street racing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

street racing

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ferrari fernatic, Apr 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "You won't hear any complaints from me about your spelling or sloppy syntax. I suspect there is a silent majority on this board that appreciates the insight and wisdom in your posts."

Brilliant. Still makes me laugh every time I reread it.

2. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Racing on the street is illegal in the UK as well I do believe. I don't race my car. I enjoy it under the old "there is a time and a place rule."
    in addition, courage would have been a more civil choice of words and "condem" is spelled, condemn. Yes, and "useing" is spelled, using. TTFN

3. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
  4. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    This is the aftermath of a streetracer in a 355, result 2 dead.

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Tell you what Granat i have edited my responce to you, you got me so P***D, if you read the whole thread i made it clear i was takeing the P**S, OK! As far as spelling is concerned, i spell how i like GOT THAT? And illegal or not it goes on all over the world Dick head. Get of ya high horse, at a gess your one of thouse F owners who think you drive fast becourse you dare to go over 50 mph. And Fan512bbi i have seen death dude beleve me and i know what motor death looks like.

6. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Sorry it werent meant for you personaly but to everyone in general, chaa cool down mate youll blow a fuse.

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    dont get me started on street racing...but now tha you did....it is irressponsible, stupid, dangerous and illegal!!!!!any one past the age of 16 that even thinks about it is very immature and stupid!!!!i cant tell you you how people i have seen and treated for injuries from street racing related accidents...thats not including the people who didnt make it!!!!if it wasonly the peope doing the racing who get killed and injured, it would be ok..but often it is other innocent people who get hurt-killed...we even had a mother walking a baby in a strollerwho where hit and killed!!!sickening!!!! both the drivers were brought up on vechicular manslaughter charges and were found guilty...too bad they werent capital punishment cases!...as i said dont get me started on street racing.......

8. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    oK mate, its been a bad F**Kin day. You have a good one yourself dude.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The only correspondance between street racing and real race track racing is that the participants can die.

However, in track driving the emergency vehicles ar 30 seconds away rather than 30 minutes away (best case) in street racing.

In street racing there are A) oncomming vehicles, B) parked vehicles, and C) things to hit if/when you leave the road. In race track racing there are not.

10. KNanthrup

KNanthrup Karting

Jan 14, 2004
    Issaquah, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think a lot of this has to do with the situation at hand. You guys are 100% right in saying that street racing is a stupid and illegal thing to do. It tends to show alot of irresponsibility and lack of maturity of the participants. On the other hand I'm going to bring in another perspective just because I've been on both sides of the spectrum.

I think that the most danger is present when racing occurs without prior plans, like when you pull up to a light and someone pulls up next to you and it goes from there, or on the freeway when a someone flies by someone else and a chase ensues. Those are the spur of the moment type decisions where it's pure adrenaline pushing you to go and the competitive nature. I've been there before, it's the force the causes you to hold your foot on the pedal no matter how fast you're going until you've beaten the other person. A some years ago when I got my license I went through this phase, and I think a lot of people do. I had a few situations where I simply pushed my car past it's limits due to trying to catch up to someone or trying to beat someone whether it be on corners or straights or freeway, and I'll be the first to admit that I was lucky I survived that phase without harm or harm on others.

At that time when I was younger (not all that long ago) I would occassionally attent the local street races. Now this is a whole different version of street racing in my opinion. I'm not sure how many of you have actually participated in this type of street racing, but I think the press gives a way different spin on it to make it sound even more dangerous (although it is). Basically how it would work is we would all meet at a given spot, usually a gas station or store parking lot (this was way late, like 1-3am) and everyone would pull in and someone would go out and scout a 'track', aka a side street someone good and straight and out of the way. Then they would come back and we'd all follow them out there and park in a line on the side and people would pull out and go.

Now in all the times I had been there I had never witnessed any close calls or instances where someone had it crashed or hit another car, or where any innocent bystanders were involved. This was done on industrial side streets where no cars came through and the only time we ever had anyone else drive in was when the police came. Usually we could go from 1am-4am without a single disturbance. Now I'm not saying it's smart or safe or even right, but I just feel that the media puts such a negative spin on street racing making it sound like they line up on busy streets and weave around people, etc. And that does happen but I think it mostly occurs on my reference to type #1 of street racing.

Just fuel for the fire I guess... I don't mean to defende street racing at all but I have seen that side of it and I feel that the press over hypes 'organized' street racing. Always best case scenario is take it to the track... that's what the track is for, it's prepped, it's organized, it has all the proper safety equipment. I think people start to learn that as they grow up, as I have, but unfortunately some don't make it that far.

11. Boston 7777

Boston 7777 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Ferrari's are not the safest cars in the world so i would drive with caution.

12. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    In what way do you mean not the safest?

13. KNanthrup

KNanthrup Karting

Jan 14, 2004
    Issaquah, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I would assume because of their power... I'm not up on my ferrari crash ratings but i dont think theyre THAT bad :]