Supercar market oversupply | FerrariChat

Supercar market oversupply

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RichardCH, Aug 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Everyone who has a Ferrari should watch this, Ferraris dont have the same quality issues but the depereciation on a MC 720S is Brutal !

2. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    What a bellend.

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    My Macca experience has been completely different.

First off, buying new for any of these cars...... Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, McLaren..... all depreciate.

McLaren seems to attract a lot of the 'latest and greatest' crew. As a result I was able to buy a car with 1000 miles for 25% off. With the options on the car I got, prices are about what I paid. So, I'm good there.

Reliability has been spot on. It hasn't burnt to a crisp, it looks exotic and can run away from pretty much everything on the road and track.

I bought from a McLaren dealer and the experience was so much better than any Ferrari store I have been in (except Wide World of Cars.... thanks Joan!). I was treated as a valued customer. No attitude. No BS. The same goes for parts and service.

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The video guy is in need of a good editor, as you need a life longer than ours to watch the whole thing. Unfortunately I suspect most of his viewers will be people with more time on their hands than the average supercar buyer. But he still makes some fair points, and seems to have genuine grievances, and it’s worth skimming. But someone give him some scissors.

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    nothing new for supercars that are not in some way hyped or limited in production.

part of the mac depreciation problem is self inflicted by their own way of pushing new models out early, not buying back the previous models on trade in at decent numbers, complicated/expensive warranty and extended warranty programs.

i am a bottom feeder - i never buy new, and usually try to time my purchase towards the bottom of the depreciation curve. but to make that an effective strategy, you cannot want to be the first on your block with a new model. if you do, then you pay the price - literally.

6. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    Attractive lease terms reduce the exclusivity.

Price stays high when demand exceeds supply and good brands manage that artificially.

LightGuy likes this.
  7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #bottomfeedersarebuyerstoo

paulchua likes this.
  8. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    So... how much did he lose? Sat through 2 minutes then stopped

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    5k GBP lost (from 9 to 10 min in the video). Actually made money when you include the money he made off the YouTube videos/sponsorship he got for the 720s videos.

SCEye likes this.
  10. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Thanks. 5K is nothing. I was thinking 100K.
    The limited edition 675LT retailed for $500K. Well, they go for mid 200's now. that's 50% loss.

also, there's no sales tax in England? Buying a car in the States and selling it for the same price net the buyer a 8-9% loss.

11. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    20% sales tax in England (known as VAT - Value Added Tax) and unlike many other countries it is not shown as a separate figure or cost, it's legally required to be included in the final invoice figure. It's only paid once, when the car is new and sold to a retail customer (rules slightly different for when the car is bought buy a VAT registered business - which many of these YouTubers will actually be). It is generally accepted to be part of the price of a new car here in the UK and is simply not accounted for as a separate cost (other than by the new supplying dealer).

SCEye likes this.
  12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    to me
    oh ok. thank. that works differently in the US