sudden darkness | FerrariChat

sudden darkness

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ernie Taylor, Oct 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ernie Taylor

Ernie Taylor Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    My 1984 308 has been playing games with the headlights. I thought that I had accidently hit the light switch with my knee the first two times it happened but after it happen the third time I realize my headlights just go off all by themselves. Each time its happened its been very dark. Moving the lever back and forth brings the lights back up and they seem to work fine at that point, takes about ten seconds. I can't say if the light buckets actually go down when the lights go off, I've payed more attention to just trying to get them back on. Any thoughts, I didn't see any curciut breakers in the wiring diagrams? Thanks for any help!

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    First thing to try is cleaning the contacts in your column switch. Get some good electrical contact cleaner and clean 'em off. If it still does it you may need to look at your fuse panel and possibly the relays but it sounds like the switch from your description.

EDIT: Oh yeah, get prepared because the ASN's will be here shortly!!

3. Ernie Taylor

Ernie Taylor Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    thanks, I'll start there......that sounds easy enough

4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I had a simillar problem and it was the fuse block melting. The fuse holders if not pushed tight enough caused heating and melting of the block. I know many here replace them or solder them but I think removing the fuses and pinching the contacts together tight so that when re-inserted the fuses are not loose has worked good for me. I had a problem with the headlights not lowering but that was fixed by replacing the relay.

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  6. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I had the same problem w my '85 308. It was the 2 connections inside of the stalk switch. One was disconnected and erratically making contact. The other was barely connected. I resoldered them and that was that.

7. Ernie Taylor

Ernie Taylor Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    I just removed the rather odd sterring wheel nut on my 308 and now realize there is more to this, I thought getting a tool was tough enough. I think a puller must be in order now and am wondering who may have done this. Looks like the puller would need to attach using those pretty small holes that held the sterring wheel on. Seems a little weak but maybe it pulls easy......anyone experienced? Wanting to get to the light switch. Thanks!

8. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Before you take anything apart, check the stalk switch. On my 85 the solder (sp?) connecting the wire on the inside of the switch came loose and caused the same problem. If you CAREFULLY pull the rotating end off you can check this. I think that there are old threads showing pictures. I still have not bought a soldering gun to fix yet, so if anyone has any tips I'd be appreciative.

Thanks, George

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Ernie,

There is a steering wheel puller that you need. I have had this one since I had a 75 pinto! The only thing I needed was two metric bolts which screw into the head (see photo). It comes off pretty easy, my wheel was making a terrible scratching noise and I thought it was the horn contacts. Turned out there is a couple of pieces of metal and plastic that form a kind of bushing on the outside of the shaft near the center of the mechanism. I put some white grease down there and it seemed to fix it. I did not want to take the switch off as it is working however it seems like it is pretty fragle especially the plastic tabs that return the turn indicator. I try to use the thing as little as possible, using the indicator but turning it off before it has a chance to break. Hope the pics help.

Rob

10. Ernie Taylor

Ernie Taylor Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    Thanks George, I did as you suggested. Pulled on the end of the light lever and off came the rotating knob. I looked at that knob before but it didn't look like it was removable so figured the problem was under the steering wheel. Anyway, one of the wires is loose and needs to be solderd. Thanks very much!! Another member had told me to check the switch also but figured I was smart enough to know where it was......whoops!

I'd still be interested in hearing the proper way to attach a puller to the steering wheel, just incase I need to go any further later. After all, I did make a tool to remove that round nut.

11. Ernie Taylor

Ernie Taylor Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    Thanks for the pictures Rob, it looks realitively simple with those two larger bolt holes. Mine dosen't have those two holes, it's just got the 6 really small holes for the steering wheel, I'm not convinced that they would stand the stress of a puller.....I guess a small tug to see wouldn't hurt? I was thinking about a three point puller and some clips as attachment points held in place by the small screws?

12. boxer frank

boxer frank Karting

Sep 30, 2004
    toronto canada
    Full Name:
    FRANK
    Thanks for the pictures Rob, it looks realitively simple with those two larger bolt holes. Mine dosen't have those two holes, it's just got the 6 really small holes for the steering wheel, I'm not convinced that they would stand the stress of a puller.....I guess a small tug to see wouldn't hurt? I was thinking about a three point puller and some clips as attachment points held in place by the small screws?

make an adaptor plate U CAN BOLT ALL SIX BOLTS THROUGH THEN PULL FROM THE ADAPTOR!

13. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    great post.
    My headlights have been doing this also; random times I'd use the turn signals the lights would go off and require a quick tap on the lever. I'm going to pull the stalk switch and check mine too.
    I've got a lot of headlight work to do this weekend!!!

14. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hi Everyone,

JUST went through a total headlights/turn signal failure in the 1985 308GTS QV. Basically, the main light RELAY (fuse box top relay that is the second one in from the right side). Seems the top blade was not making a good contact. Upon removing the relay i could see hints of melted fuse block plastic on the top blade. As we all know, the headlight relay does generate some heat.

Solution: removed the relay, cleaned both the relay's top male contact and also the fuse box's top female contact within the fuse box. Also note that you MIGHT need to slightly realign the fuse box's top blade female connector.

Hope this information helps someone.

15. Ernie Taylor

Ernie Taylor Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    I re-soldered the wire in the light switch and all is fine again. I noticed a small little ball bearing on my carpet that fell out of the switch, didn't see it come out and just noticed it part way through the job. I was told to be carefull, surprised it didn't hide under the seat or anywhere else hard to find. Anyway, if you don't know it's there and it falls out you might not like the way it operates when reassembled. Thanks for the help!

16. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    The single ball bearing goes on the top of the black part on the stalk. There should be a small recess for it on the right side in the center of the black stalk part.

If you need a pic lemme know as i can walk down the driveway to the car and take a pic for you. Alas, my new home makes it more challenging to just go take pics of everything all the time as i have done previously here for Fchat members :(

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Also, there should be a small, usually black, spring in the hole behind the ball bearing, if not, then search your floorboards again.

If necessary, use a dust buster with a clean bag, then carefully paw thru the debris. I often put a small magnet in the bag just to be sure I don't accidently loose something after it's been picked up.

The ball/spring is what provides the detent (aka 'click' feeling) when twisting the knob. The switch will work fine w/o it, but won't feel like it's clicking into position.

18. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    My 308 did this once. I checked the relay and it was very hot. I replaced the relay and the problem went away and the new relay stays cool all the time. $6 fix.

19. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    What is the relay # so i can go to Pep Boys/Napa/etc and buy a new one.???