Summit racing explain X and H pipe.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Summit racing explain X and H pipe....

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F456M, Jul 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The H pipe does not seem to affect hp too much and the small pipes act more as balance tubes to cut down resonance. His 599 exhaust sounds awesome, too.

3. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

SE16, thanks for posting those pics! So it appears there is an "H" type crossover in the resonator (right side of the pics)? Is that the inlet or the outlet side?

And is there another crossover on the left side of the pics as well, and it's simply hidden?

4. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    Hi. The H is on the inlet side . I couldn’t see one on the outlet side.

I just put straight pipes on. The guys said to try them and if they are too loud then they will add one or two Hs.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Very interesting to see that center section inside. There is no doubt that it reduce the noise. But what I found out is that it actually makes a distinctive sound on some rpms. When I put on a Stebro X-pipe which is basically an oval one foot long pipe, the special sound of the original center disappeared. How was the difference now with your straight pipes? And what else are your exhaust consisting of for components? I cut up my original rear mufflers just like you did on your center. I had to see how they were.

6. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    I will pick her up tomorrow. I did manage to hear her at idle and she was surprisingly quiet. I just want to ensure that there is no drone or impact on driving.

The remainder of the system is stock but the muffler was in bad shape and sounded horrible..like it was blowing so I didn’t hear any sounds I liked from it.

F456M likes this.
  7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The rear mufflers are actually quite complex and comfortable while driving with no drone whatsoever. Which is important of course. Just sad they are well muted with open flaps too. That is why I made some changes inside them. To both get the car quiet for driving home at night and in public underground garages, but still loud when open.

I have started to realize that the trick might be to get the pulses from each cylinder more noticable as long towards the rear of the car as possible. Not just open or muted/muffled. I have a friend with a 550 with no cats, no center. Just Tubi rear mufflers. And tha race sounds fantastic and even if it is some decibel, the sound is so pure music that is is not like noise. Quite interesting theme...

8. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I also removed the resonator on my 550 and put on an X pipe and liked it a lot, then just for SAG's I tried a set of straight pipes and it was LOUD and the drone at certain RPM's drove me batty so I went back to the X pipe. But this was with Quicksilver aftermarket mufflers too.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferrari went to straight pipes on the 575M in late Summer 2003, but they also matched them with a new set of mufflers. Both the 575M and Superamerica HGTC mufflers (different for each model) were matched to those straight pipes for a sportier sound without resonance. Muffler and center pipe combinations are basically trial and error to match what an owner is looking for without resonance. Even then, some owners like resonance.

10. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    On a side note, the welding on OEM Italian exhausts is unbelievably bad. Lamborghini exhausts are the same ( I still had the filler wire sticking out of the finished welds).. Look at the welding inside that resonator.. gross