stradale power? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

stradale power?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bostonmini, Jan 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
  2. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003

That's it
    Cats are becoming a bit boreing now.
    Sorry for so many of the same thing but I wasn't sure which ones would get the best view.

Wazza

3. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003

4. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    the sensor would be a little bit more to the front - however obviously your headers are different (see my version) - what your picture shows is the access for sampling exhaust gasses

I think we are done with this - US has pre-cats EU not

5. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    you are comparing apple and oranges - the CS has been designed/marketed as street legal track car

reasoning a.) someone who considers to buy the stock Gallardo and stock CS might get surprised - the CS is noisy all around and the interior is sparse - it is not as single minded as the GT3 or GT2 but you better think about it - the warning comes from the P world - several P car owners have been unhappy with the nervousness of the GT3 and trickyness of the GT2 and sold their cars - the SC is very nosy, has no decent radio and is hard to get in/out

reasoning b.) would the Gallardo & CS run in the same class

for me the real competitor for the CS is the GT3 RS and that is a very close race

6. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    - ECU & cams sounds very interesting

- going after the intake heat makes a lot of sense (we tried to control heat in that space during my second dyno run) - I would categorize the fuel cooler as heat reduction in teh air intake too

do you know what the sport exaust includes - not going after flow in the cats as first option makes no sense to me (not to talk about the stupid pre-cats right in the headers)

if you look into my second dyno results there is a lot of opertunity to improve things in the 5000rpm area - not sure what the root cuase is but smoothen that out would help a lot to improve performance

7. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    replaced the stock air intake with a Challenge type one and added the Tubi Style air filters - the new air intake replaces the resonator that reduces the intake sound

I decided not to uses the Challenge but rather the RM Racing one since it can be attached to an additional point at the frame, which looked more stable to me

Without the resonator the sound of the car becomes even more crazy – especially during downshifts you can hear how the computer controls the throttle – amazing

I did run with the stock air filters and switched to the Tubi later – the Tubi ones cause the intake to be much louder

8. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    besides improving the intake sound are thereother benefits to replacing the stock air intake?

9. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    the goal is to make the air intake less restrictive, i.e. increase air flow and make the engine breath easier

improved intake sound is relative - it is more noisy - much more

10. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i hope this isn't too obvious, but do you know why ferrari would put resonators in the stock air intake? was this done primarily to tune the sound (for aesthetic reasons) at the expense of airflow?

11. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    the resonator is there for noise reduction - without the intake sound is **LOUD** and it is right next to the driver side window

I believe the type of resonator is called Helmholz resonator - what it is is an enclosed volume connected to the air intake pipe with holes - so I assume that if there are pressure waves the resonator is supposed to absorb them - pressure wave = noise

the 360 Challenge cars use an air intake with out resonator however with the stock air filters – the RM intake has the same size pipe diameter throughout while the stock changes size and shape - based on this I figured that there is some gain to be had by switching to the Challange intake design and the less restrictive Tubi air filters

12. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    May I ask what game they were recording for?

Also, about the HP > kW and kW > HP conversions, here they are:

1 horsepower = 0.745699872 kiloWatts

1 kiloWatt = 1.34102209 horsepower

13. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Which month was this posted in?? Love to see it!!

14. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    April 2004 issue. Great issue for 360 lovers... in addition to the Imola 360, they had an article on the Risi 360... plus an article on the Ferrari French Quarter Classic.

15. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

the Xbox guys did not want to tell

Yes that is the constant I know - I simply don't like the result that I get when I use it with the KW number from Wazza's owner's manual number - 305KW is the only number that is consistent in all manuals I have numbers from

16. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    yes its extremely suspicous that the same "mistake" should be made again to have power @ 409 bhp rather than 425...

17. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Thomas

Where did you purchase the parts?

18. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
  19. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

My dealer is very helpful! I just need know what parts I should use that would get me the extra HP I am looking for :)

A note about the torque numbers you are getting, which is just as important as HP numbers, they look very good at 243 lbs.

20. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Guys I think I've just woken up or been hit on th head with something heavy.

409 HP cannot possibly a typo and has to be correct.

SO.

What ever happened to 425 BHP.
    This was the number that was banded around in all the marketing bumph.
    It was problably the the first thing that caught my attention and was certainly the main reason for even considering to buy a CS.Yes, there were other reasons but this was first. MORE POWER in the car I loved.

I have just bought a beauitful book for £20.
    It's just called "Challenge Stradale" .
    It's just a re-hash for all the marketting stuff packaged in a large glossy hard cover format.
    Lots of pretty pictures and marketting data.
    A great thing to own when you've got the car.
    (all part of the ownership pride thing).

Even in that book it states the max BHP at 8500 rpm as 425 BHP.

It also gives specific power as and I quote " 118.5 BHP / Litre
    The highest specific power output ever from a road-going aspirated engine".

Ok, so lets do the maths 118.5 BHP/Litre x 3.5862 Total Dispalcement = 424.9647 BHP.

The euro manual states specific power as 85Kw/l

OK, so the maths again 85Kw/l X 1.34102209conversion ratio =113.98687765BHP/Litre X 3.5862 =408.77974 BHP

The marketting book mentions 1180 KG / 2602 lb Dry Weight
    and Kerb Weight as 1280 KG / 2822 lb
    The Euro Manual states Kerb Weight as 1290 KG

I Think youve already figuered out this 10 kg / 22 lb difference as being to do with the cats.

The marketting book states Power to wieght as 2.8KG/BHP
    The marketting book states Max torque as 38 kgm@4750 / 275 lb ft @4750 rpm.
    Euro Manual states max torque as 373 Mn
    I don't how you get from kgm to Nm

""SO PLEASE MR FERRARI SEND ME MY EXTRA 16 BHP AS PROMISED.
    PRETTY PLEASE.
    before I start to feel that I have been lied to or cheeted.
    or did you just change the spec and forget to tell me?.
    It's OK, I will accept your apology if that's the true expaination.
    But an explaination is needed.
    many thanks
    Wazza""

Wazza

21. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

here you go - Challenge air intake and part numbers (8 & 10 are the main parts)

as I said I did get the parts and decided to go for the RM stuff - part 8 is attached to the air scope with 2 screws - having the additional attachment the RM one has is beneficial in my view

note that this mod is loud (but fun)

22. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Wazza my man you are going down the drain as I, Brian, Spyderman and others already have - makes your head spin - a few weeks ago I even thought that I could solve the problem with a nice dyno run .... - don't you want to do one?

my suggestion is to go out and drive your car - that cleans your head - sort of a "night drive" for you - but still it is the best car I have driven

23. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Thank-you for the information and the parts chart!! Great info!!

Regarding the RM filters...they look like the foam filters, the ones you do not recommend. Did you purchase the whole unit from RM for $599 listed even though you did not want the foam filters or were you able to just purchase the air scope?

24. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Thomas

Ah more noise, just what we need.

just a couple of questions.

Is there any nominal pick up in BHP with the Challenge/Tubi type air-intake system?. If so , how much would you guess?.

And are there any warranty issues?. or is something that doesn't bother you.

I like the idea of getting this set up. Hope you don't mind me copying your Ideas. especially as you did all the hard work.

Wazza

25. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    I think it is plain to see that one thing is clear throughout this thread. The stradale could do with some extra power. All the dyno runs,parts manuals, searches for extra hp, etc. basically means that people are not 100% happy with power of the engine. I know that no one is ever 100% happy, but in this case I think the engine, just doesn't live up to its expectations. Having driven the car for about 300 miles, it is the only thing that is slightly depressing me and disappointing, in the run up to my car being delivered in June. I love everything else about the car.

I can't hide however from the fact that I still have a yearning for more power. It's not that the stradale is so underpowered but it's just that I know that the chassis can cope with so much more very easily that it's a crying shame. In my mind this is the only blemish that i can see with this car. so you can talk all you want about a couple of hp with higher octane gas, changing the cats,exhaust,re dyno runs, but the my butt dyno will always say this car needs more power no matter what you do. Pure and simple.

Whether the sound,handling,and styling will be enough to make me want to keep it long term, I suppose I will discover in the next few months after it arrives.