Supercharged 308GTB almost ready to go | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Supercharged 308GTB almost ready to go

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wildegroot, Apr 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Hey thats an awesome 308 you have there

Make sure you change the stub axles now bcus theres no way those ancient F units will handle all that new power

You dont want to do all that work then have a 3 wheeled Ferrari

2. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    rt[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I'm probably too critical but as much as I love the 308, I've never liked the 308 exhaust note, especially at idle. I'd be very interested to hear your car's sound.

Wil

3. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Done already. I repainted the calipers and they're now back on the car with brembo logos.

The compression ratio is still the stock 8:1 which makes this engine a good candidate for force feeding.

Wil

4. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thanks.

Yeah, I know one guy who lost two wheels like that already. Those stub-axles are actually Fiat parts. I think the stresses of running slicks on the race track is what they realy don't like. Machining new axles from shock-resistant tool-steel is on the agenda for sure.

Thanks for the warning though.

Wil

5. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    The truly weak link is the rear wheel bearing housing...it likes to explode when you run slicks

6. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Hadn't heard that one! But it makes sense. I imagine though, that if I came up with a stronger stub-axle and up-right, the next weakest part would then give up the ghost like the lower control arm or something like that.

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    A while back someone found a source for better stub. If you wind up making a bgetter one that will fit my 1985 308 let me know as perhaps you would be so kind as to sell me one. Many thanks.

Sloan, how do you solve the exploding housing?

8. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    There was a tread many years ago but the short story is that you have to have a new housing machined (billet), the stock housing is a casting.

Never ever heard a problem with a-arms, they seem to have been built for a tank.

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agree about the A-Arms, but what are we to do about the known issue of the stud axle? Do we just buy a new one, get it inspected and ?treated? in some manner? Does someone make a stronger one?

The reason i ask in that next year may go with Hoosiers all season. Am getting amazing life out of the Mich Pilot Cups, but then again the track guys say Cups "wear like iron" versus Hoosiers.

10. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    Has your racer been featured in any mags? What are you up to? 20PSI? Que Bella Machina,Grazie

11. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Hey, real surprise to have this thread picked up again! I've thought about sending some pictures to Forza Magazine but haven't gotten around to it yet. Should do it though! I've been really busy on another project car, that I hope to have on the road some time in 2009, and the 308 has taken a back seat for a while.

The boost on the 308 was peaking at 16 PSI and the the thing really flew but it still has the OEM cast pistons in it and I was afraid the engine might blow. Boost is at a more sane 8 PSI now and the car is still pretty quick. Really pissed I didn't change the pistons to forged units while the engine was apart! I had some silly notion about seeing what could be done with a totally stock engine if it was supercharged - waste of time. At some point in the future I'll probably rip into it again and change the pistons. I have a bunch of other mods I'd like to make then too.

Thank you for the interest,

Wil

12. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hi Wil,

I have visited your web site on many an occasion over the years. You are one of the select few on the planet that can make this work. I have been periodically checking in on your work [308] 3or 4 yrs IIRC. With all the gurus around here everyone wins.
    I'm trying to gleam what I can to apply to my Merak. One day, maybe I too will supercharge mine! Right now though, I'm just learning. Thanks for all the great posts....inspiring.

Ciao,
    George

13. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Hi George,

Thanks for the interest.

My current project car is Maserati powered too but if that Merak was my car I would seriously consider installing the front drive assembly from a Ford Taurus, or something similar, into the back. The Carburetor fitted V6 in that car just doesn't lend itself to supercharging or turbo charging very well and it's an expensive engine to work on. The Taurus engine already has EFI, distributor-less ignition, intake plenums and will it make major power on a much more reasonable budget. OEM and performance parts are more available and much cheaper for the Ford. Call it sacrilege but I've reviewed the options before and what I'm proposing here makes much more sense to me. Drive a Noble some time and it'll make you a believer

Wil

14. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    As a parallel concept a lot of folks are taking Corvette engines and putting them into Datsun 240Z-280Z cars. Talk about power to weight ratio. I don't think I could do that to my Z. Foolish as it is, the engine is like the soul of the car, so I'm not ready for a transplant. As far as my Merak goes, I'm just looking to refine areas of weakness. I'm old school enough that the engine and carbs need to stay, part of the Italian Art, I must say.

I will continue to follow your outstanding/creative work with the greatest of interest. Thanks for the post Wil.

Ciao,
    George

15. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Wil,
    Is there any chance you could post more pictures of the 308? Did you use coilovers? Did you ever consider using progressive rate springs? The wheels appear to be 17", is that correct? I like the way you set up the front bumper removal.

Ciao,
    George

16. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #116 wildegroot, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
    I must have some more photos. I'll have to look but there are photos under this thread and another one on the brakes:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202588

Well, of course the car came from the factory with steel Koni coil-overs but I got rid of that old technology and installed a set of aluminum externally adjustable Vari-shocks with adjustable ride height. These shocks carry smaller diameter springs that allow larger wheels and tires to be installed. I bought the shocks with the springs (non progressive) which were supposed to be matched to the 308 but I think the rear springs are too soft and I may try a set of progressive rate springs next. The wheels are Kinesis 17" diameter and they're modular. I don't remember the widths but they're wider than the stock wheels. The tires are Good Year Eagle F1 but I don't remember those sizes either. I'm a really busy guy and little details like that just escape somehow (no brain no pain). I was actually given the shock and wheel info by fellow F-chatter enjoythemusic who did a lot of the original leg work on those items I believe.

I actually never removed the factory bumper. This 308 was built for the German market and was originally modified by Konig. They might still have the bumper on a pile somewhere. It had what I guess was a Konig installed grille with large amber lights in it and restrictive lattice work. I had to remove all that to get air to the intercooler heat exchangers I installed under the headlights and the bigger aluminum radiator which now has much more heat to get rid of, due to the power increase and the oil-to-water oil cooler which of course sends the radiator even more heat.

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Wil,
    Were you ever able to get a sound clip of your exhaust? I would love to hear how that particular set-up sounds.
    thanks
    russ

18. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #118 wildegroot, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
    Hello Russ,

We bought a new digital video camera a while back but I've been too busy to sit down and figure out how to work it (I don't own an audio recorder). Anyway, now you've brought it up again I'll make an effort to make a recording. Sorry for dropping the ball on that one.

Too bad you live so far away or I'd give you a ride - the car sounds great to me. It makes nice noise at Idle and sounded really wailing cool while I was standing next to it on the dyno. Not at all like a stock 308. The slight whine from the supercharger coming out of the side air intakes sounds nice too. Since I eliminated the oil-to-air oil cooler and replaced it with a second air filter to feed the engine, the whine comes in through the driver's window when it's down but the whine is subtle enough not to be annoying. If you're ever in the New York City / Philadelphia area (I live between the two) let me know.

Wil

19. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Wil,
    Your killing me over here....I'm starting to get the 308 bug LOL. Bad-az-est 308 on the planet u have, I must say!
    Ciao,
    George

20. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #120 wildegroot, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
    Wait till Mark E has his V12 308 on the road. I'll have to install a second 308 drive-train in the front of my car to best him. :D

21. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    I wanted to know why you decided to go the supercharger route over the twin turbo setup. What are the advantages and trade offs when comparing both systems?
    Ciao,
    George

22. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    We'll, I could say I chose super-charging over turbo-charging for a more instant throttle response but some of the new turbos have such low mass impellers and shafts that turbo-lag is not the issue it used to be. I mostly went for super-charging because I didn't want all the heat from a turbo set-up in such a crowded engine compartment. It's hot enough in there in my opinion.

If I was going to boost a 348, 355, 360, etc, I think I would go for twin turbos because of all the room behind the engine and the comparative difficulty, compared to the 308, of dealing with the belts and pulleys on a longitudinally mounted engine.

23. Club_Sport

Club_Sport Rookie

Aug 11, 2009
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Just wanted to revive this thread for all those that wanted to hear the car in action. This is video from this past weekend at Watkins Glen. Still have some suspension/brake/transmission developement to do but the car is coming along nicely and should be much quicker at the next event @ NJMP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0QmjBYds8Y

24. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    Go to Aircraft Spruce and get some ducting from them. I use to use a piece of that in place of the rubber thing that came with the car. I think the stuff I used was about 4.5 inches. I comes in one color, orange.

25. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Absolutely beautiful car Wil. And, absolutely wonderful machine work there. I have a decent milling machine myself but want to move up to a proper full size Bridgeport and I'm just wondering if you actually use the computer controlled stuff or do you do your work all by hand/eye?