stradale power? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

stradale power?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bostonmini, Jan 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I don't think you can conclude that... but we all damn sure want our personal CS to deliver all the power its supposed to (i.e., the 425hp Ferrari promised us). But even at 400hp, I've never had an issue with that much power. I've never had an issue with my 360's power. (But of course, more is always better.)

HOWEVER, I'd happily accept 409hp instead of 425hp if they'd just give me the 2822lb weight they promised. Its the lighter weight that appeals most to me... that's why I bought the car. Those 176-300lbs of extra weight is roughly equivalent to 25-43hp!!

2. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    why do you say that you have not got the 2822 lbs.? Have you weighed your car? If so how much does it weigh?

3. RaptorAKL

RaptorAKL Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    McLean, VA
    From a brief drive in a CS, I can say that I didn't notice a big increase in power, just judging from the speedo and the gut-check levels. However, I don't really think that the increased performance is the biggest draw of the CS. Rather, it is the added thrills, and here the CS delivers in a way few other cars could ever dream of.
    The CS is, to put it bluntly, about the most intense road car I have ever driven. The noise is incredible, both in volume and spine-chilling quality, and the handling is just so sharp and full of feel. The car feels stronger and more direct in the turns than the 360M, yet at the same time more stable and predictable. Truly a work of great engineering. I drove the car for 10 minutes, and it left me breathless! I don't care if it isn't massively faster than a regular 360 in a drag race; the drive makes it more than worth the extra $35K or so.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The Helmholtz resonator is the correct term. However, the resonator consists of three parts, the part that holds the air filter, the tube and the box sitting on top of the intake tubes. All are carefully sized, and as far as I understand the issue, none are sized for quiteness! They are sized for smooth airflow across a certain RPM band.

The intake tracks from the back sides of the inlet valves to the tops of the velocity stacks optimize the airbox to cyclinder air flow. This airflow is pulsed since the intake valves are only open 255? degrees for every 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation. The actual shapes of the pulses are influenced by the action of the headers during valve overlap.

The job of the Helmholtz resonator is to take the pulses from 4* cylinders and combine them by carefull sizing the volume in the airbox and the cylinder capacity of the engine. This adds the pulses together and smooths the pulses into a shape with lower harmonic content. So although the waveform is not irregular pulses, it still has the shape of oscilitory waves. Then a long-ish tube of proper proportions connects the resonator to the air filter box to dampen the high energy waves. Leaving a constant pull of air in from the outside.

*All 8 cylinders are processed in the RPM band when both the long and short intake velocity stack throttles are open in the F360.

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    a bit off topic, but i remember you were wondering about the plaques on the new stradales. maybe you've heard already, but the ferraris that are being delivered now have updated F1 championship plaques "1999-2003".

6. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Sweet! Do they also have the "50" flag logo somewhere?
    If so, where? (I was a little worried that the 2004's would
    get the "50" instead of the F1 championship plaques.

7. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    all the new ferraris (coming to the US) also have the "50 years flag" in lieu of the traditional flags :) the "50 flag" is on the center console of the stradale in the same location that the traditional flags were placed. a friend of mine saw this on the stradale at the detroit auto show. i think he's going to email me some pictures. i'll post them if/when i get them :)

8. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

Some of this I understand/agree – however the reason I am doubtful that this applies to the 360 intake system resonator is the component layout.

The intake manifold on top of each cylinder bank with the variable intake geometry is the first resonator that combines the 4 pulses as you describe. Note that the two manifolds are connected through an ECU control valve, which I assume is used to control the resonance frequency depending on RPM (open = larger volume).

The box with the two air filters (not sure what it is called) combines the two pulses from the left and right cylinder banks (manifolds) into a single stream. Again this could allow to use the pulse and resonation.

Now I am not sure what the third resonator right after the air conveyer (air intake scope grill) does other than absorb pressure waves = sound, i.e. I have a hard time how it contributes other than noise reduction. Furthermore if it has an impact on cylinder filling why do the Challenge cars take it out?

9. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

there is too much power and weight - try to drive the SL 55 AMG with all the electronic bla bal bal off – the obsession of people with HP and straight line acceleration has created some really funny development directions – try to decelerate this battleship or try to toss it into a curve or good forbid do both – physics will catch you quickly – the car is called a sports car? – I found it as un-involving as any other limousine

having said that the Stradale feels like it can handle much more power – I was happy with the Modena and its claimed 400HP – I want the power and acceleration of a 996 TT in the Stradale – there is a little bit of that kick in the butt feeling once you cross 5000RPM but only for a brief moment and I am not sure if it is caused by the sport seats (direct contact) – I usually listen to my gut when I drive and the only time my gut says slow down with the SC is in damp conditions (don’t ask me why I don’t know)

the SC appealed to me because if did go into the opposite direction of all other vendors to add weight – as Brian said I’ll give up HP for less weight because less weight means more fun

I wanted to have another discussion for some time but was to concerned about the usual pissing games – however her it is – the biggest competitors on the track for the SC in my view are the 996 TT and the 996 GT3 (RS)

- 996 tt because most of the folks I know track the car
    - 996 GT3 RS because if (the GT3) was my initial choice before Porsche pissed me of with their model policies and interior quality

Given equal driving skills I believe the TT will outgun the SC (bad but I can live with it) but at the moment I am not sure about the GT3 RS – having all of the 425HP advantage would make me feel better

10. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Thomas:

The GT3 RS would be quicker around a track then the 996tt from the numbers I have seen to date! The 996tt at around 3550 lbs is just to heavy around a track...but it is a great street car and very easy to modify :)

11. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    mhh - agree 996 TT vs. GT3 RS - not sure 996 TT vs Modena around track - worry about 996 TT vs CS at minimum around some tracks - agree that the 996 TT is a great platform for mods - cool if someone has track experience

12. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Thomas,

Unless the 996tt is modified the Stradale would be quicker on the track then the turbo. I believe the issue is if the Stradale would be quicker than the GT3 on any given track. Thomas you have to give your car a little more credit, it is an amazing track car ;)

13. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    I totally agree with you on this one. I have found out that the CS is very tail happy in even slightly damp conditions therefore caution is very much warranted.

I can tell you that according to the various magazines I have read that have compared either the GT3 or GT3RS to the CS the impression is that there is not a lot in it. Perhaps a few tenths -maybe a second at the most in any lap time. In some mags, the CS is quicker and in others the GT3/RS is quicker, so I would assume that they are very much matched on the track. with respect to the 996 TT, I will tell you that according to Walter Rohl, the GT3/RS is only about 2 seconds slower than the 996 GT2 around the Nordschleife. As the GT2 is much more track oriented than the normal TT I figure it would at least be 3-5 seconds faster than the normal TT. So according to those calculations, and under the same conditions, the GT3/RS would be quicker than the TT and therefore so would the CS!. I hope this makes sense.

14. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    I also agree with the Stradale being quicker then the 996tt for the same reasons you gave above :) Now, if only the Stradale was as quick as the GT2!!

15. arakisfilip

arakisfilip Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2004
    so is the 409 real and if so is it only in the state or for europe also

16. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, in another thread the answer proposed is that the 409hp (which is what is listed in both US and Euro manuals) is the hp you get measuring the engine on a bench (no airflow)... the 425hp (which is what all the marketing literature says) is for the engine in dynamic conditions (high speed airflow providing "ram air effect").