Tach & Power loss Intermittent | FerrariChat

Tach & Power loss Intermittent

Discussion in '308/328' started by thejackal, Jun 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thejackal

thejackal Rookie

Jun 24, 2016
    Calgary
    Apologies if this has been posted before but couldn’t find the thread. Yesterday on the road my 308 (single distributor carb model) suddenly lost the tachometer and power, stayed liked this for a while, then recovered, then repeat and recovered until I got it home. So, to me seems like a coil or faulty earth? Any advise on what to check , which earth to check, or how to confirm faulty coil ? Thanks in advance.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes, the tach signal is derived from the coil.

Not sure exactly the pattern of "Coil failure", but it's actually a fact that oil potted coils (like our OEM) really are not supposed to mount horizontal.
    Ferrari ignored that!

So yes, I would clean and tighten all the various small wiring off the coil and condenser, and worst case I found MSDs round EPOXY potted coil is an almost exact dimensional size replacement, and is "Horizontal mounting OK"....

I guess a single distributor only has the one coil.....???

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Even though you have a single distributor, the electrical portion is virtually still two completely independent ignition systems. Do you have points inside your distributor and two ordinary coils, or the "magnetic impulse" system with two "coils with electronic module control"?

4. thejackal

thejackal Rookie

Jun 24, 2016
    Calgary
  5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You've got the conventional coils and distributor with points. Certainly possible to swap the coils to see if the trouble moves to the other side (i.e., same 1/2 power trouble, but the tach works) or not, but one of the points could also be the trouble (you could make point dwell measurements and/or visually/mechanically inspect them) or the cap/rotor/coil wire. Good Hunting!

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If its similar to a mondial there is a multi pin plug mounted forward of the rear left wheel, behind the insert. They need a clean- tacho cuts in and out on me but no loss of power

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is a good clue, the connector itself but also the frame welded "bend over" fastening, which can, maybe, damage the conductors.

Those coils ARE vertical??
    Can't see enough of the mounting but it looks like it...…..