Suspension bushings: ES vs Superformance | FerrariChat

Suspension bushings: ES vs Superformance

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Prova85, Nov 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Restoring my suspension this winter and debating whether to go with Energy Suspension poly bushings or the up-rated Superformance bushings. Any thoughts or experiences, pro or cons with either?

2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    TR or Boxer?

Could you elaborate on what other parts you will replace during the process of restoring the suspension?

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I would personally stay away from aftermarket stiff bushings! They pound out the chassis mountings.

Testarossa Sean likes this.
  4. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    See avatar. Replacing shock mounts and the other shock rubber bits. Refurbing the Koni's and control arms.
    Just wondering if anyone has run into any problems or fit issues installing the ES or Superformance pieces. Did a bunch of searching here and the 308 forum and didn't see anything glaringly negative.

5. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ive used the standard Superfromance bushings on my 348, 308 and 400 all with positive results. I will also do the same for my TR when it comes to the time.

Prova85 likes this.
  6. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Hey Kenny would be nice to see you start a post while you tackle this job and post a bunch of pictures, good luck.

7. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Prova85 likes this.
  8. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Jeff, the job was pretty well documented in this thread from a few years ago. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/aussie-testarossa-rebuild.366206/

Lots of threads in the 308 section about the ES bushings. No real downsides to poly. The Superformance are a high quality rubber. After a lot of thread reading I've concluded you can't go wrong with either. It's a toss up for a street car.

9. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Think I'm going with the Superformance units. Found this tidbit below about OEM's being a bonded bush as are the Superformance. And also read that in Rifledriver's experience good rubber will out last poly and that rubber bushings will never develop any sort of squeaking that poly can. The ES bushings are not bonded like Superformance:

10. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Ludwig, that's a very cool photo of your car in heavy-maintenance mode.
    Prova, I remember reading Steve Dinan saying something similar to Rifledriver's explanation, probably twenty years ago. I think poly bushings generally yield pretty horrid results. John/CT.

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I have always used the SF bonded rubber bushings with success. Nice tight ride and still comfortable and used by most I know for regular road driving. Highly recommended.

Best Peter