suddenly people become an expert in style and beauty when a new model comes out???!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

suddenly people become an expert in style and beauty when a new model comes out???!!

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by johns930, Mar 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    I guess house rules is house rules when it comes to calling someone an 'idiot' but, nevertheless, the opening post of this thread is immature at best, ridiculous at worst, so the beast did have a point.

2. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I'd ban him for mutilating the Queen's English. The contraction form of "you are" is "you're," not "your."

3. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Funny you should ask..

The Porsche Museum is far and above the more interesting museum. And this coming from a diehard Ferrari Fanboy and author of travel books about car museums.

4. omniman

omniman Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2008
    Florida/Michigan
    Full Name:
    James L.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #30 TheMayor, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think you are completely wrong here. What is good and bad is in the eye of the viewer. It IS people's preferences that matter. And, those preferences CHANGE over time as we get used to things. That's true for design, for art, for fashion, for music, and all things creative.

I personally love Classical Music over Rap music. Tell someone who likes Rap that they are wrong in liking Rap over Classical will go over like a lead balloon.

There was a time when the Apple Imac was THE THING in the design world. It was "it". Look at the picture below and you will shake your head and wonder what the hell we were thinking. It's hideous. Thank heavens Apple realized this and moved on to a new design format. It should be the same for cars.

TELLING people what is "good design" vs what they like can be summed up in the old saying: You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    :)

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    +1

8. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Id switch to decaf...

You know whats just as ridiculous ? People on an Internet forum who actually get annoyed by others opinions...

9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I drink wine I like, but it is enjoyable to take wine appreciation "classes" to learn more.

Scotches taste sooo different but I disagree on what is good based ony taste.

I enjoyed many art courses iny lengthy (7 yr 250 credit) college career.
    But what I personally like may or may not match the experts.

I get annoyed with the snobbery. It is fun to learn from experts in fields of any aesthetic, but once the experts turn to insulting anyone at all they lose all credibility.

Discussing likes and dislikes about Ferrari style is fun and a big part of what we do here. There are those with tact about people's personal cars and those without.

<disclaimer with humor... I drive a mondial and love it's looks. Hahahha>

10. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Sorry for spelling errors in above... Posted by phone.

11. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    I don't think it's that people think they are experts. Whether you can afford the vehicle or not, there is something to be said about personal taste and multiple interpretations of the same object. On many occasions I've had someone point out a tiny detail in something that I never saw, regardless of it being something that costs $500,000 or $10.

There's always something to learn :)

12. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Shhhh.... Don't bring common sense and sound reasoning to the table, after all this is the internet.

13. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Heard an interesting comment earlier today. Someone refered to it as the F12 "Berlinator"...Obviously based on the terminator movies / berlinetta following the prefix. That could be considered either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view and your personal taste.

14. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California

So using your reasoning, your opinion of things YOU can't afford is completely invalid. So you aren't allowed to have an opinion or express it, if you can't buy something? Wow, that is insane. So art critics, must be able to afford "The return of the prodigal son" before critiquing it? You're numbers are way off just FYI. Ferrari built over 4,000 612s and over 22,000 430s. I don't mean for any of this to sound like an attack, but the logic behind this argument is beyond flawed.

15. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    That is a good example, and also brings into discussion the concept of "fashion". Today we have "car stylists"... this is not a pretentious name, but rather a very accurate description. Car design (other than the mechanical) is FASHION. Not everyone like the cutting edge, or certain eras; Hipster style is a good example. Capri pants for men is indeed a fashion, but not everyone likes it. I know I don't. Likewise, I am not a fan of current Ferrari fashion, but they are indeed on the cutting edge of the now.

16. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Great post

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Taste is a matter of taste. No right or wrong here.

I like the F12.

18. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    A new car is a consumer product, the consumer decides and pays for the value of the Ferrari, not critics, and it's not art per say. We might think it is, but it's just a car people pay NOW.

19. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    "Taste is a matter of taste"

Yes -- but there are certain things that go beyond taste. If something hits your eye as unbalanced or in discord with something else, it is more than taste. Your sense are telling you something. If you look at a statue or a painting and it creates pleasure in your head, and you just want to stay there and look at it, it is more than taste.

There is a difference between taste and fashion.

20. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Einstein reportedly said, "If at first an idea is not absurd, there is no hope for it." I'm sure the art world had trouble processing the Impressionists at first. Probably looked like gobbly gook to most. I also applaud Ferrari for pushing the envelope, even if I don't love every effort.

I didn't "get" the iPad at first either. Now, I own several.

21. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Of course Ferrari cares. They don't just market their cars to those lucky 1,000+ people who will own that car, but to the tens of thousands that DREAM about owning that car.

Imagine if you will Ferrari making a car that ONLY 1,000 people like. And no one else. Of course they would sell those 1,000 cars. But nothing else. No Mattel 1/18 scale diecast models of it. No handmade BBR 1/43 scale models. No posters, shirts, or books. Nothing. Well of course that won't happen. But then again Ferrari only caring about just the people who can buy that particular car won't happen either.

22. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    This discussion about affordability determining desirability is silly. I CAN afford the F12 and I will not buy it, because I don't like it.

I am certain it is a terrific car to drive, probably the best Ferrari yet made. I also think certain aspects of the car look lovely (especially the rear three quarter view), however Ferrari got the front end wrong (for me), as they did with the 599. The design may be dictated by aerodynamic concerns and engine positioning, so it may well be that the car drives so well BECAUSE it looks like that, but it still doesnt make it more appealing to me.

I bought an Alfa 8C, knowing it is a disappointing drive. And it was...But every time I opened my garage door I smiled. That car was SO right from every angle. And it will still look stunning in 20 years. The F12 won't

The FF is also unsuccessful in my eyes but the design is progressive and makes a statement. I don't think the F12 is as influential a design.

Having said that, congratulations to all those that buy a F12, I am certain it will be a memorable experience and a phenomenal drive!

23. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Sorry OP, but you need to spell properly, your posts are a pain to read.

I'm on a car forum and can't give my opinion on a car. "LOL"...

Ps. The FF is still an ugly Ferrari. Hate me.

24. platinumsc

platinumsc Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2004
    This is one of the most illogical posts I have ever seen.
    There's only one President but everyone has an opinion on how the office should be run.
    I don't have a 747 but I have an opinion on how airlines should treat customers.
    I'm not a woman but I have an opinion on how I want sex from them.

So, you want everyone that can't afford an exotic to get off your forum or keep their mouth shut?
    Good luck with that.

25. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    I always find it weird when people talk about, or worse, criticize stuff they cant afford.