The Purosangue Thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The Purosangue Thread

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by MDEL, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Mario is making quite an interesting point.

I think the Pininfarina departure from casa Ferrari will have bigger and far reaching consequences on the long run, something we're yet to witness, once in my humble opinion, Ferrari Centro Stile has been tweaking and evolving the latest Pininfarina sketches instead of making radical new designs (like the revolution that happened from the F430 to the 458, and from the 599 to the F12).

On a purely personal note, I very much prefer and enjoy Donato Coco's design flow than Flavio Manzoni's or Frank Stephenson's. Never quite understood the reasons behind Donato Coco's departure from Ferrari.

I'm afraid that the new SUV blueprint will be an adapted Portofino or GTC4Lusso, when I think it would be a good opportunity to innovate. If you're going to put 70 years of brand essence and heritage to the test, at least go all-in and take a gamble in terms of design.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Caeruleus11, MDEL and otakki like this.
  2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    My main question is whether or not the FUV is intended to leave the payment. I believe this characteristic will play a big part in the design of FUV and determine if it will maintain the sports car heritage as the rest of the Ferrari lineup.

3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm betting a big part of the FUV mission statement will be to get a foursome to the country club or ski lodge in high style.

4. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    I think this car will be often daily car like Range Rover or G Wagon

G. Pepper likes this.
  5. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I am heartened to see the irony of the cavallino on the grill pointing in the WRONG direction...

Makuono and MDEL like this.
  8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Very well observed and I'm heartened too but fortunately that's something easy to mend.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  10. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    When Ferrari will do the SUV it will dye the MYTH.

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I guess if we dye the myth it should be red.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I should be banned.

12. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    :D:D

G. Pepper likes this.
  13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  14. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Ferrari being a supersportscar brand, will obviously place emphasis on performance. But this being an SUV, will Ferrari place any actual focus on off-road capabilities? And how will overall design be influenced (or suffer!) by the technical/mechanical needs of such an off-road performance role?

I still have trouble imagining a Ferrari full of mud, dust, dirty slush and gravel, being test-driven over a hillside.

However, I imagine the market and the world, as well as consumer trends, are asking for a Ferrari SUV. But the world as I see it, now has nothing to safeguard and harbor the true car enthusiast. I mean: Ferrari is making an SUV! In 20 years, a hybrid pick-up truck? I still think that if we want a proper SUV, safe, powerful, good off-road and luxurious, buy any Volvo SUV that, to me, are the best! Ferrari is plunging into the unknown, this is a completely different market segment and, sometimes, I think we should stick to what we do best, instead of trying to hug the world and do a bit of everything.

I also wonder how this will change the average Ferrari consumer in terms of age, geography and personal tastes. The people who will feel attracted to a Ferrari SUV enough to pay most likely north of 300 or 400.000 USD for it should be very different people and consumers to the ones that bought Ferraris in the past. All questions only time will tell, but one can't help but wonder.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

otakki, Makuono and MDEL like this.
  15. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Interesting comments - I agree. By the way, if you do want to see a Ferrari doing the rounds at a farm, this one from Harry Metcalfe (founder of Evo magazine) always puts a smaile on my face:

Go to 3:53 :)

MDEL, Makuono and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  16. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Nuno
    I agree with your comments Nuno and I continuo being very curious about what a Ferrari SUV or FUV will be. The video posted by BarryK is very interesting and paradigmatic because is a confirmation that the FF and the GTC4 Lusso already possess good off-road capabilities. According with the "guess" of our chat colleagues Caeruleus11 and G. Pepper the new FUV will be a kind of modified GTC4 Lusso with increased off-road capabilities and after seeing that video I'm more and more convinced their "guess" will be right.

AlfistaPortoghese, CETH and Makuono like this.
  17. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Harry is an amazing journalist and petrolhead. His youtube channel is a breath of fresh air in a world of youtubers discussing carbon fiber and changing gear on tunnels. Harry's automotive knowledge is amazing, his videos can only be compared (in content) to the ones of Dadive (driving experience), who is doing amazing video tributes to some of the best automotive engineers and designers.

Unfortunately - as in the world of youtube videos - Ferrari only priority isn't to keep loyal to its essence or to its traditional customers. Ferrari is aiming for a new generation of petrolheads (who soon might be "hybridheads" or "electronheads") who are numerous and have fresh money. And some are "social influencers".

Probably this new business model - this is what it is - might bring better sustainability in the long run. We don't have all the data, so we can only speculate, but it is very noticeable this new direction.
    The speed on which we receive new pieces of information from Mr. Marchionne (almost tweets) about the brand's future, which are rumors and after speculations and then confirmed - see the FUV subject.

To speak the true, I believe Ferrari is in a difficult cross-road that isn't currently completely disclosed. Ferrari is ICE's quintessence, which is by itself an endangered species. Can Ferrari be Ferrari without the ICE? Maybe this is why the management is looking to improve its sales beyond 10000 in order to find new clientele who is less bonded to the ICE? Clientele who is chasing the last alcantara color or the best infotainment?

I was seeing some images from Geneva and - correct me if I'm wrong, Ferrari was (as usual) the only manufacturer with an engine (an work of art really) being displayed. This says a lot.

635CSI, jumpinjohn, uhn2000 and 5 others like this.
  18. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I was seeing some images from Geneva and - correct me if I'm wrong, Ferrari was (as usual) the only manufacturer with an engine (an work of art really) being displayed. This says a lot.

View attachment 2512048 [/QUOTE]

Everybody else seems embarrassed by the whole ICE concept.
    Only Ferrari has the pride.

stavura, Makuono and MDEL like this.
  19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  20. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ferrari V8 hybrid is expected to launch in 2019 and possibly will be powering Ferrari's FUV.

Makuono likes this.
  21. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    There is something that I thought was indelible about Ferrari - and very very rare in other brands, which is every model is (was) unique. We won't have another 599, Testarossa, 355, etc.. That adds uniqueness to each model. Ok, I know the 360 replaced the 355, but its a "different car". Has a different name, looks and feels different. 355 owners are proud of their cars.

Also, at Ferrari, some models are sometimes offered in different forms (berlinetta, spider, LE) but completely different in its objectives and unmistakeable.

...Apparently this is being changed - Look at the Lusso V12 and the T. Loses uniqueness.

..So this is what Ferrari are chasing? Porsche's product strategy?

To have a portfolio with several models, targeting most client segments - from pilots to gentleman/woman drivers, from commuters to off-roaders, etc?

I try to be informed, but I have a really difficult time to follow Porsche model. The number of iterations for each model (plus middle life redesigns) is incredible. Is the client who buys a 911 GTS different from the one who buys the 911C4S? How many different Panamera models/trims/engines did Porsche launched since its launch?

Is this what Ferrari is aiming? I hope not.

dustman and MDEL like this.
  22. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I think I need to be educated more on hybrids because I don't see how it is anymore environmentally friendly or adds such effeciency to these cars. Break regeneration really charges the battery that much?

23. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I'm guessing it will be much more of a conventional plug-in hybrid with batteries rather than the a limited regeneration type system like LaFerrari - those don't seem to be that relevant for a production SUV.

24. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    "Normal" cars with hybrid engines no doubt are more environmentally friendly because they have a petrol consumption per mile that is lower than the one of an equivalent car just with a petrol engine meaning less CO2 emissions. On "normal" hybrid cars the electric motor(s) can supply all the required power when they are operating at low speeds, as in city driving. The electric motor(s) also assist the petrol engine when additional power is required, as during acceleration or hill climbing. These environmentally friendly advantages of "normal" hybrid cars, to me are not evident at all in the case of a Ferrari. Because Ferrari hybrids are cars not made to be used regularly at low speed city driving, the all electric driving feature doesn't seem to be of any use or advantage. Where the electric motor(s) can make really a difference in a Ferrari hybrid is on assisting the petrol engine on a better acceleration and extra power. Like you, I also need to be educated because I can't figure how a Ferrari hybrid is anymore environmentally friendly than a non hybrid one which is using the exact same petrol engine.

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    If the 488 replacement loses the turbos in favor of LaFFer tech and we regain the awesome sounds, I am in.

Back on topic, I want a Ferrari SUV. Causes no harm IMO to Ferrari.