Switch question | FerrariChat

Switch question

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jacques, Feb 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Could someone please explain to me just exactly what the switch on top of the engine that has two wires and a long 2-inch metal arm that is moved when the throttle linkage is accelerated..Is it a switch that activates some funtion of the automatic trasmission shift or is it for an ignition function..and also..is it wired to be normally open or normally closed..mine is cracked and I have a replacement for it.. if anyone needs one they are readily available for $5to $10 USD..thank you all so very much in advance..1980 400i#28903..Jacques.

2. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    Hi Jacques,

If there is one such switch only and your car has automatic transmission, it is the kick-down switch. If I remember correctly, it's normally open. These micro switches have both contacts. Should "normally open" be wrong (tranny does not shift to high gear as expected) simply connect the wires to "normally closed".
    Cars for Switzerland may have such a switch as well for late ignition timing at idle speed for emission control reasons. This one is positioned more towards the passenger room and is activated by the rear end of the same lever as the kick-down switch.

Peter

3. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    The function of the microswitch is as I had thought and I'll change it out in the next few days. Thanks again for your help..also I remember seeing pictures of your 400i..nice car..Jacques.

4. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    Hi Jacques,

Thanks for your nice comment on my car! Please just make sure that you adust the position of the new switch (there are oval holes for the screws) such that it is really activated at WOT. Otherwise you will not be able to accelerate the car (almost) fully without shifting to lower gear.

kind regards

Peter

Here you will find my comments to those micro switches (Ferrari; experience report) http://homepage.hispeed.ch/Cavalli

5. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    The TH400 auto transmission uses an electrically activated full throttle kickdown to the next lower gear. this switch tells it when WOT is achieved. An adjustment here can cause a downshift earlier if you like.

6. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    That would be a nice adjustment. I have to mash the pedal to the floor to get kickdown.

Aidan

7. moserpe

moserpe Karting

Jul 20, 2006
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Moser
    #7 moserpe, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm sorry to say that I was wrong when saying that the switch for the ignition is the one to the rear. It is the opposite: ignition-switch to the front, kick-down switch to the rear of the car (left side in the picture).
    My new switches are from Honeywell.

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I noticed that it isn't stretched at all, it should be mounted 1 acorn to the left (& yes, it is tricky to remove/install the acorn nut w/both the ignition cable bracket & spring clip).

9. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #9 blkprlz, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Peter, Bruce,
    i compliment you both on the condition/cleanliness of what you've got under the hood...wow.

11. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    +1

12. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Thank all of you for your wonderful and abundant responses to my switch question..I will change it out upon my return home..it's always so good to see people taking care of one of the best models of Gran Tourismo cars ever..it seems to me that this is just about the only Ferrari that is holding its own isn't it..but We knew it didn't we..Jacques.

13. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Thanks gentlemen.