Stripes on 812 | FerrariChat

Stripes on 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by x599, Nov 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I interested to know about the significance, origin and history of the lines and stripes used on historic Ferrari's and currently seen on Tdf and various cars.

Is this an option that I can order on 812?

Is there a specific guideline to how it's applied?

Thanks

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The stripe of your choice is certainly available from tailor made and probably in other departments to.
    As you ask; a little 'stripe' history follows below>

Now the facts.... Years ago when auto racing became an international pastime many race cars body styles were similar in appearance thus difficult to tell exactly who was who. Colors were agreed upon in the early days of auto racing and standardized in the Code Sportif International (International Sporting Code), Appendix I, of the Federation Internationale de L'Automobile (FIA). The color was associated with the nationality of the car's owner; hence, an Italian car raced by an Englishman would be painted British racing green.

This was a way for the cars to be identified as to country of origin, and here are just a few examples.

Red = Italian (Think Ferrari)
    Green = British (Think Jaguar)
    Silver = Germany (Think Mercedes)

The FIA no longer requires that race cars follow this color code. Their web site states explicitly that Formula 1 cars, for example, are exempt from national colors.

At the time, white with blue stripes was considered to be the American road racing colors in international racing so when Peter Brock came on with Shelby it was determined that all the 1965 GT 350's were to be painted white in color. Brock had an idea... One of his first cars was painted white with two wide blue stripes. It was painted this way as a tribute to the Briggs Cunningham road race cars of the 1950's, which also raced in Europe. This is where Lucky's white base body color with twin blue Le Mans stripes that are forever linked to the 1965 GT350 came from and we will proudly wear those colors to represent the United States.

Class dismissed. Let's go racing!

Here is a list of distinctive national colors assigned to vehicles taking part in international competitions.

Code Country Colors Numbers;

A Austria Body & Bonnet: Blue # Black on White background
    B Belgium Yellow # Black
    BR Brazil Body & Bonnet: Pale Yellow
    Chassis & Wheels: Green # Black
    C Cuba Body: Yellow
    Bonnet: Black # Black on White background
    CDN Canada Body & Bonnet: Red with wide lengthwise White stripe from front to rear # Black on White background
    CH Switzerland Body & Underframe: Red
    Bonnet: White # Black
    CZ Czech Republic Body: White
    Bonnet: Blue & White
    Underframe: Red # Blue
    D Germany Silver-grey # Red
    DK Denmark Body & Bonnet: Silver-grey
    National flag as a lengthwise stripe on bonnet # Red on White background
    E Spain Body, Chassis & Springs: Red
    Bonnet: Yellow # Black on Yellow background or White on Red background
    ET Egypt Pale Violet # Red on White background
    F France Blue # White
    FIN Finland Body: White
    Bonnet: White with two Blue stripes shaping a Latin cross # Black on White
    GB Great Britain Green # White
    GR Greece Very Pale Blue with two White lengthwise stripes on Bonnet # Black on White background
    H Hungary Body, front: White
    Body, rear: Green
    Bonnet: Red # Black
    HJK Jordan Body & Bonnet: Brown # Black on White background
    I Italy Red # White
    IRL Ireland Green with horizontal band of orange all around Body & Bonnet # White
    J Japan Body & Bonnet: Ivory White with Red disk on Bonnet # White on Black background
    L Luxembourg Body & Bonnet: Tricolor lengthwise stripe (Red-White- Blue) from front to rear # Black on White background
    MC Monaco Body & Bonnet: (Gold Blue cross-stripe on Bonnet) # Black on White
    MEX Mexico Body & Bonnet: Gold
    Blue cross-stripe on Bonnet # Red on White
    NL Netherlands Orange # White
    P Portugal Body & Bonnet: Red
    Underframe: White # White
    PL Poland Body & Bonnet: White
    Underframe: Red # Red on White
    RA Argentina Body: Blue
    Bonnet: Yellow
    Chassis: Black # Red on White
    RCH Chile Body: Red
    Bonnet: Blue
    Underframe: White # Half Blue and half Red or all Red on a White background
    S Sweden Body & Bonnet: Lower part Blue, upper part Yellow (Three cross bands of Blue on top of Bonnet) # White
    T Thailand Body & Bonnet: Pale Blue with Yellow horizontal band around Body & Bonnet
    Wheels: Pale Yellow # White on Blue
    U Uruguay Body & Bonnet: Pale Blue with large Red band around the lower part of Bonnet # White on Black
    USA United States of America Body & Bonnet: White
    Underframe: Blue # Blue on White
    ZA South Africa Body: Gold
    Bonnet: Green # Black on Yellow

NB: The use of distinctive colors of nationality is compulsory when the supplementary regulations of the competition require it. These colors are determined by the nationality of the competitor.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Of2worlds, thank you!

But you still haven't explained the rational behind the shape of the stripes, size and design?

I also see some stripes that go sideways across the bonnet ?

I will attach a photo for reference.

Renman57 likes this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Wow CH, great great knowledge sharing!

x599, I will just give my opinion- and a disclaimer- as with all opinions, we are always learning and thus, opinions change over time.

My opinion is to leave the stripes for the limited and super cars. However, if you like them then I think a visit to Tailor Made is in order :)

JagShergill and Nelsonc275 like this.
  5. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    This is exactly how I feel, and I couldn't have said it better myself. To each their own though!

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Some more detail then as the stripes were often used to identify similar cars being raced. Color as noted above often reflected the nationality of the driver or team. The livery was something slightly different and could be thought of as an early example of product branding. Making your car stand out from the competition. It was also used to hi light the important race number used to score the car in a race as can be seen in the white livery on blue 250 SWB competition car. Again the color often played a role in the design and use of more than one color. The livery had historic connections as something like private army official colors that were loyal to the king or queen depending on the time period. For cars it was a way to be identified like a 'brand name' would be but simply by the colors and their design on the body of the race car. The painter probably had as much say as anyone in the design of the stripes with some direction from the team owner. Because stripes had a 'racing' connection they became popular options for street driven versions of race cars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010
    Very clear, thank you!

of2worlds likes this.
  8. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010

Is applying stripes to non LE cars considered like trying to pretend like it's LE? Or it it just not something you do on street cars?

I'm honestly in informed here and my questions are genuine.

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Stripes and the ribbon livery have in recent times become part of the Ferrari heritage. So there is no right or wrong answer; rather simply what you prefer as a 'look' for your Ferrari. The market has certainly embraced the stripe idea as the tdF amply illustrates. Stripes have become more prominent on the performance editions but most every Ferrari including the occasional FF have appeared with stripes now...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The Speciale is not a limited car and nearly all have stripes. None of the street cars are race cars - even the hyper cars. I've also read from racing sources that the 'XX' cars are not race cars either since they don't actually compete in racing. My point is, if it looks really great with a well designed stripe then it looks really great. No one should think you are pretending. Sounds like the controversy over the shields which many believe don't belong on any street Ferrari yet almost every one has it. Some non-LE cars actually look better with stripes than the LE versions IMO. The F12 TDF is one example. Very hard to pull off a stripe with that hood but it sure is awesome when done right.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't see how anyone could not agree. I think its almost like with the SF Shields. Originally they were only for racing cars, and now all cars can have them- and most do. I think its really what tickles your fancy. My opinion is simply belonging to me. I think to build on what Solid State says, the Scud wasn't strictly limited either and most have stripes.

12. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Learned something new today, apparently you can order "dream lines" as paint accents on the 812, I think they are a better option than the racing inspired lines discussed here earlier.