Stradale vs. 911GT3 vs. Ford GT at Gingerman: Chart | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Stradale vs. 911GT3 vs. Ford GT at Gingerman: Chart

Discussion in '360/430' started by bumboola, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Brute horsepower and torque. It's what I've always loved about the GT40 and my Pantera as well.

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Yeah, but they SHOULDN'T be closely matched, because the S7 has a 50hp and 400lb advantage. S7 carries 5.4 lb/hp, the Ford 6.8, almost 26% difference.

Gary

3. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Look guys, you need to compare apples to apples. Car & Driver has always had the highest ETs of the American car magazines in regards to the 360. They test the cars with a full load of fuel (over 25 gallon capacity) and on normal road surfaces. Motor Trend probably tested the car with a whiff of fuel and on a dragstrip, where you would get a much lower ET on account of the traction available off the line. For a good idea on what the car can do at the strip, read this test: http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt1922.shtml
    I remember seeing the program on TV and it was tested at a drag strip. Anyway, if you compare C & D to C & D times, the CS is considerably quicker.

As far as the weight is concerned, you need to compare apples to apples again. Car & Driver always weigh the cars with a full load of fuel, and I trust their figures over anybody elses. So when it came in 139 lbs. lighter, I was very disappointed. Significantly lighter, but 80-100 lbs. heavier than I expected. Typical Ferrari exaggeration. I had been saying for months that the weight figures some British magazines were quoting were way off the mark.

But, no matter. This is the car I want. I have never been so excited about a new car since my first new car at 20. I wanted a more aggressive looking, lighter and better performing 360. No other performance car available, no matter how much faster, was ever part of the equation. I can always pull out my bike if I want to do the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds.

Paul

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It should never be about #'s. It should always be about what you want.

5. Guibo

Guibo Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Actually, the 189 mph figure listed in R&T was only an estimate. They never actually acheived that number. C&D tested the regular 360 Modena twice, once in Italy and once in the States. Both reached a redline-limited top speed of 173 mph.

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Seems like it should be a simple mph per 1000rpm math equation. 16mph is quite a discrepancy. If the 360 actually reaches redline in 6th, as I assume it will, it should be easy to figure which number is correct.

Gary

7. ffr1352

ffr1352 Rookie

Dec 4, 2003
    I think the GT will have 500 HP at the rear wheels and is designed to take additional boost like the underrated 4.6L supercharged cobra! A few pullies, a dyno tune and some higher octane gas means an easy 100+ HP. Look how Ford recently underrated the new F150's towing ability and then released a revised rating to one-up the new Nissan Titan and their 9,000+ pound towing capacity! Like my $30,000 kit cobra which can run circles around most much more expensive exotics, the GT will prove to be a bargain in the exotic field and be much easier and less expensive to service. Hold on to your ego because this raises the performance bar for all auto manufacturers and we all win by getting better products in the future!

Regarding the test figures and reported vehicle performance remember there are a lot of variables which usually are not very carefully measured which cumulatively will have a significant impact on the reported vehicle performance versus the actual performance. Tire wear , air pressure, tire heat cycles, air temp, humidity, wind speed, track surface, driver weight, measuring instrument calibration, etc. so you can anticipate varied performance data.

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Sounds about right, actually. A 360 is doing about 60ishMPH at 3000rpm AFAIK, so =170ishMPH at 8500rpm.

9. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    How the hell did Autocar get 194mph out of their 360 CS in the PCOTY issue. Did Ferrari remove the rev-limiter on their test car? Car & Driver will only take a car to redline.

To any Stradale owners: Does the car hit the rev-limiter at about 8700rpm like a regular 360 or does it cut in at a higher rpm?

Thanks

Paul

10. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Excellent point! Ferrari quotes the top speed to be 186mph. When I saw the Autocar report, I figured Ferrari computed the 186 based on the published redline of 8500rpm... and Autocar just ran it up until the revline limiter kicked in at 8800rpm. So, how is C&D hitting redline at 176mph??

EITHER the redline limiter is off, kicking in at 8000rpm (unlikely, but would explain a lot since that would give away about 20hp);
    OR they had the wrong size tires on the car (they DID say they went through several sets of tires; and the pics of the car look like lower profile tires than I remember other pics; and maybe the customer who owns the car wanted some lower profile tires).

Now putting lower profile tires by itself would not hurt the performance numbers at all... but if they put lower quality tires on, which is almost sure if they didn't put the tires it comes with on, then that could CERTAINLY explain the lower performance... 2secs per lap easy. (Of course, the Ford would still be smoking it in a straight line... but that's a given at 3.3s 0-60!)

Just something to make you go: hmmmmm... ;)

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Lower profile tires would lower the final drive ratio thus the cars top speed would be lower, but it should accelerate a bit quicker. This would change also the accuracy of the speedo.

So yes it would change performance numbers.

Pete

12. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yes, it would change them... but mostly just make them different... it would accelerate quicker in 1st, but only until you had to switch to 2nd (which would be sooner)... and then it would be much slower for a while.

So, for example, for 0-60 times, you want 1st gear to top out at 61mph. And then if you put lower profile tires on it, your 0-50 will improve slightly, but your 0-60 will get much worse. But the overall curve will barely change at all... hence, my comment.

13. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I rented a 2002 360 Spider 6-speed in Germany, and was able to achieve a top speed of 293 km/hour on a flat, straight, wind-free section of Autobahn. This equates to about 181 mph.

14. Guibo

Guibo Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    I wouldn't doubt it. The Spider is said to be a very well designed convertible, not much less slippery than its hardtop counterpart. C&D managed 175 mph from one they tested in Italy (which is identical to the top speed they got when comparing the hardtop Modena F1 to the Porsche Turbo and Aston Martin DB7 Vantage). They also said:
    "'The 360's top-down cockpit comfort is unbelievable. At 125 mph, a sheet of paper sitting on the passenger seat doesn't even flutter.'
    Plus, you can carry on a conversation without yelling yourself hoarse at speeds that would have you on a Cops episode in the U.S."

But then again, was your reading from a GPS unit, or one from the speedometer? Speedometers can be very optimistic. There was a comparison done by Motor Trend back in '97, and for the opening page of the article, they showed the speedometer of their F355, indicating 187 mph. In the actual top speed section, however, it registered 180.0 on the radar gun.
    Mario Andretti noted that the speedometer in the 550 Maranello he drove for their "Fastest Street-Legal Cars in America" article showed he reached a maximum speed of 207 mph, when in reality it was 193.4. Certain German marques are notorious for speedometer error as well. Might have something to do with legislation in various countries requiring that speedometers must never underrate the true speed.
    All in all, if your 181 mph reading was from the speedo, chances are good you were going about as fast as C&D's maximum of 175.