Take my Mondial through a car wash ? | FerrariChat

Take my Mondial through a car wash ?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by TOM B, Jan 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I've always washed my Mondial by hand. It's also my daily driver and can get very dirty. The problem is, it's been as low as 17 below zero in New York!!! Way too cold for even a person of questionable judgement such as myself.

I'd love to run her through a car wash but am concerned about two things. First, is the car too low to safely ride over the "tracks" ? Secondly, the large grille vents on the sides. Will they be damaged by the action of the "wipers" in the car wash?

It would really be helpful if someone who actually ran their Mondial thru an automatic car wash would respond.

The only other option is to use Griot's Speed Shine as i've been doing. The only problem----I end up using over 1/2 gallon and over a dozen cotton cloths per wash.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

2. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    I'd consider a touchless wash but not a brush wash! Unless you just like swirled paint.

3. VS1

VS1 Karting

Oct 16, 2002
    Beavercreek, OH
    Full Name:
    Vishal Soin
    I don't think clearance will be an issue. But, the only one I would consider would be a touchless wash. There are not great - but at least will get some of the salt and grit off the car.

4. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    It SHOULDN'T be an issue but you never know. My Lotus is too low for a car wash.

Ken

5. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I can't imagine taking my crummy minivan to a car wash, let alone my Ferrari. But I don't live in the snow belt either!

What would you pay to use a heated indoor DIY car washing area?

6. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I've always been a Europa fan. Especially Twin Cams. I can understand why it won't clear the car wash....it's basically a racing go-cart, wrapped in fiberglass. :)

I'm envious.

Tom

7. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

It's not the cost so much as the hassle. First of all, I don't think they're heated. They really don't do a good job unless you bring along your own sponge and hand wipe the car. Then there's all those quarters. Maybe i'm just lazy. Maybe I don't deserve to own a Ferrari. :(

It's for sale if you'd like to rescue it. :) Check out FerrariAds.com

Tom

8. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I was just at a local car wash (not with the Mondial) and it said 7" clearance needed. Seems high, though.

9. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Thanks for the info Sam. Hey. You'd look good in a 3.2. I'll make you such a deal. :)

Tom

10. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Arghhhhh...I want it SO bad...
    Good angel: "No..be practical..."
    Little devil (tom) "oh you only live once"

3.2 or not 3.2, that is the question

11. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Thanks! It's a fun toy, and by necessity one learns a lot about basic car maintainence. The lowest part is the bottom of the front swaybar attachment bolts at about 4 1/2". They are far enough back that I've yet to scrape them on anything, but they foul any car wash or pit rails.

Ken

12. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Tom, Why are you selling it? You just got the heater working!

13. the red one

the red one Karting

Dec 21, 2004
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm not sure, but are the tires too wide to fit in the little track?

14. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    It's time to move on. Don't worry, i'll be back in a couple of years or less. With something red, with horsies on it, 4 more cylinders, and carburetors. :)

Tom

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Tom,
    I just read your FerrariAd. I'm impressed that this Mondial has been your daily driver all year around. That's a REAL Ferrari owner! LOL! But trading it on a mini Cooper? Say WHAT?? You're going to miss the Mondial a lot.

Birdman

16. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
  17. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    I would definably go touchless. And choose one that you drive into yourself as opposed to the track ones. Done it with my mondial, just make sure your roof does not leak and the windows close tightly. If it's a cabrio, the water will come in through the windows when the high pressure water hits it.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    You guys HAVE to get one of those Mr Clean car wash things. It is great, all in one device. You can put a wash mit on one hand and grab this thing with the other and go.
    The best part is the spot free final rinse. It really works, you don't have to touch your car at all afterwards not even the windows. I couldn't live without one now.

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Agreed the Mr. Clean Car Wash is great. No spots and it is a breeze to use. READ THE DIRECTIONS or you will just waste your time with it.

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I just got one, and was disappoineted with the water pressure/spray on the "rinse" cycle... seemed to take an eternity to rinse the car down. I will try a bit more, but almost seems easier to do it the "old" way and dry down down with microfiber cloth. Seems it would take about the same amount of time.

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I use the high psi regular water to rinse the soap off and just follow up with the low psi filtered spray last. I just walk around the car and wave it over it like I am using a paint gun. It just takes a minute or so. Is that not the way you do it?

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, (and I tried to be thorough) but got spotting.....I will try again this weekend.

23. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Tom,
    You and your 3.2 have been an inspsiration for those of us who have had the question lurking, "can I just drive it?". Your answer was "yes". Thanks & good luck with whatever is next.
    Cheers, Hank

24. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    What about the local carwash cafe? Don't you guys have those? You can sit around drinking a cup or 2 while everyone checks out your car & half a dozen indentured slaves busy themselves treating your beauty to the ultimate makeover. No machines involved, just lots of sweat!

25. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Hank, thanks. Gee. I've never been an "inspiration" before. (blushing). The Mondial is gone now and being replaced by a MINI Cooper S with the new 6-speed automatic with paddle shifters. It's due in mid-April. :)

Tom