Superfast & Superamerica | FerrariChat

Superfast & Superamerica

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by urraco, Jun 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    would someone please explain why Superamerica prices today are far lower than other 60's Ferraris.
    I read in a 1962 french magazine it was even more expensive than a Rolls Royce btw what was the price of a new 250GT0 back then?
    and at least why never nobody post pics of these amazing vintage ferraris? please.

2. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Here's 05977SF taken in 2003, Not sure where, also trying to find the Nocciola one that Peter Sellers owned ???

Seb

3. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    Whoops....

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I love the 500 Superfast. I saw one at Monterey about ten years ago, in the pits for this historic races (not at the concours). What a cool car!

Someday, I would like to own one. The blue one that Fantasy Junction had, s/n 5989, looked very nice in the one picture I saw of it.

These cars have fascinating histories. Michael Sheehan has an interesting article which details the history of each of the cars:

http://www.ferraris-online.com/Articles/FMLA_9702.shtml

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks for posting the link to Michael Sheehan's article, Don. The history of the Superfast is very interesting. In particular, the similarities between the Superfast and the 330 GT are noteworthy, and more than a little satisfying to this particular 330 owner.

I was surprised that the earlier Superamerica had adopted many parts from the 330, including the frame, front suspension, brakes and shocks. Even a number of internal components used in the Lampredi V-12 were taken from the 209 engine found in the 330.

Although I think that the Superfast is gorgeous (particularly as shown in the picture posted by Seb), the 330 2+2 isn't that far behind. You would certainly notice the differences with the cars parked side-by-side, but if you didn't have an immediate comparison, the cars are actually pretty close.

When you consider that late Series II 330s like mine have power steering, power windows, air conditoning, a 5-speed transmission and hanging pendulum pedals, the comparison is even closer. I feel like I have almost all of the fun of a Superfast at a quarter of the price!

--Matt

6. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Matt,

Gorgeous car!

What color is the interior?

The 330 GT shares a lot of front end look with another of my all time favorites
    The 330 GTS. Nothing wrong with that!

Erich
    somwhere there is a 330 GT with my name on it.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Actually, the 500 Superfast shares its front-end styling with the 330 GTS. If you ask me, the 330 GTs front-end styling is nearly identical to that of the 275 GTS.

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Wayne,

Aren't all of these cars designed by Tom T.? To me they all have a strong family resemblance.

Regards,

Art S.

9. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Is the general rule not that the shorter the wheelbase, the higher the value..?

The 500 Superfast is rare, but not exactly the epitome of the pared-down, street-fighter Ferrari.

The 612 Scaglietti of its day, perhaps..?

John

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thank you very much, Erich.

My car has a black interior with black carpets. It a fantastic car, in my biased opinion.

330 GT 2+2 cars are the most undervalued Ferraris by a long margin. They have more power than most other older 12-cylinder Ferraris and nearly as much power as most modern F-cars.

Here's a picture taken this weekend.

--Matt

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Race winning Ferraris get the bucks. The Superfast and Superamerica Ferraris were heavy touring cars and thus while interesting and rare not everybodies cup of tea.

The same can be said for just about all 2+2 Ferraris ... bloody expensive when new but they come last in the money ranks now. Just watch the 456 devalue and the 612 will probably race right past it as it devalues like a lead stone.

In the end all 2+2 Ferrari have been great cars but once a car becomes old and just a toy ... who needs or wants the practicality of the extra 2 seats, etc. you simply want maximum FUN.

Pete's opinion
    ps: Suits me fine and gives me a chance of owning a 2+2 Ferrari someday hopefully and I have a family :)

12. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Beautiful car Matt. Will you be at the PVGP? I can only attend on Saturday as I have a charity event at home in Ohio on Sunday but a friend from Ligonier and I plan to attend the festivities on Saturday and I'll bring my old dog of a series 1 330. PM me if you want to meet up (or any other Fchat enthusiasts. A friend is President of one of the major sponsor companies so we can mooch stuff at their tent.

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If the 500SF is the 612 of it's day, that's a good sign-- Superfasts bring solid 275GTB money, or even more-- $250-$500k, from what I've seen.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think the Superfasts are a heck of a lot more exclusive than the 612's will be ... I don't think Ferrari make such small runs anymore.

The 612 might be the same sort of car, but won't be as rare.

Pete's opinion

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I realize that the 612 won't be as rare (they only made 36 Superfasts, after all).

I was commenting on your implication that big Ferrari GT and 2+2 cars are cheaper than the 2-seat cars. In the case of the Superfast, this isn't quite accurate.

And yes, Ferrari will still make small runs-- look at the 456 Venice cars.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm don't 100% agree because there is no 2 seater version of the Superfast, if there was then the 2+2 version would be the cheaper one, ie:

250 GT 2+2 versus the many sporting 250's
    330 GT 2+2 America versus the 330 GT (I think this is the type) or 275 GTB
    456 versus the 550.
    612 versus the ??

Anyway you comment that 'this isn't quite accurate' is relevant in regard to the Superfast.

Pete's just discussing

17. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    I think you should place the Superfast in line with the Enzo: "Cuvée de Prestige" of Ferrari. This line starts with the 342 A, 375 A, 410 SA, 400 SA, 365 California, 500 Superfast, 288 GTO, F40, F50 and lastly Enzo.

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Pete,

The Superfast is a 2 seater.

I agree with Boudewijn, the Superfast was the ultimate, limited production, elite car of its day. Although, the street version of the 250 LM is probobly a better '60 equivilent of the Enzo.

Art S.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oops :D

Pete

20. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    I think the Superfast looks more like a 365GT than a 330.

21. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I agree, drew365!!

22. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    That looks just like my car except I have Borrani's and headrests. Mine is #12751.

23. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    we need pictures, Drew! are you black w/ tan? The pentastar wheels are not correct for my car, but look nice. I have the original set of 10-hole alloys, but they are beat to hell. Saving my pennies for a set of Borranis, but that's pretty far down on the list . . .

how long have you had 12751?

24. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    oops, I should have said "not correct for my year" . . . .

25. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    #25 drew365, Jun 30, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bryan; yes mine is Black with tan. Looks just like yours. I've owned it since '86 and just had the engine completely rebuilt. It only has 70k miles on it but was starting to smoke so I plunged in. If I had known how long and how much it would cost I probably would have waited. Live and learn. I haven't gotten the car back yet and don't have a pic in the computer but will try to scan one soon. Here's one of the engine being put back together. Sort of like open heart surgery for a car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login