Straight Pipes | FerrariChat

Straight Pipes

Discussion in '308/328' started by timr, Nov 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Has anyone ever ran or heard straight pipes on an early 308? More curious than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Many have done it on their 308 and it does made the sound better.

3. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    I just removed my cat converter from an 83 QV model and replaced it with test pipes. The difference is big....its like someone woke up the beast :)
    lovely/proper sound

PS: I have also a Tubi exhaust what already contributes to a nice symphony

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have a Tubi with test pipe, yes , I have said many times, 3x8 s wake up , thats for sure, a K & N air filter goes along nice as well.

Thank you

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    On our 4L QV race engine with ITB intake, custom exhaust manifold and straight pipes... It's brutaly loud at idle and ear piercing at the full 14k limit... Yes 14k rpm... Not much of anything is Ferrari on that build... Block, heads and crank... The rest is custom.

Straight pipes suck on the street, too loud and even many tracks now have decibels limits. Great burble and tone but just too loud.

Tubi exhaust is real nice, I really like the capristo note, but they are quite expensive. Highly recommend going with a valved exhaust, regardless if it's capristo or not. Closed valves at idle have a nice subdued note, WOT and the valves open... Symphony of sound.

6. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David

7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    The K & N gives the car a little more of a growl like induction noise, with that being said, It matches up really good to my car with the Tubi / Test Pipe.

I need to find a dino shop, My car seemed to always perform better than the 260 HP that they say is at the crank, or is it 270. Im am not concerned with HP that much anyways, it is all about the pure driving experience , although the 328s / 308s should have had at least 300-350 HP from the factory. I dont plan on doing any major mods to the ignition or the motor itself. The 3x8s are as fun to drive slow as they are to drive fast, not many cars that you can say that about.

Thank you

Thomas Magnum and miketuason like this.