Takes 'Cats' off F355 Spider | FerrariChat

Takes 'Cats' off F355 Spider

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ade, Feb 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Hi guys,

I've got a tubi on my 355. However, I've heard that Tonyh and Simon (and others) have had their 'cats removed' in addition. Please excuse my ignorance, but what does this mean(are they catalytic converters?)? How much does it cost? Is it legal and does the car pass emission/noise tests and laws? Does it reduce back-pressure and therefore performance?

I'm definately of the opinion - more noise and flames the better!!!!!

Cheers
    Ade

2. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Cats removed are the catalytic converters. From what I've learn the main aim of removing these is the heat build up and the potential damage to the manifolds.

I'm getting mine done next week.

Rick

3. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    By removing the Cats you do the following..

1. increase F1 noise. Sound is even better !!!!!
    2. increase BHP slightly due better flow of exhaust gases.
    3. decrease heat build up on manifolds.
    4. will have no trouble with cat ECU warning lights coming on.
    5. same on weight.
    6. save cats, cost a lot to replace when damaged, so keep them.
    7. the car will produce slightly more CO/CO2, may fail MOT, but if the MOT mechanic is a nice guy should pass it. Take him for blast down the road should do the trick.
    8. should take no more then 2 hours to change them the cats back from the straight/test pipes.
    9. Straigth/test pipes cost about £200.00 try QV London or Scunderia Systems, speak to Manu.

I think thats about it, more pro's then con's.
    Do not worry about the police, they have no idea about ferraris and what they should like.

4. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    Nice one Rick!!
    Yea,I have to say without the cats the car defo runs cooler,which must be good.Mine used to run with the needle bang on the 190 deg all the time (on the temp gauge.)Without the cats, its running about 3/4mm below that now. I was told by my MOT tester that it was borderline on the emmisions readout when it was last done,but this year emmisions regs are being tightened up, so it may struggle.If it fails I'll bang the cats back on for the day.

5. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

Thanks for all the information. Sounds like a good move to me. Also sounds like if the emission law are tightening up, there will be a lot of people banging the CATs back on - just for an MOT day!! I'll be sure to keep mine...

6. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

Ade,

Take it from me, on one of the driveouts, i followed Simon /Tonyh cars for a couple of hrs...ooooooooooh what a symphony that was.....cars were swerving out the way cos all they could hear was a loud fcar howl blasting up the carriageway.....oops !! all within the national limit of coarse...

Joe

7. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    You naughty people you taking those cats off,ive been a mot tester for 16
    years and if the cats not there 99% of the time it wont pass,so you have to have a tester has a drinking mate,
    TAKE THEM CAT'S OFF I SAY

Dale.

8. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Drinking mates, eh? Next round of beers is on me...

9. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Forget Verdi ----get MOT @ Dale's shop!

10. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Ade it just passed,pint of foster's or carling please,stella give's me a bad head,lightweight i am,
    need to get a brainbox to screw with the lambda control and its a pass,

Dale.

11. Andy hls

Andy hls Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2003
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    Andy
    You poor guys cat off cats on What you need is a pre cat car no probs.