SWB 1 | FerrariChat

SWB 1

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Feb 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Driving through Notting Gill in London yesterday I was passed by and then had a good look over a car registered "SWB 1".

Iy was a blue 250 SWB with white line across the nose. I am sure I have seen this colour scheme referenced as being on a winning car from the Tourist Trophy (driven by Moss ???)

Anyways car was beautiful - rhd and nice patina. At first I thought it was a fakey but then I pulled over and took a closer look.

Any info on this car folks ?

Darren.

rustydriver likes this.
  2. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    That would indeed be 2735GT, an SWB painted in Rob Walker's colours with the white stripe and numbered 7, which lives in North London.

The car won the TT at Goodwood, driven by Moss in 1961.

The owner, Clive Beecham, drives the car fairly regularly to events (including Goodwood Revival) rather than use a trailer. I met Clive at Goodwood early last year at a private trackday, and he'd driven down from London in the car with Stirling Moss himself!

3. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #3 Boudewijn, Feb 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Rosso Badger

Rosso Badger Guest

Jan 17, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Al Boswell
    Clive sold the car last summer.

5. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Boudewijn

That''ll be the one. Was really ncie to see a car like this out and and about and whilst clealry cherished it looked like it was a driver car. Sounded lovely of course.

Darren.

6. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Just HOW beautiful is that car. And it's being used in winter in the UK!

Hopefully people using these cars regularly will become more common place, rather than them being hidden away only to come out at concours events with polished tyres and undercarriage.

If I ever win the lottery or the premium bonds, I will be seeking out a car just like this and begging the owner to sell it to me!

Kudos to the owner for being a true petrolhead.

7. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Eh?

I'll check with him. He certainly owned it in September when he organised drivers passes for my wife and I at Goodwood.

8. Rosso Badger

Rosso Badger Guest

Jan 17, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Al Boswell
    Sorry - my error. I mixed up Clive with Peter Teichmann, who sold his SWB to Frank Mountain.

9. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You Suck! Thats my Favourite SWB! Hopefully i'll see it when i visit london this summer. Great sighting btw

10. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I had my camera with me as well (had a big day out with my daughter) and
    in all my excitement I left it in the car. Dimwit.

If I had been in my GTE I probably would have stopped the driver for a proper chat but I felt a bit of an arse in my Smart car !

When you are in London be sure to go to Coys, Hall and Bradfield and Gregor Fisken if you want to see some lovely vintage machinery. All within 10 minutes of each other.

Darren.

11. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

I know. I didn't go to coys (i walked by it) but the signs on the doors saying no loitering and no cameras scared me off :( Gregor Fisken was cool, as was H&B