Strapless heart-rate monitor watches | FerrariChat

Strapless heart-rate monitor watches

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Smiles, Nov 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I hear that these are becoming more reliable and accurate.

I would love to be able to monitor my heart rate during exercising, but I don't want a chest strap.

Does anyone have any experience with the new breed of heart rate watches?

Matt

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Nothing, one way or the other?

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I had one, it didn't pick up the heart rate all that well...

You had to stop, press 2 buttons, wait 10 seconds, and hope to get a reading...

Bo

4. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Try the mio alpha.

No chest strap / man bra required.

Very accurate for running / walking -- but not so accurate with anything high impact like boxing or any sport where you are impacting your fist or twisting your lower wrist as it breaks contact with the laser.

I love it. It's about $200+ taxes if I remember correctly

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks!

6. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    You're Welcome!

I didn't leave as much detail because I wasn't sure if it would get read or not -- seeing as you have responded I will add some more info.

but - I have not posted a link here because I'm not sure if it violates the Fchat terms of service or not. I'm not affiliated with them -- just trying to help you out.

But here's some more first hand info:

It's not overly full of features - so if you are not needing GPS and all the other add ons then this is perfect.

The 2 qualms I have with this product are that it is not back lit and the fact that it's not good for "high impact to the wrist" type workouts as noted above.

But I love it despite that --it has a USB charger and a really handy light system so you can set your heart rate to a zone and the when you are running you don't have to break your stride to see the colour of the light to tell if you are in, below or above your target zone.

The light will read green blue or red. Very cool and easy to see.

The other important thing is that it is a CONSTANT monitor -- many wrist monitors only read when you stop and push the button -- that's annoying and disruptive to most people's workouts.

Best of luck with it and let me know if you need further info.

Cheers

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  8. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Go for the e pulse 2 you can get it on amazon for $85, it monitors your hear rate by picking up the blood flow in your arm and it will also tell you how many calories you have burned. I have used one for a couple of years, its a great machine.

9. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I have one by Polar which with the strap or you can touch the watch . No complains. The strap is good because it monitor and displays Constantly and alarms when I go too high or low .

10. MRF40@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Planet Urf.
    Full Name:
    like whut? Ralph??
    there were a number of x-us watches on the market 10 yrs ago. Is there anything available that really works? Much thanks.

11. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    The second generation of the Samsung Gear smart watch - the Gear 2 - will have heart rate sensors and are due out next week. They look pretty interesting.

12. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Bump
    Any update on this thread? I want a wrist watch. No chest straps. Want constant monitoring. Don't need GPS etc but not a deal breaker. Anyone experience Gamin's Forerunner 225?

13. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Jeff I've heard good things about the Garmin watches. I thought they had the chest strap though but I am not really familiar with the full lineup.

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    For what it's worth, I never did find a solution that was both comfortable and accurate.

Matt

15. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I think that's why unfortunately the chest straps remain a de facto standard. I wear one every day cycling, and slowly I've gotten used to it.

16. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    If I have something on my wrist while being active, it bothers me much more than a chest strap monitor.

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Bumpity. There are some new great things on the market today.

I'd love to wear a wristband on my run and leave my phone at home. But then later be able to download the data from the run to my phone.

A simple digital readout for time and heart rate would be great. And I need GPS if I'm leaving the phone at home.

Thanks, guys!

Matt

18. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

My wife just ordered a Fitbit Surge HR. It'll be here on Monday, but I have grave reservations about its accuracy. I'll report back what I find.

p.s. DC Rainmaker has some great reviews of wrist-based HR, and generally he seems to think the technology is getting better each day -- but not quite there (yet).

19. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I don't believe any of the non strap monitors are accurate at all.
    Check out the source for all things in fitness trackers for some great reviews
    DC Rainmaker

20. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Dan

I have one. Doesn't seem accurate. Been wearing it for a couple of months now. The dashboards are cool, but there is no way the HR function is accurate. It is a nice guide, I guess. But not a substitute for the a chest strap/watch combo. Part of the problem is that you need to wear it a couple of inches above the bone in your wrist to increase accuracy. To get it to stay there, you have to make it uncomfortably tight. Especially when you are running, or otherwise moving your arms and sweating.

What the Fitbit is good for is getting you to move. It has made me realize how sedentary I am on days I don't exercise.

21. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Luckily its not for me... its for my wife that is simply "curious" about her level of activity. I got her a chest strap to use during her aerobics and stuff, but complained instantly about it being uncomfortable. She'll probably reject the Fitbit on the same grounds.

For me, I wear a chest strap every single day while cycling (I have a Polar, and a Wahoo) and know --- to a stupid amount of detail -- my resting rate, HR zones, lactate threshold, etc.

22. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    The only ones that have sensors are any good are from Mio. I've got a Mio Fuse but only use it during exercise for the hr monitoring and have found it to be extremely accurate and comfortable. They've licensed their sensor to Garmin now too. Only downside with optical is the lack of hr variability but guessing your wife won't care. I highly recommend, straps are terrible.

23. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Interestingly, Garmin ditched Mio in their latest version of the Forerunner.

I ended up getting a Microsoft Band 2, which is accurate enough, comfortable enough to sleep with, and had a built in GPS for running and other activities. It checks all the boxes for me.

https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-us

Matt

24. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Garmin licensed from Mio for the year they were developing their on sensor which seems to have some accuracy issues.

Garmin Forerunner 230 & 235 In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

DC Rainmaker also tested the Microsoft Band 2 and found it to be extremely inaccurate in HR tracking.

Microsoft Band 2 In-Depth Fitness & Sport Focused Review | DC Rainmaker

The Mio sensor seems to still be the benchmark even though it was release 1.5 years ago.

Mio Fuse Activity Tracker and Optical HR Sensor In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker