Strange Gear Shifting Behaviour... | FerrariChat

Strange Gear Shifting Behaviour...

Discussion in '612/599' started by aintveen, Apr 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aintveen

aintveen Rookie

Oct 22, 2015
    Duesseldorf/Germany
    Full Name:
    Andreas Intveen
    Hi,

Last week I took my 612 (MY2008) out of the garage after 6 months.
    I always shift using the paddles on the steering wheel. After a couple of kilometers driving, it showed a strange behaviour from time to time:
    - the car automatically went into „N“ showing „gear not available“ on display or
    - when shifting into 3rd gear, the „3“ in the display was blinking

This happend randomly from time to time and I could switch into other gears afterwards again.

Is that a fault in the software (after 6 months in the garage, but connected to the Ferrari battery charger) or is it a defect in the gearbox?

Any thoughts very welcome

Thanks,

Andreas

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    First thing I would do is have the F1 system serviced and the clutch PIS and wear checked. All the 65 degree V12s with single plate clutch F1 or manual shifters can have clutch wear visually checked, too, with the possible exception of 599s and OTOs with their twin disc clutches. F1 service includes changing the fluid, bleeding the system, running a self test, and checking for leaks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

randkin and Makuono like this.
  3. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    After a winter sleep of 4 months my 612 had a similar issue. After driving 2 kilometers the info display showed "gearbox failure, don't drive any further"

Turned the engine of, started again and the message was there again. After idling about 3 minutes the message disappeard and never came back.

The car had its yearly service yesterday at an official dealer and they checked the gearbox. There is nothing wrong with it. Happy me.

4. aintveen

aintveen Rookie

Oct 22, 2015
    Duesseldorf/Germany
    Full Name:
    Andreas Intveen
    Thanks for the responses. The car is with the local Ferrari dealer now for the regular service.
    Let‘s see what the friendly mechanics will find out

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have had similar issues if I haven’t driven the car for a while. I also found turning the car off and restarting seemed to solve the problems. So I decided when I haven’t driven the car for a few weeks or longer I do an extra long warmup. I am not sure if that is actually an answer but it seems to have solved my issues of strange error messages - at least until something else comes along. :cool::D

Makuono and 360Marnix like this.
  6. RegW

RegW Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    London
    You are victims of your own sins, which is to leave your cars undriven for too long! Why deny them a healthy weekly workout?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    In my case the roads are covered with salt because of frosty conditions. I don't drive my 612 in wet salt!

8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I understand neutral dropping is often a symptom of the clutch nearing the end of its life.

9. aintveen

aintveen Rookie

Oct 22, 2015
    Duesseldorf/Germany
    Full Name:
    Andreas Intveen
    Mhhh...
    My car has only been used for 27k kms (18k miles) and the clutch has been checked 2 years ago with only 35% wear...
    I am curious to get the feedback from my local Ferrari dealer after inspection.

10. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    If the system checks out ok with no faults and clutch is not worn, then the dealer should perform a self-learn procedure. This is where the gearbox ECU shifts the transmission through all of the gears and relearns the values of the gear position sensors for each gear.

11. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    It might be that the gearbox oil needs extra warm up time after being left for so long, and some of it might get thicker as the oil degrades a bit when not mixed regularly (like oil gets thicker at the bottom and lighter at the top). The pump will then not be able to supply the correct oil pressure for some time, causing missed shifts.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    I do not think so because I got the same issue last year and my car was used extensively, 17 000 kms during summer, message : Gearbox faulty, etc... going from 1st to N without notice and few hiccups. Finally I am not sure about translation, the "sensors" were faulty, that's all. It cost me only a set-up.
    Do you have a 599 in France Max ??

13. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    No I have a V12 Lusso.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat