Strange windscreen wiper issue | FerrariChat

Strange windscreen wiper issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360michael, Jul 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360michael

360michael Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've tried searching the forum for any previous threads on this issue to no avail, so here goes..
    Windscreen wipers stopped working the other day, so was thinking probably just blown a fuse. Checked the fuses and the relay and all seemed to be ok. On further investigation, I found that if I switch the wipers on at the stalk and give the wiper arms themselves a good nudge, hey presto..they work. That is until the next time I switch them on.

Has anyone experienced this before? Would this be a motor issue problem? Poor connection? Any other ideas before I start pulling things apart??

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    308 wipers often seize in the linkage directly below the wiper connection because of water ingress - they probably use the same design !

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I agree with Greyboxer, I'd take the wipers arms off, take off the metal plate below the windshield and see what is going on with the mechanism. Sounds like something is binding versus an electrical issue.

4. 360michael

360michael Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ok thanks. I'll have a go at it and let you know what I find. It just so happens I'm having the "leaking battery in the siren" problem at the same time, so at least I'm working in the same corner of the car :)

5. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you do take off the wiper arms, be sure you re-install them correctly. If not done improperly, the bottom of the arm can put a nice crescent shaped groove across part of your windshield. Ask me how I know.

6. JS NZ

JS NZ Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2010
    Auckland, NZ
    Full Name:
    John
    Reinstallation is a real trick. You must be very forceful when putting the nut back on the spindle. Check the clearance before trying the wipers. It should be a pretty decent clearance, check before you take them off how much clearance there is. Tightening that nut is not a matter of just making it tight, you must really tighten it.