Swap the F12 for the 812? | FerrariChat

Swap the F12 for the 812?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Guishank, Aug 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Guishank

Guishank Rookie

Aug 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Neil O'Brien
    Hello all, I am brand new to the forum. Thought I would get several opinions on my issue. I bought a 2017 F12 Berlinetta in May. I am interested in an 812 and have an offer for a trade in of the F12 plus $170K for the 812. I am wondering how the F12 will depreciate now that the new 812 kid is on the block... The 812 has 90 miles and is selling for a 50K premium above MSRP.

2. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    How the F12 will depreciate from now is futurology and therefore something we can only guess but with the information available about what happened until now in Europe we can see the tendency in this market . By the beginning of 2017 on Autoscout 24 there were 100 F12's for sale in all continental Europe and the prices oscillated between 200 K Euros for the older cars, with less extras and with more millage, to a maximum of 300 K Euros for newer cars, with more extras and few miles. Now more than one year and a half later and with the 812 being already delivered to customers , Autoscout 24 has for sale 110 F12's in all continental Europe. The lower price range is now 180 K Euros for cars with more than 40 K Km and from 2013 and the highest prices for the newer F12's with little millage are all below 270 K euros. The UK which is one of the biggest european Ferrari markets is not included on these Autoscout 24 numbers but the conclusion we can arrive to is that in continental Europe the F12's prices have depreciated more or less 10% since the 812 was launched.
    I would be surprised if the situation in the US is much different from Europe but to be honest is a market I don't know so you better wait for other opinions.

3. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    50k in USD?

4. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy

Very good price to swap assuming you like the spec of 812, go for it.

5. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Take some time to enjoy you’re F12. Depreciation curve will likely be less than the 812 over the next year or two. I would wait until you’ve owned it 12-18 months then look to make a move....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgt000, Avia11, gt_lusso and 3 others like this.
  6. Guishank

Guishank Rookie

Aug 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Neil O'Brien
    Yes 50k is US dollars. Thank you for the depreciation numbers. I am uncertain whether I like the body style of the 812 better than that of the F12...

7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    F12

Go look at the 812....it’s ungainly in many angles.

8. LittleLittleTiger

Jun 11, 2018
    UK
    not 500k??

9. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Autoscout is irrelevant. Mobile.de is the biggest player and where the market is usually tracked in Europe.

10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Irrelevant ? Autoscout24 and Mobile.de are the two biggest european platforms for car selling and buying and each one has more than one million cars advertised. There are several polls made which show a clear preference by the users towards Autoscout24 due to the fact that the search is much more detailed. The information I presented for the F12 is based on my regular searches at Autoscout24 and therefore the comparisons are valid because they respect uniquely to this platform. .

day355 likes this.
  11. Guishank

Guishank Rookie

Aug 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Neil O'Brien
    yes 50K about the MSRP

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Hopefully you got a good deal on your F12. Depreciation will depend on how many miles and how long you will keep the F12.

Same for the 812.

So the most important part is which one do you prefer?

I personally think the F12 is the most beautiful from engined V12 since the Daytona. The 812 on the other hand would be the least. I just cant like that rear. And the front reminds me way too much of an SRT Viper.

Solid State and LARRYH like this.
  13. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I agree, but I think the dark grigio color looks much better (I saw a yellow and I was like WTF), but I don't mind having one! lol.

14. Guishank

Guishank Rookie

Aug 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Neil O'Brien
    275k for '17 berlinetta 1275 miles. 445k for the '18 superfast 95 miles (msrp = 395k)

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    F12: prettier / more elegant. The last PF designed Ferrari (though it was more like 50/50)
    812: more striking and aggressive. Possibly the last production V12 with no assistance.

In so far as depreciation, both cars will depreciate. But the premium on the 812 will evaporate. That is the cost of having the 812 right now. If you really want an 812, I would see if the dealer can order you one to your spec and if you have to wait at least you'll be enjoying the F12 right now and you can have an 812 just the way you want. I don't think it will work out any more or less expensive than going with the 812 right now but at least you can have the car just the way you want. Or just keep the F12. It is a fantastic Ferrari!

jumpinjohn likes this.
  16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    IT is your call ..I personally do not care for the styling of the 812.. can't get past the viper back end .....
    I have decided for now to keep my F12....

Gullwing likes this.
  17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    ^this.

I would keep the F12 and order the 812 the way you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

uhn2000, Caeruleus11 and iloveferrari like this.
  18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Just imagine in the not too distant future when that $50K premium disappears and so does another $20-$40 usual depreciation that you would have lost a beautiful F12 and another $220K and be driving a visually challenging 812. Then the replacement comes out and the depreciation curve really kicks in. Point is with these cars you need to really go with what you like to look at, be in, and drive. Unless they are limited editions they will all sit at around the same value so paying more now only makes sense if you really like the other car or don't prefer the spec of the car you have now. My opinion anyways.

uhn2000, ScottS, R J and 2 others like this.
  19. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    +100

20. alnimmob55

alnimmob55 Rookie

May 12, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale, Fla
    Full Name:
    Albert Niels
    the first question is do you drive the car or just bought it as an investment ? If you bought it as an investment it will take, in my opinion, many years to see a profit. If on the other hand you enjoy driving it then I suggest you go for a test drive on the 812 and keep or buy the one you enjoy the most driving.

21. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    <<If on the other hand you enjoy driving it then I suggest you go for a test drive on the 812>>

Good luck with that...

22. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Both cars have depreciation in front of them, the 812 more as the F12 has already lost a fair bit of value.

How much does the money mean to you and do you love your present F12? Those are the issues.

If you're loaded and $250K means nothing to you then by all means do it if the 812 floats your boat.

If not and you like the F12 just keep it.

Typically the V12 front engine berlinetta's will depreciate to about 40% to 50% of original MSRP at their nadir. Yes in 50 years they may all be worth a ton of money but almost none of us will be around to care so don't even factor that variable in IMO.

My 2 cents, and maybe worth less.

Good luck!

uhn2000 likes this.
  23. VladimirB

VladimirB Rookie

May 16, 2016
    Moscow, Russia
    The cost to manufacture difference between a 2017 F12 and a 2018 812 is maybe 20-30 thousand euros, if you account for retooling and some extra bits in the engine and rear suspension.

Everything else is what you pay for the novelty factor and the attendant status. If it's important for you and the money comes easily, why not. Otherwise, it is not a good value proposition.

24. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Value driven analysis as you hinted at suggests do not buy

The fact you asked about depreciation suggests you are not looking to throw money away.

It also suggests you’ll watch the odometer and the value and not drive it at all. So either way it sits and doesn’t DO anything for you.

F12 plus for 812 plus premium is a money loser and you’re finding someone else’s speculation on purchase. You cannot buy early enough now with a premium to recover your money in whole. Some buy and sell simple to get a quick premium or to achieve status with Ferrari for special editions by such tactics at little cost to themselves. They are variably successful.

From a value standpoint no brainer - drive F12 and get an 812 in 1-2 years when they are 600 mile examples for 50k off mark.

My free 0.02€.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uhn2000 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. Guishank

Guishank Rookie

Aug 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Neil O'Brien
    Thanks all. I have decided to drive the F12 for another year or so. Bought it more for the driving than the investment.

uhn2000, cgt000, deltona and 2 others like this.