Swollen left ankle and foot? | FerrariChat

Swollen left ankle and foot?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by texasmr2, Jan 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #1 texasmr2, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm at my wit's end and hoping I can get some advice so here it go's. I'm fine this past saturday but wakeup sunday morning with a swollen left ankle and foot and I did nothing to cause these symptons. I can barely walk because the pain is excruciating. Sunday the most pain was in my ankle and monday it had basically moved to my heal and under foot, tuesday it was mainly in my arch (I have a high arch) and today its mostly on the top of my foot between my toes and my ankle!?!?!?!

My mom has pain in her left leg so I'm thinking this could be an inherited trait? Anyway here is a pic I took about 10mins ago, diagnose away please. I do not have insurance so I cannot afford a doctors visit but I am wondering if the pair of house slippers I recieved for Christmas could have caused the issue since they have no arch support? I have been spending everyday in bed since sunday keeping pressure off and simply because it hurts so bad to walk.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Insect bite, infection or allergic reaction to something

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nope neither one as nothing has changed in my activities, I have no allergy's and would have a specifically visible bite area from say a spider. This is not the first time this has happened either but this time the swelling and pain is so much greater and has lasted longer. I'm thinking one of the reasons could be arterial concerning blood flow? Hell if I do not see and feel some improvement over the next few days I'll just go see our family doctor.

This is effecting everything in my life at the moment and I'm not a happy camper.

4. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Why wait a couple of days? If the pain is enough to where you can't get around I'd head there today.

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I would have went Monday but I'm unemployed at the moment and my unemployment compensation at the moment is so low I cannot afford the initial $65 cost, I may have to borrow it from my mom then pay her back. After my last post I realized that I have not been taking my high blood pressure medicine since this past August (so I took one today) and I'm not sure if that could lead to these conditions?

I initially got on them because my sodium intake (from Gatorade) led to a small case of hypertension yet this is the first time I have experienced this condition in over a year.

6. didimao0072000

didimao0072000 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
  7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You may be right!!! I Wiki'd gout and cameup with this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001459/

I did not think of it because I did not know the causes but a friend of mine had it years ago because he was on a steak bender for a few months and he told me it was caused by his excessive beef/protein intake. My alcohol intake can be described as 'social' but with all my downtime lately I normally have a few drinks 4-5 days a week yet I drink about a gallon of water a day also.

I'll use the info provided and see my doctor asap.

Thanks,
    Gregg

ps, I have noticed over the last few days that my urine is much darker than normal so this could be the buildup of the Uric acid which is a sign of gout.

8. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Possibly a burst cyst/sac higher up in the leg leading to pooling of fluid. It will subside with time. Look up Baker's cyst.

Keep leg elevated and as vertical as possible, to drain fluid in opposite direction.
    If you can get a family member to press in and work the fluid back down, that could help.

If it is this, then the pain is simply the fluid working into the spaces between and around your muscles, restricting their ability to work properly. You should be ok to walk around in a day or two, but the pain doesn't really go away for a few months.

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    A cyst would be visibly noticeable, wouldn't it? I am walking but very very slowly so I'll see what the doctor says.

Thank you for taking the time to help,
    Gregg

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Did you twist your ankle or injure your foot somehow ?

RICE

Rest

Ice

Compression

Elevation

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    No sir I did not and that is my conundrum.

I have been getting lots of rest but have not iced but I tried compression which made the pain worse and I try to keep it elevated as much as possible, nothing helps.

12. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    From looks and symptom and when it came on it COULD be a gout attack. Make sure youre hydrating, reduce protien intake. You can find lists of things to avoid all over on line. Ice could make it worse actually. Use WARM not hot water soaks or bath towels in warm water. Use an antiinflammatory if you can over the counter and in a few days it should relieve itself. Get your uric acid checked when you can and then re check it in 2-3 months to see if youre headed to another attack as they tend to worsen and become more frequent. Everyone associates it with a big toe pain, but it commonly is seen in the mid foot, ankle and even the heel. If youre a younger man (18-35) you need a physical exam as you should not be getting gout at such a young age and may be other causes you need to find out about.
    hope it helps.
    legal disclaimer, this is not for diagnosis or treatment advice. See your family physician for confirmation of your diagnosis or treatment plan.

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The commonly seen area's you mentioned leaves me little doubt that it is not gout. I never exceed my grams per lb of body weight for protein intake so I can honestly rule that scenario out. I'm 47yr's old and started experiencing this condition back in '09. I had thought about a good soak in epsom salt water but I know I need to see my doctor and hopefully that will be tomorrow morning. Many many thanks to everyone for their opinions, insight and advice as I have learned alot from everyone.

Thank you,
    Gregg :)

14. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    Any heart issues?

15. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Is your calf swollen as well? If your calf is tender it could be compartment syndrome or a (deep vein thrombosis) DVT. Go see a physician to rule out any serious issues.

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    AJ,
    No I have no heart issues. It has been 3yrs since I had a full workover/physical while in the hospital and after all the test I was found to be in very good condition for someone 45yrs old. My family on either my moms side or dads side has no history of heart disease.

PT 328,
    No sir my calf was/is normal. I did findout though that my moms side of the family has a history of gout. Alot of my swelling has gone down and the pain is almost nonexistent now. I will be making an appointment with my doctor to discuss what treatment will be best.

Thanks again,
    Gregg

17. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    One day I woke up and went to get out of bed and as soon as my heel hit the floor I had a horrible sharp pain from my heel to my ankle. I couldn't put any weight on it without bad pain. The dr. didn't know what it was, told me to ice it. After about 3 days of icing it and staying off of that foot as much as I could it pretty much went away.

I still don't know what caused it or what it was.

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You see that was my issue aswell. Scenario: When I called my mom to take me to the emergency room back in '09 because I thought I was having a heart attack and $19K later she mentions to me "Oh yeh excessive sodium intake can lead to hypertension" which was verified by my doctors so I was like wtf, why did you not mention this earlier?!?!?!!?

Then I findout yesterday my family has a history of Gout which is an inherited form of arthritis and that was another issue that I did not know about.

19. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Has it improved any?

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yes sir it has as I now walk without pain and 99% of the swelling is gone. I have only had 1-2 episodes per year for only about the last 3-4yrs but I will be preparing myself now and can hopefully remove any chance of another episode as severe as this past one.

Thanks for asking also I appreciate that ;) ,
    Gregg

21. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope it doesn't come back, mine hasn't but I fear it will.

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think it is possible you had a gout attack. The pain is unimaginable. It is quite possible to wake up with an attack out of the blue.

I had gout for years. If you have gout, it will come back. Look for a repeat attack in a couple of months. If you leave it untreated, it will come back more and more often.

90% of all gout sufferers are above 50 and male.

Now, here's the good news -- it's completely treatable and without much money or change in habits.

My suggestion: See a rheumatalogist. A simple blood test will show your blood/uric acid level and if you have gout.

If you do, it's not a big deal to get treatment.

There are some simple treatments today that can control this. Also, losing weight and drinking a lot of water (while cutting down on alcohol) will help. There are some foods that you can also stay away from.

Hope this helps!

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yes sir you are correct on all points and I'll be seeing my doctor asap for a treatment plan. I'm back to normal now but man I do not want to go through that again as this last bout was the most severe I have ever experienced.

Thanks again for all the help and insight,
    Gregg

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Good luck. If you have gout, I can tell you that I have been pain free for over one year now -- and I had attacks about ever 3 to 5 weeks. It is treatable. You do not need to suffer from it.

25. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Did you stand a lot without moving the day or days before this happened?