Taking the F12 plunge.... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Taking the F12 plunge....

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by RogGT-R, Aug 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    Appreciated - X Pipe on its own? (probably not going to do the full system) I am Central London, Russell Square/Farringdon. Always up for meeting new people, especially disturbing the peace around historic monuments haha

2. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Have you had experience with the Li Ion batteries? I sometimes leave cars for months in public garages that have no public power outlets and thought this might be a way to get enough electrons in there not to have to deal with dead batteries.

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The Antigravity is a great way to deal with this. They will not only shut down if they get too low, but have a built in booster function. So far everyone in my group who run them have been happy. Just remember to get the Ctek lithium charger and proper adapter.
    If you get one of these with the Ctek, it's all plug and play:)
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ctek-Ferrari-Battery-Charger-Conditioner-Adapter-Cable-4-pin-Type-/183641012432

cwall and sampelligrino like this.
  4. MVP_rf

MVP_rf Rookie

Jun 22, 2019
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Congratulations on an awesome decision! I live in Central London too and bought mine last year. I opened up the valves after 100 miles or so because I wanted to hear that amazing V12 more of the time and at road legal speeds! It’s loud enough now and most people think it’s an aftermarket exhaust. Enjoy!

ryalex and RogGT-R like this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    X pipe on its own is a bit of an odd one. It won't do much other than thin out the sound. If you do an x pipe and Capristo boxes, you get more of an aftermarket sound, but not that much in terms of volume. Just consider where you live and how much of a pain to others you think it is cool to be.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Romaihi

Romaihi Rookie

Apr 26, 2020
    Qatar
    Full Name:
    Hamad Al Romaihi
  7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    How about just 200 cell cats and a valve controller? I'd like a little more roar but I do like how quiet it is when cruising.

8. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    Cheers - think am going to go valves open to start with and see how it goes as can always do controller or more later. Don’t want it all at once! Not even picked her up yet.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's really personal. I haven't heard an F12 with just sportscats. I heard it on an FF, and didn't really care for it. It was louder, but instead of a cooler and refined sound, it was more like "broken car exhaust" sound if that makes sense.

I like the sound of Novi and Capristo stuff, and would rather have that than a bit more volume with the headaches associated with decats and sportscats.

That's just my take on it:)

ryalex likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Get the Capristo controller then. It's cheap and your dealer can install it in 30 mins before you take delivery. Why settle when it is that easy? You might quickly find that being able to close the valves is sometimes a very good thing. Also worth noting is the fact that the Capristo controller can be set to be valves open as default, so it's not like you will have to operate the remote every time you get in the car if always open is what you want. Then you only need it when you find yourself in a situation that calls for closed valves.

You get the best of both worlds for very little. It's a no-brainer imo.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Controller honestly it’s worthless to me. U lose power if anything with valves open... dealer will charge u like 2 hours to install not 30 mins at least In the USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Natkingcolebasket69

For the FF cabin is so quiet that getting the 200cel and all thing from kline was the only way to enjoy it inside and outside.
    Now sounds like this:

ryalex likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Does seem to be twitchy when pushed!

x z8 likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If your dealer charges you 2 hours, ask him to sit and spin.

Just lrt him know that you are farmiliar with the procedure and know it is quick.
    I do know from others in the US that it is definitely not all that charges 2 hours for this. Sounds to me like you need to take your business elsewhere.

I believe that the OP is not in the IMUS, so there's that too.

But yes, you lose torque - that's another reason why I suggest the controller rather than pinning them open.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It is. The F12 is of a generation where Ferrari went overboard on the E numbers - just think of the 458.

It can be rectified to a degree, but it is a bit annoying. The darty steering is easily changed, but the overly sensitive throttle you just have to get used to.

16. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    OP is in UK and thanks for info. Tyres (seen your posts on other threads) am looking at MPS4S in 265/215 both not K stamped - or is K rear and non K front ok?

It’s currently on S001 Front and S007 Rear for some reason which must be adding significant unsprung weight if nothing else!!

Planning to Pin to start as torque loss isn’t going to be huge issue and then may add controller later.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Running non-K in the front will be fine in this case. The 812 K spec rear with a non K front is also what Ferrari dealers do now as the K spec MPSS is discontinued. K spec does not mean better quality control, softer compound or the like. The tyres are model specific. The 245 MPS4S K1 for the Lusso is quite a bit different compared to the 245 MPS4S K2 for the Porto. Most important thing to note is that Ferrari don't make odd changes such as different sidewall stiffnesses inside vs. out like for instance Mercedes do. The most important thing to be aware of is the tread widths in relation to each other.

Many talk about the K spec as a "Ferrari compound". That's nonsense as K spec does not have to have any bearing on the compound. The last tyre which had a significantly different compound was the MPSS for the 599 GTO, but those tyres were also shaven and oddly sized. This is also why one should refrain from sticking the MPSS 315/35R20 K1 on the back of an F12. That tyre is very specific to the GTO.

18. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Got the 4S on yesterday, order blip made them arrive a few days later. Put maybe 30-40 miles on them last night. Right away I can tell that the fresh rubber is more compliant and it doesn't skip or shimmy nearly as much on throttle. They feel great, you can feel that they're just that much softer through the pedals and wheel. Bite at freeway speeds much better, the car just launches ahead.

x z8 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Good stuff.

What front size did you get?

ryalex likes this.
  20. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    Great - thanks and really appreciate the advice. 265 MPS4S front rather than 255 OEM sizes as it appears both are available?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yep.

Why do you think the Bridgestones add a lot of weight? The 007 is not a terrible tyre in the "A" version. It is probably what I'd recommend to someone who was dead set on not having one being K spec and the other not. I still think the MPS4S is far superior, but the Potenza S007A is decent. The non-A version is not terribly impressive, but not actually terrible. But the S001 is a tyre I properly hate - more so than the Pirelli. Loud, sketchy, poor grip, don't last. I can only think of one reason why someone would put the tyres on your car that is on it. The previous owner took the car to a tyre shop and those were in stock, and the previous owner did not care and know better. Find it hard to believe that a Ferrari dealer did that installation.

22. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    Mistakenly thought it was RF for some reason.

Will kill off the Bridgestones quickly as will be cruising to get to grips with car and get to know her. Just had word all is clear, sorted and ready to roll at dealership to pickup tomorrow AM.

Very very excited - first Ferrari.......

ryalex likes this.
  23. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The fronts you cannot get in K1 in 265.
    So I went with
    Front- pilot sport 4S - 265/35/zr20 99Y
    rears- pilot sport 4S - 315/35 R20 110Y K1

The rears are in short supply at the moment, I ordered from My Tyres .com at first, they are not based in the UK but had depo in Oxford, I spent a week chasing only to find they did not have them even though their web-site said they were and are still in stock. Beware they have lots of other web-site with different names.

Got a refund today, but ordered more from Camskill.co.uk yesterday, a UK company with UK phone number and they were cheaper and helpful on the phone, they are being sent on Monday and should arrive on Tue. [ hopfully]

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  24. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    I am planning to do same combo as soon as killed the ones on the car currently. Camskill always been first class and absolutely ring them as always get a few £ additional especially if rare sizes they want to get out of warehouse. Always found service to be top notch too.

25. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I remembered to check it looks like 255 front and 315 rear.