Supercharged 308GTB almost ready to go | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Supercharged 308GTB almost ready to go

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wildegroot, Apr 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    I don't know if a conversion kit exists but if the compressor brackets and new hoses had to be custom made it would possibly cost about $4000 with a new compressor, new filter/dryer, R134 refrigerant, etc.

2. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Agreed and thank you.

3. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Bump due to the new Forza article. :)

Alot more detail here than in the Magazine.

4. SandydeG

SandydeG Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2011
    Milford, NJ
    Full Name:
    Sandy de Groot
  5. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
  6. SandydeG

SandydeG Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2011
    Milford, NJ
    Full Name:
    Sandy de Groot
    I had no idea what was in store when I said 'honey, go buy yourself an old Ferrari and have some fun' 6 years ago. Absolutely. no. idea. But it's been worth every penny (honest) and Wil continues to have more fun than a cat in a canary cage with his one of a kind ride.

7. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Sandy/Wil

With those big wheels and tires, were any modifications made to provide additional clearance, or did they fit by just coordinating the offsets?

Thanks.

8. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Small mistake in the article, the brake calipers are from a 993 not 996 :)

9. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    I installed new racing-type shocks (dampers) with smaller diameter springs which allowed more off-set for the inner rims. Since the new shocks have adjustable spring perches it also allowed the car to be lowered. The specifics are in this thread.

10. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    You may be right. I didn't remove the calipers from the Porsche myself. I bought them from a Porsche recycling yard in Los Angeles and they told me it was a 996 Turbo that they came from. These calipers may have gotten some heavy use just before showing up at the salvage yard!

11. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    The 996 has the monobloc calipers, 1 piece design and not 2 halves bolted together.
    May I ask what size your SC is en what drive ratio you use to achieve 6 psi/ 16psi on the 2 valve engine?

12. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    I don't remember the supercharger model number, I'd have to look that up, but I do know that it pumps 1.5 liter per revolution and makes 8 PSI with the present pulley set-up. It's the second supercharger on this engine. I gave the manufacturer's representative all the information about the engine and what kind of boost I was looking for and they recommended a model which I then bought. It had a 2 liter per revolution out-put and, unfortunately, even with the largest available pulley the lowest boost I could get was 16 PSI. It's now sitting on a shelf waiting for a larger engine. I'm considering installing it on the 4.9 liter Maserati V8 in my Mazzer Roadster (or even on my 2008 Mustang). Anyway, the present drive ratio on the 1.5 liter supercharger is maybe 3 to 1 or 3.5 to 1. That set-up has been together for a number of years now and I just don't remember the exact figures anymore. It's difficult to measure the crankshaft pulley diameter without having the car on a lift but I'll give it a try tomorrow.

13. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

#163 Cribbj, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wil, I'm guessing you may have either the OA3150 or the OA417MX charger on your existing setup, and the 2.0l model that was oversized was probably the OA420MX. The OA3150 is 300mm long from rear face to front face (not including pulley), and the OA417MX is 276mm.

I have an OA422MX (2.2l) on a DOHC 4.0l V8 that I've been tinkering with for years. I've found a good rule of thumb is to use a supercharger rated for about 50% of the engine displacement for a street application. With your 3.0l V8, it would seem your 1.5l Opcon fits well?

Another bit of useless trivia is their maximum RPM rating - OA used to rate their chargers to 14,000, but then revised that figure around 2005 to 13,000 CONTINUOUS. So IMO, 14,000, and perhaps even higher is still doable with a 2.0 ratio overdrive and an engine speed of 7000 to 7500, but only intermittently (Shouldn't be a problem - who runs their engine at 7000 rpm continuously? :)).

Opcon-Autorotor made a great 'charger, but they bailed out of the automotive market a few years back, and are now into fuel cells and other "green" stuff. Kenne Bell were their exclusive packager in the US, and they had to scramble to find another line when OA bailed.

I've got some photos around here somewhere of twin OA424's in a back to front configuration on a V12 (Lincoln?) boat motor. That must have been a beast.

This was their lineup of available superchargers at one time. The capacity that gives them their model number is shown as the "Minimum Capacity" in m3/min:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #164 bert308, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks guys for the info. I got a Lysholm type SC intended for a Mercedes 55AMG a few years ago, inspired by this thread and Mark E. I think it has 2.2L capacity and is made by IHI in Japan. It also has an internal step up gearing and an electromagnetic clutch. I think it is a bit big for my application and I should have gotten the similar one from the 320AMG. By the way, the 4 cilinder Mercs used eaton type SC.
    I found a pulley from a BMW that gives a 1.4 or 1.5 ratio and then the internal gearing makes it a 2:1 ratio. I will see were I get but it will take a while. Mark E had well over 500 or 550 HP with a similar SC but he had the very expensive Tilton clutch, I have a Daytona type pressure plate and kevlar relining. I think a little under 400 HP with only 8 psi would be good enough for me but I think I will get about 15 psi now, I do have forged JE pistons with standard compression ratio.
    The supercharger would have fit in that position in the original engine bay but I moved the engine 40mm to the back because I also extended the wheelbase to GTO spec so the trunk wall needs to move a little also :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  16. ladiesman217

ladiesman217 Rookie

Feb 20, 2009
    Frenchtown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex de Groot
    Hi, this is Alex, Wil's son. My father has been AWOL this spring, finishing a hand-built project car (see link in my signature - 'Scratch built Mazzer'). I'm guessing he missed your post so I'll try and grab his attention for this thread again. My understanding is that it was a minor nightmare squeezing that supercharger under the deck lid but that it is a good fit.

Alex

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Could you have made some raised covers like those on the 512 BB?

18. SandydeG

SandydeG Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2011
    Milford, NJ
    Full Name:
    Sandy de Groot
  19. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
  20. SandydeG

SandydeG Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2011
    Milford, NJ
    Full Name:
    Sandy de Groot
    She's in someone else's stable now Clyde. We had to make a choice, not a 2 Ferrari family here. Memories!

21. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Hi Clyde, I drove my supercharged 308GTB for a bunch of years and it was a blast! An opportunity came up to buy a very special 550 Maranello that used to belong to a customer and I can't have 2 Ferraris unfortunately. It's going to a good home, not too far away so I'm sure I'll still see it, and possibly work on it, from time to time.

Regards,

Wil