Suntek PPF | FerrariChat

Suntek PPF

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Baptist, Apr 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Baptist

Baptist Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    I have had 2 cars installed with Suntek and whilst looking completely invisible, the protection it offers compared to ventureshield is pretty bad.
    Both cars have alot of penetrations through the film from stones, seems to offer almost no protection at all.
    Have I just been unlucky? I previously had film that was 5 year old and like new, this suntek just seems to break up so easily.

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have it and there is one on the hood that is noticeable. I think the film is doing it's job, the paint is untouched below. I think it is very easy to clean the car and keep it looking like new with the Suntek. I had XPEL on another car and you could tell there was film. Rocks are going to hit the car and if you can see a mark on the shield then it's doing it's job. If you like thick films that are obvious then don't get the Suntek next time. I just don't think with a really thin film like this that you are going to hide the rock hits but the paint is still protected and that is what matters.

Viperjoe likes this.
  3. Baptist

Baptist Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    It looks amazing but does seem at cost of protection.
    Mine has some chips that have ripped the film, like it were cling film. Paint underneath hasnt survived.

4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #4 wrs, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Here are some pictures I took of what I am talking about. I have one sort of smear on the hood from rubber at COTA that I haven't been able to get out with alcohol and then there are the four rock strikes just down and to the right of it. The first picture is in sunlight and you can't see them at all. I have taken closeups in the next two pictures with sunlight and the fourth is a blowup of the rock strikes with the flash which creates enough contrast to see the edges on extreme zoom.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I think it's clear that the rocks didn't penetrate to the paint but the edges of the film are not clear and so the dirty edges don't look good but the tech said the only way to fix it is to replace it. He said he would redo the hood for just the cost of material but I don't think it's worth it.

5. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I've been to COTA multiple times with three different cars wearing xpel and never had anything break thorough to the paint. But I too like white cars and yellowing/dulling is an issue.

Every time you remove PPF, you are risking some paint being pulled. I don't know if it is true, but I think that risk goes up with the age of the paint.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using FerrariChat.com mobile app