorite Ferrari's now.

6. Jon@Tezta

Jon@Tezta Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Hong Kong / Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    It also depends on your location, if you live in a RHD country then the gallardo/superleggera's driving position is very odd, hard to get used to and yes the ceramics take a bit of getting used to, i test drove a 560-4 once (first time ever using ceramics on the gallardo) and the sales man was not happy at all with my braking technique.

7. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Everydsy driving, Lambo can't beat the german reliablity. Race car feel, Ferrari. And if you have any size to you, Ferrari. Being in the position to afford either one , PRICELESS !

8. Jompen

Jompen Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    As said before, if you are over 180 cm you can´t fit in tha lambo with a helm on and have a decent driving position for track.

Personally i would never change my CS for a SL, even though SL is a little bit faster on track.

9. Jacob89ash

Jacob89ash Karting

Nov 7, 2010
    Atlanta/LA
    Full Name:
    JAY
    Superleggera, its a beautiful car and faster than the stradale, but if they had a 458 stradale i would take that over a Superleggera

10. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    CS cos it'll always be a classic. SL will seem dated once an update is released. That's my take and thats why I chose a 430 over a SL even though the test drive in an SL was mind blowing. I absolutely hated the interior and the lack of comfort as compared to even a Scud.

11. DesmoRob

DesmoRob Rookie

Jun 3, 2009
    Penticton, BC
    Full Name:
    RobGH
    Isn't the Superleggera AWD ? Therefore...why would anyone want it over a CS ??

12. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

CS without a doubt

13. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    CS!

Lambo's are too "gangsta" for me.

Driving my "new to me" CS last night made me realize that there is no way I can take advantage of what my car has to offer on public roads. So, I don't care if the Lambo is .5 seconds faster or whatever. I want a Ferrari!!!

14. hifipj

hifipj Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2009
    #40 hifipj, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    For the same money (comparing 04 CS to 08 SL), I would take the Superleggera.

Convert it to 2wd and you essentially have a Balboni, for 1/2 the price. I don't think depreciation will be an issue now as SLs have already depreciated most of what they will incur. However it is probably true the CS will depreciate a lower percent of its current value over 5 years than a used SL bought today.

I know the CS is an incredible car, but I believe they are overpriced in the current market for what they offer.

Superleggeras at 130k, and Scuds at 180-190k, however, are to me a great value. You could buy either the CS or SL now, keep it for a year to see how you like it, and sell it for not a huge loss (not counting tax). So decide and take the plunge!

Addendum: Upon reflection, I remember that I've noticed a large number of SLs which seem to go thru owners very quickly. Have seen a lot of 2-3 year old ones with 2-3 or more owners, indicating maybe the owners are not satisfied, that somehow the car was not up to what they expected. CSs seem to be purchased by rabid enthusiasts/collectors (most of whom are on this board) and lovingly kept for longer periods of time (Chas as an example not withstanding).

15. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

ITS CALLED OCD ;)

16. Rheinlaender

Rheinlaender Rookie

Aug 25, 2010
    I wouldn't mind the MASERATI Stradale =)

17. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #43 PAP 348, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    LOVELY!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Something about those stripes, black mirrors and wheels and the challenge grille....sexy!

19. porsche racer

porsche racer Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    I loved my 360. However, I would take a Balboni over CS now.

20. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Please elaborate why. Interesting comparison.

21. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Never drove a CS but wife gave me one of those "drive five supercars" gifts and one was a Murcielago. Man that car was raw. I thought Ferrari's were visceral. It rattled, shook, popped, the engine sounded like it shared the cabin, power came on unexpectedly and unpredictably. It helped the experience that the ABS and Air Bag lights came on once you wound her up. I actually thought that I wold kill myself if I owned that car and gave in to temptation often. The guy who drove it before me said it was "like heroin".

Now the 430 and the 599 GTB were so sedate, ballanced and civilized. A snooze.

22. jpohl402

jpohl402 Formula Junior

Interesting review, thanks for sharing. I read it a few times.
    However, I can't decide if you are being positive or negative regarding Murci.
    Your comment about giving into temptation, and the Like Heroin, confused me....
    Maybe I am missing the point, it's just going over my head....?
    Thx

23. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    I agree. Heroin....sounds good to me. But still I don't like the driving experience in a lambo...it's just too raw to me. Perhaps I'm growing old? I dislike it the same way I dislike Porsches. The 430 is just right for me...and the CS....oooohhh.....I can live with that.

24. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    Crazy to think a 4 year newer car that cost more to begin with is at equal value with the CS.

This should say it all. The Lambo should be faster it's a much larger engine. It comes down to looks and feel I realize but you have to wonder where the Lambo will be in another 2 years.

CS for me.