Taking the F12 plunge.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Taking the F12 plunge....

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by RogGT-R, Aug 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Correct about the leather inside cover. Had one of the plastic wingnuts refuse to loosen and then cracked while unwinding. Handed him the wingnut to be replaced but instead replaced the entire leather shield part for free under warranty as the wingnuts are not a separate part. Good idea to put some silicon gel inside that wingnut mechanism to avoid binding. That rear leather piece has to be made to your interior leather or Alcantara spec. ;)

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Congrats

Let them fit the Odd battery. You can fit something else yourself. If you just want a reliable AGM Varta Silver Dynamic works great, or you can opt for a lithium battery from either Braille or Antigravity.

Something else to make sure of. If the car has Pirellis on it, get them off! They are crap, garbage, rubbish, trash, and utter junk! And if it has Michelins more than 5 years old, get them replaced too.
    The Michelins are on a completely different level, and you will be able to enjoy the car much more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    Flip - and there was me thinking simple dipstick haha. Much appreciated, thanks.

4. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    That was my thought to throw a Varta in when Odd dies.

I guess that you aren't a P Zero fan haha.

It's actually currently on Bridgestones......nearly new by tread depth it seems and car is only 5 years old so suspect they will be new. Will check and take photos and post up on Saturday.

Pilot Sport 4S I assume for massive traction uplift and less darty steering? In speaking to Fuoco tyre pressures make a big difference.

Off to view a new garage this morning!

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's not so much about not being a PZero fan. That tyre has some very real issues on that car. Tramlining, flatspotting, noise and overall a harsh feel. A proper mismatch.

The Bridgestones are okay. A bit noisy and a bit skittish, but not unpredictable like the PZero. Like with all tyres, they will of course also lose grip with age. If they are OE Bridgestones, they are reaching the end of the line. Nothing a bit of spirited hooning about can't help.

But yes Michelin 4S is probably the best choice. It is worth noting that the OE MPSS has been discontinued. If you go with 4S down the line, go with a 265 front. The rear will be the 812 K spec tyre but there's no 255 matching K. The non-K 255 runs a bit narrow, sp the 265 is very close to OE.

Have fun.

6. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    Amazing thanks. I had read the 265 is needed and use the K 812 rear. I suspect they will transform the car. Will see what Bridgestones have left and finish them off on road trip perhaps ready for new boots.

Il Co-Pilota and ryalex like this.
  7. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    #32 colonels, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    i will be getting new tires soon as well. so from your post i tried both the TIRERACK recommended and then custom changed the front to 265. price difference is 200 bucks. there are no negatives running the 265 on the front of an F12? these are all Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm getting the 4S, replacing a set of 2017 SS K2 which I couldn't find (and I guess the dealer couldn't either since they said just get 4S). I'll let you know how they feel. The K2 were good when warm, some slip on WOT but I didn't really explore the lateral grip yet...

9. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    congratulations!! beautiful car, enjoy in excellent healthy... also great taste in music!

ryalex likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No there's no negatives, only positives. Let me break it down a bit.
    In terms of radius i.e tyre profile, we're talking 3mm. You would have a hard time visually seeing a difference between the old MPSS K2 and an MPS4S 265. Same goes for shoulder width. It was 10.4" for the 255 MPSS on the F12, the 265 4S is 10.7". So again, 3mm on each side,
    The important part is the tread width front to rear bias. The front K2 MPSS had a seriously wide tread for a 255 - wider than some 265 tyres. It was 9.4". The tread width of a 255 4S is only 9", so about 11 mm less. The 4S has a 9.5" wide tread, so that is close to the same. If we look at the rears both the MPSS K2 and 4S K1 have 11.1" wide treads.

So as far as tread width goes it is as follows.
    MPSS 255/35R20K2 9.4" - 315/35R20K2 11.1".
    MPS4S 255/35R20 9.0" - 315/35R20K1 11.1".
    MPS4S 265/35R20 9.5" - 315/35R20K1 11.1"

That's the numbers behind using the 265. As far as the ABS and ESC goes, the overall diameter difference is way below the tolerances of the ESC systems. The differences is the same as the factory recommended winter tyres in fact. That's 255 front and 305 rear. Here you're just going 265 front and 315 rear.

Hope this helps:)

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    A.B
    Please can you tell me what size front tyres [ MPPS ] to put on my superfast wheels I am fitting to my F12, would it be 275 as per the 812 or would you recommend 265?
    I know I am fine with the 315 rears.
    Thanks you
    Grant

12. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    It absolutely does thanks!

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You can fit both. A few guys in my neck of the woods whom have track and race experience, like to run either TdF or 812 rubber on their F12's. But it depends on how you use the car. Unless you like a fairly neutral, and thus also somewhat unforgiving setup, the 265 is the tyre to run. The 265 fits well on the 10" wide wheel, and fits wheels as wide as 10.5", so there's zero fitment issues - it will look good. With the 275 the car will feel more lively and that can be a challenge for some. But lets be real, people run the full 812 setup on F12's, FF's and Lussos. It's not like it makes any of the cars undrivable. It will make the F12 less relaxed and more neutral, and for some that's not a good thing considering that the F12 has a nervous personality. On average, I'd say most would be perfectly happy with the 265 and that is the best balance, but if you're in the group who find himself getting constantly annoyed with the understeer in the F12 and like a bit of sideways action, the 275 is an option to get rid of some of that. With a tread width of 9.9", the 812 tyre does add quite a bit of rubber up front.

14. Romaihi

Romaihi Rookie

Apr 26, 2020
    Qatar
    Full Name:
    Hamad Al Romaihi
    I installed MPS4S two months ago

Very smooth and sticky.

Highly recommended!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ryalex likes this.
  15. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    What's funny is that one of my friends has been a Volbeat fan forever, and goes to every concert here, etc. I just sat and listened through my first song from them maybe 6 weeks ago, but I was hooked right away. And my taste leans more to 80s-90s Alt and modern progressive trance, not heavy metal.

Avia11 likes this.
  16. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    So what to do about the original owner's dedication plate? I was joking with my wife about just using a P-Touch to make a label with my name and stick it over that.

Maybe Things Engraved can do something for less than $645. :D

17. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    https://www.abbott-trophies.com/ :rolleyes:;):D

ryalex likes this.
  18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    265/315 is a lot of rubber. I would imagine with current generation tires most of the F12 twitchiness is gone and it grips well from low speeds?

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Kinda. The MPS4S is the next generation, but don't forget that the MPSS was already a stellar shoe. It is definitely a step forward, but don't expect miracles. Part of the twitchiness comes from a suspension that is a bit underdampened and nervous, combined with a throttle that can only be described as overly sensitive. It is not 458 bad, but it lacks proper modulation.
    The MPS4S does make the car feel more planted, but the F12 is busy and nervous by nature. Firmer dampers would be a huge improvement, but nobody offers that.

As an overall answer to that question, yes it definitely helps, but keep your expectations realistic:)

ryalex and Jo Sta7 like this.
  20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thank you so much, its good to have some experts on here with great advise. :)

21. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Its like 330am, but remember to post after you get your first drive!

22. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    DONE! Ordered and picking up next Saturday.

Noise was amazing but absolutely needs valves open all the time.

It’s got really odd tyres.... Bridgestones but S001 on front and S007 rear......

I have to say I adored it but it wasn’t as fast or as scary as the reviews/opinions online suggest. Steering no more nervous or direct than my Spec V and god yes it’s fast but Manageable so (motorway joining got all red lights on and blinking in third and fourth) on wide open throttle. I expected to be more ‘scared’ but actually it was very polite round town and visibility was pretty good, relatively speaking.

Comes with cover and conditioner which appears to be the higher rates CTEK MXS 5 not the MXS 3 which should charge and condition the battery without having to upgrade it.

Anyway - roll on next Saturday!!

ryalex likes this.
  23. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It’s when you blast it to overtake someone on the side roads which are uneven it gets a bit twitchy or when tyres are cold, not a problem at the moment in the UK. Smooth roads or tracks like Silverstone are not a problem.

I should get my new wheels and tyres by the end of the week as well. You should try to listen to one with an X pipe fitted, it will blow your mind and ears, its Loud, I should be coming to Hampton Court in a couple of weeks if that’s anywhere near you? Not sure they would like me revving it up though.

24. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I thought the same thing - Clarkson and Vicki were both like "whooa it's too darty and impossible to control!" Which made me nervous. I watched pretty much every review I could, several times each. And then I get in and drive it, and was pleasantly surprised that it is not difficult or overly sharp unless you're really on it. Maybe I'm used to the steering coming out of 1k mi/mo in my 458. I drove the F12 for about 30 hours with one hand lightly holding the wheel keeping it straight, burbling along* in 7th. Now I think JC must have been in a bad mood when he shot that review.

*calmly at 70mph+

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  25. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    I remember when I first drove the Spec V which is fixed Bilstein Race suspension and had to wind a lot of lock off at first roundabout and thought ‘oh, thIs is pointy’ and when expecting it I was very nicely surprised. Am sure it will get more fun but it wasn’t hard to drive as i feared. Frankly it was pretty relaxed!

Tons to explore of course as you start to learn her over first few 1,000 miles - and X Pipe -.....I don’t really want to go down the rabbit hole and opening valves seems smart without being OTT....

ryalex likes this.