Streak Eagle | FerrariChat

Streak Eagle

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by jcurry, Sep 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Cool plane. Used to sitting outside at the museum at WPAFB (back in the 80's). Guess it is waiting some restoration before being put back on display.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/air-force-f15-streak-eagle-set-8-world-records-2019-9

Jacob Potts, Wade and Boomhauer like this.
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I remember that aircraft doing Viking departures from Lambert Field when I visited back in the early 1980's after it was back at the factory for something. That was always nice to watch unless you lived next to the airport.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Streak Eagle stopped at Cannon AFB in the 70s when I was flying F-111Ds. Just about all of the 27 TFW aircrews, including me, went out and took a look at her. She was a real thoroughbred and looked like she was doing Mach 2.5 sitting on the ramp. They tied her down for launches because the brakes and tires could not hold her at Max AB. Blew the bolts and off she went. Flew some very interesting profiles breaking those records.

Boomhauer and jcurry like this.
  4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Terry, do you think a F-22 could be those records?

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Didn't know that...

I know it was lightened... paint, some avionics removed, etc.
    Did it have the 'stock' engines?

Power to weight was over 1:1. Partly why the Israeli F-15 was able to keep flying after one whole wing was ripped off in a collision.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- The F-22 likely could beat those records with its much more powerful engines, but not as much interest now as there was in the olden days. However, nobody is going to strip off the stealth coatings or avionics to lighten weight on the few we have.

No doubt the Streak Eagle would have been capable of supercruise, too, if anybody had wanted to try it. Not only was she lightweight, but a lot of attention was paid to surface treatment to eliminate drag.

Streak Eagle's engines had been optimized, too, so I am sure she had a big advantage in thrust over standard F-15s. Most of our production fighter engines are moderately detuned to extend time between overhauls by keeping down heat. On the hot rod of the F-111s, the F-111F, slight detuning increased TBO from around 650 hours to nearly 2000.

jcurry likes this.
  7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I believe they only did time-to-climb records with the aircraft. I wonder how fast it might have gone in level flight. I think I read that F-15s were theoretically capable of Mach 2.8 but don't believe that any actually ever went that fast.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I've talked at length with pilots that have flown the F-15 and F-22. While they couldn't go into specifics the general impression I got us the F-22 is way beyond the performance of the F-15.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    All the aluminum airframe aircraft come up against hard heating limits above Mach 2, and especially around Mach 2.5. If too much time is spent above that speed, structural damage and failure can occur from the aluminum deforming in the early process of melting. On our F-111s, there was a 300 second clock that started when you reached the edge of that envelope. On several functional check flights (FCFs) flying F-111Ds in the 70s, the total temperature warning lamp would come on and the clock would start counting down from 300 seconds. One of my FCFs got to Mach 2.55 and we were running out of airspace and the total temp warning lamp came on and started counting down. We decelerated to stay in US airspace and keep her from coming apart. Selecting military power from max AB threw you forward into the harness because of the deceleration. This was at 49,500' because we did not have pressure suits or the partial pressure devices used by the F-22As to fly above FL 500.

Foxbats flew to about Mach 2.8 for short periods of time, but had steel leading edges instead of aluminum to keep the heat at bay.

technom3 and Jaguar36 like this.
  10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    So the MiG-25s were incapable of reaching the Mach 3 they were claimed to be able to do? Presumably the same limits would apply to the MiG-31.

So what "conventional" aircraft (as opposed to an X-15-type) have been actually capable of Mach 3 - the XB-70 and all the Lockheed Blackbirds; any others?

Jacob Potts likes this.
  11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- That is about it. The XF-108 was designed to get there, but never funded. It was a huge fighter, with dry weight about the same as an F-111 (50 Klb).

I am sure the hot rod MiG-25s used for record setting could reach Mach 3 or even 3.2, but no telling what was done to them or their engines. Could have substituted titanium for nickel steel for all we know. The engines ended up being the limiting factor on speed for the production MiG-25, overheating at speeds over Mach 2.8. Record runs were made with improved engines designed for the MiG-25M, which was never produced.

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Terry, any insight on the legendary V-Max switches? I've heard of what they can add performance-wise. There were tied down with heavy gauge safety-wire Stateside but not so during Desert Shield/Storm/Calm.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wade- No, nothing I had experience with. You would need an Eagle driver. My F-15D sorties were all in 1983, well before Desert Storm. On our F-111Fs during Desert Storm, the engines were set to maximum power in the engine bay, no cockpit switches, instead of the slightly retarded setting used for peacetime operations. The F-111Fs loved it, with unheard of mission capable rates of 92%. We got nowhere near that in peacetime, but we also only took the best aircraft with us to Desert Shield.

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Awesome, we had sky high FMC rates as well, also with the newest Jets and the best of the best.

While expediting one cold quiet night at Tabuk in late December (90) or maybe it was early Jan (91). I get a call over the radio from the Maintenance Op Center requesting me to take a call from CENTAF. Arriving upstairs in the MOC, I take the phone and someone at HQ says "I need to know your FMC rate". They already knew what was reported (updated constantly) so I wondered why they were asking me. I answered 100%. They said, "No, really, I need to know the exact percent." So I repeated the same saying "Yes, that's it."

Good times. :)

Jacob Potts likes this.
  15. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Man... I have to say... I always enjoy your posts/stories/inputs. Seriously I can't get enough.

I know its weird these days to say this... but thanks for sharing your story and of course thank you for your service

Jacob Potts likes this.
  16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Justin- Nearly all of us would have paid to fly fighters, except for the fact we had no money. Definitely a rewarding career, even as a navigator.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  17. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    MIG-25 were clocked at M3.2 over the Sinai several timee during the Soviet made overflights of the Israeli forces there. The issue with these speeds was engine overspeed... only the more experienced pilots were capable of babying the engines to Mach 3+. Also, the engines needes a big check up after such a flight so it was not a norm... they went M3.2 while evading intercepts or missiles.
    In normal service, time spent at or under M2.65 was unrestricted, while higher than that the planes were restricted to 5 minutes.

Mig-31 was designed for a different role and to perform better at lower altitudes and speeds.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, they basically threw away the engines after those sorties.