The Purosangue Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Purosangue Thread

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by MDEL, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    MAD MAX conquers the Kings Road..............Truly

MDEL likes this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't care for the Lamborghini. It looks like they rummaged through the parts bin while dreaming of a BMW X6. Its not Lamborghini enough. And I guess that isn't a huge surprise. Trying to turn a sports car into a SUV is a daunting challenge!

As to Ferrari SUV. My opinion is in line with you all. I think Ferrari is a racing team that sells street cars to finance that endeavor. Their street cars reflect this. Because of this Ferrari has remained a dream car. The only cars I don't think people really dream of owning is a SUV. Even estate cars (station wagons), some are dreamt about- I have one friend who loves the Merc E63 AMG estate. I also think the only reason to do a SUV is increased sales volume as the current 4 seater with AWD is not a big seller. But because the GTC4 is more quirky, it makes it a bit of a connoisseur car. I like that. It gives the car some extra charm. And you know it looks like it does because they won't make a SUV- like everyone else. And thats another part of my point- the SUV could be a bit of a "me too" product. And if it sells well it means it could account for a large percentage of Ferrari sales. What would we think of Ferrari if ⅓ or (worse!) ½ of their sales were SUVs? I think the Ferrari brand could support a SUV... but at what cost to the brand? I think it would do fine for a time, but eventually it would not be as special. That's my concern....

My very humble suggestion, simply a passionate Ferrarista to Ferrari: if you need some other elements of the SUV, such as extra doors, or a little more ride height, then I think you should make a "LWB" version of the GTC4. Maybe 4" longer- all for the back seat- and maybe 1.5" higher and you could add back doors- perhaps in a way where they are more disguised than in other cars. This would not be a SUV, but simply a little bit more practical GTC4 (a practical car already). And please keep the V12. :)

Traveller, Sims123, otakki and 2 others like this.
  3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Great write up Jerry. Ferrari being by nature an innovating company which also masters the art of super sports cars designing and making, usually never does things like any of it's competitors. In the case of an hypothetical future "SUV" type vehicle, there is a very strong possibility that Ferrari might come along with a completely new concept of a revolutionary type and like you suggested, the evolution from the GTC4 is something that seems extremely logic. With the GTC4 Ferrari has undoubtedly mastered their unique 4 wheels traction system which can easily be transposed to a new vehicle of the type "LWB" like you suggested or to a completely new creation they invent and which might not even be classified as a "Cross-Over" or an "SUV" but have another designation.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    If you think the Aston is hideous (which it is), then try looking at the rolls royce cullinan... It's an absolute shocker!
    I really don't get all this SUV hype from supercar/ultra luxury car makers. Yes they will sell well but it's just sad for them to go that route.

Griffon83 likes this.
  5. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well my wife is asking me to cancel the Cayenne Turbo (2020) deposit and get the Urus. So surely Lambo is doing something right about getting attention to their brand. I have no idea if I will do this but I would have never walked into a Lambo dealership before the Urus.

6. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The sweater will produce a Ferrari suv..look what the cayenne did for Porsche in terms of sales growth and profitability. Ferrari is a public company. Profit and growth are king...not exclusivity...anymore...

7. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    I actually like the new Cayenne design, far superior from all the predecessors.

deltona and 350MH83 like this.
  8. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    I liked the idea of a new Lambo SUV as much as I hate the idea of a Ferrari SUV.
    But now it's been revealed, I am actually quite disappointed with the Lamborghini SUV.

Probably a factor of being based off the VW's SUVs platform (?) for exterior design and proportions (+ regulations), and I find the interior design purposelessly busy, with no cool factor like I can feel in the Uracan for example. Interior makes me think of my Robotix toys when I was a kid.
    I like the price point and they did a much better job with exterior design than with the recent Bentaya (which has a gorgeous interior), and super boring dull new Cayenne (interior exterior). But they did not surprise me. Won't be buying one.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I’m a SUV owner, I like the concept and I drive one every day. After this thread was started and reading some of the contributions, for the first time I stopped to think about the reasons why I like that type of vehicle and that’s what I came up with:

- Extra traction in any road type and conditions

- A higher driving position and extra protection in case of accident

- A smooth driving with good performance

- A spacious boot

I’m not interested at all in a future Ferrari SUV/crossover but if I was I believe these listed features would be a must and on top of them I would expect the performance and the sound of a Ferrari V12. That said and with the exceptions of the high driving position and the spacious boot I requested, I believe the GTC4 evolution to a (LWB) as suggested by Jerry (Caerruleus 11) could fulfill all my requirements. If this new vehicle could maintain the present GTC4 main features but have a higher driving position and a bigger boot then it would be perfect for me. Because there are no free lunches I know that an higher driving position alters the car considerably and is only possible at the cost of an higher centre of gravity and more weight which means that the new vehicle in comparison with the GTC4 would have a reduced performance specially when curving at high speed. However I believe that not to be a problem or a surprise and is something we all expect in a crossover or SUV.
    Because Ferrari is a box of surprises I wonder if they could take the GTC4 concept to another level designing a vehicle that won’t be a SUV or a crossover but something in between with the best of both worlds?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Yes, similar to what I had mentioned before about going the direction of Outback/CrossCountry rather than simply another SUV.

+1
    Add suicide doors similar to that of RX7 and thus keeping the coupe apperance.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Roland1688

Roland1688 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    Taipei
    Full Name:
    Roland
    If for the purpose of profit and growth, it makes more sense to manufacture
    mid-engine V12s than SUVs. Just my 2 cents.

12. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Still on the subject of a possible future Ferrari SUV by the end of last year Ferrari commercial head Enrico Galliera declared . "We are not producing an SUV because an SUV is not a sports car – it can be fast, but it’s not a sports car. We are not producing a four-door because, while a four-door can be fast, it’s not a sports car. Ferrari has to remain consistent, doing what we know to do, which is delivering cars that are able to deliver emotion. Sports cars" . Afterwards someone already claimed that this is merely an issue of semantics and added that's another move classified as comical self-indulgence.

According with that source the hypothetical future Ferrari “SUV” codenamed the F16X is being presented as an “FUV” Ferrari Utility Vehicle. This new FUV original creation is more or less a crossover and allegedly, like Jerry "Caeruleus 11"had already suggested here in December 2017, will be built on the same platform as the GTC4 and likely share many of its all-wheel-drive components. As the first official four-door coming off the Maranello factory floor, the F16X will reportedly feature an unusual setup for a car in its class—rear suicide doors and no B-pillar, for "unimpeded access" to the back seat. Apparently another difference from the GTC4 will be found under the hood. The new "FUV" apparently will come with either a turbocharged V-8...or a hybrid setup possibly with a V12 NA.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Fascinating developments Mario. I wonder if such a door arrangement means the rear doors can only be opened if the front doors are opened? I'm curious to see what happens.

MDEL likes this.
  14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Very good point and well observed Jerry because if one forgets to close the back door first it will slam into the front door.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
    They all do.... Levantes are produced in Turin. The 8C was built by Maserati (as it was to a large extent based on the Gransport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Just about to post the same. And quicker than we thought

Speaking at the 2018 Detroit Motor Show, Fiat boss Sergio Marchionne said we'll be seeing the Ferrari SUV sooner than we thought
    Fiat Chrysler boss Sergio Marchionne has said the Ferrari SUV could be ready by 2019 – and claimed it will be the fastest vehicle of its type.

The colourful CEO initially indicated his intention to build an SUV – or FUV (Ferrari Utility Vehicle) in November 2017 and has since seen Lamborghini enter the market by launching the Urus.

Detroit Motor Show 2018 news

At the Detroit Motor Show, Marchionne went on the record again about his plans. Dismissing suggestions the brand would build a truck, he stated: “It will look like whatever a Ferrari utility vehicle needs to look like”. “But it has to drive like a Ferrari.”

As you would expect, it will be devastatingly quick. Asked by Auto Express if he aimed to build the fastest SUV in the world, Marchionne responded: “So far the fastest SUV belongs to Alfa [the Stelvio Quadrifoglio] and I don’t think Ferrari fears Alfa”. “It will do its best to build the fastest SUV.”

The Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio lays down a tough benchmark in the performance SUV class with its 503bhp twin-turbo V6 rendering it capable of 0-62mph in 3.8s and a 176mph top speed. By the time the Ferrari SUV arrives, however, Lamborghini’s Uruswill be on the streets with its 641bhp twin-turbo V8 yielding claimed performance of 3.6s and 189mph - that’s likely to be the Ferrari’s real target, whether it likes to admit it or not.

Image 2 of 3

Image 2 of 3

We also learned that the car will be ready much sooner than predicted. When asked by Auto Express, when it would hit the market, Marchionne responded: “Probably by the end of [20]19, the beginning of [20]20. I’ve seen the car when I was in Europe eight days ago. So we are working on the vehicle but it’s not finished”. “They’re just mock up bodies just now. But it looks good.”

The plan has outraged some Ferrari purists, but with FCA striving to become profitable there appears to be solid business logic behind the plan to follow Ferrari’s rivals into the SUV segment. Marchionne claimed the company will be debt free in 2018, despite missing sales targets – an SUV wearing the badge of his most coveted brand seems inevitable.

However, he acknowledged the sensitivities surrounding the project and admitted: “There would be enough people even outside Ferrari who would go for me if I did ‘just a utility vehicle’.”

With Bentley and Lamborghini entering the SUV market in recent years, and Rolls-Royce about to with the Cullinan, Ferrari is the last of the high-performance or super-luxury makers to commit to this area of the market.

Ferrari's path to accepting the SUV
    Towards the latter stages of 2017, Marchionne confirmed that there was strong possibility of an SUV bearing the prancing horse badge in the next few years.

Speaking to Bloomberg, Marchionne, CEO of Fiat ChryslerAutomobiles, confirmed that it is “dead serious” about producing a Ferrari SUV, while also rubbishing rumours that FCA will part ways with SUV subsidiary Jeep.

Referring to the vehicle as the ‘FUV’ (Ferrari Utility Vehicle), Marchionne, 65, had previously played down the rumours of a Ferrari crossover, but then said Ferrari would take about 30 months to consider production of the vehicle. He said: “We need to learn how to master this whole new relationship between exclusivity and scarcity of product, then we’re going to balance this desire to grow with a widening of the product portfolio.”

Best SUVs on sale

Sources cited by the Bloomberg news agency suggested that the ‘Ferrari Utility Vehicle’ could form part of a new five-year-plan designed to boost sales beyond Ferrari’s current self-imposed limit of 10,000 cars per year.

The firm primarily keeps to this limit to stay on the correct side of emissions rulings in some markets, though it ensures a level of exclusivity for the brand too.

Image 3 of 3

Image 3 of 3

Having previously strongly denied that Ferrari would ever venture into the SUV segment, Marchionne reiterated that Ferrari would not be creating an SUV in the mould of those offered by other manufacturers and that “you have to shoot me first” if it did. “It has not been done to compete with Porsche” he said, referencing the German brand’s hugely profitable move into the SUV sector with its Cayenne.

It’s understood that further hybridisation of the Ferrari range is also under consideration, to ensure it can continue to grow sales without breaking emissions rules.

Bloomberg reported that we could get our first official inkling of the brand’s long term plan sometime in 2018. Should Ferrari decide to go down the SUV avenue, it will be among the final acts of Marchionne, who will step down as boss of the Fiat Chrysler Group in 2019, followed by bowing out of Ferrari in 2021.

Bloomberg sources said an SUV act as a “four-seat family car that offers more space than Ferrari’s current two-door GT4CLusso”, and would be centred mainly around Asian markets, with Chinese customers in Ferrari’s marketing crosshairs.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  17. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Curious to find out if it will be an SUV or an FUV…………..

18. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Well I hope it looks better than that Tim. To me it is a cross between a Macan and the Bentley bullfrog.

Sad day me thinks

19. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Very, but then we live in a different world, this one created by the IPO.

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yeah. That's a looker right there. Maybe go for the painted (stenciled) shields and some CF? Perhaps a window tint. Likely the first new Ferrari you don't car where you park it.

21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The front is heavily derived from a 599, which I would not consider a very likely option.

22. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Ferrari is synonymous with exotic, sexy, racing, and lovely engines. So much so that it is difficult to imagine such a pedantic vehicle to be added to the lineup. It is just different from any other brand in that respect. I don’t think it will necessarily detract from them or be damaging but it is just difficult to wrap my mind around it.

I kind of think if they are gonna do this it needs to be super awesome. Like when Ducati introduced their adventure bike that competes with BMW. It doesn’t look like any other bike in that class.

I hope when the real SFUV is revealed that it is more interesting than those pics...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

otakki, Caeruleus11 and stavura like this.
  23. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Even though I know I won't be a fan, I'm actually quite intrigued in what they will come up with.

24. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    uhn2000, Traveller and Caeruleus11 like this.