Taking the F12 plunge.... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Taking the F12 plunge....

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by RogGT-R, Aug 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MVP_rf

MVP_rf Rookie

Jun 22, 2019
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Congrats on the purchase... a great decision! I bought mine last year and like you also live in Central London. It still excites me every time I take off the covers and start up that blaring V12! After a short while I had the valves opened permanently as I wanted to hear more of the V12, more of the time.

I had bought a controller but thought I would just see what it was like with the valves permanently open first and it’s perfect so I never got the controller out of the box! The main thing for me is that it gives you much more sound at lower RPMs which I like.

Enjoy!

ryalex likes this.
  2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Driving it around already?

RogGT-R likes this.
  3. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Oh he has been driving it all day, messaged me that he's enjoying it.
    Got mine from the same dealer 10 days ago in Rosso Fuoco

Attached Files:

mclaren slr, RogGT-R and ryalex like this.
  4. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Do let me know as I'm 15 minutes from Hampton Court, be great to hear your car, see if we can get Rog down for the day.

RogGT-R likes this.
  5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Sure.
    Hampton Court Palace, on Sat. the 5th for the Concours of Elegance.
    We should be there from 9am- 16.00 ish
    I will pm you my number.
    Ps can't see the photos of your car.

colonels likes this.
  6. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    be sure to check out the hedge maze there

7. GeeDubb

GeeDubb Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Glen Williams
    Hi
    I just wanted to check with you on your tyre thoughts. The Pirelli came with my F12 2015. If i could reduce the dartyness of the steering, reduce road noise, and improve cold weather grip. What is your experience with those three things?. Michelins ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Il Co-Pilota and ryalex like this.
  8. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I switched my 355 and Alfa quadrifoglio from Pirelli to Michelin and it is night and day better. Someone here joked that the P-Zero puts the traction level right in the name: zero. The P Zero Corsas on the Alfa are downright scary they are so stuttery and slippery except when 125°+.

My F12 came with 2017 dated Michelin Supersport K2 which are now NLA but the newer SS 4S are great so far, much better again.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Such a great pearl color, it really glows. Which is what bums me out about TdF, it looks lighter under artificial light - and certain angles it looks like a nice indigo - but most of the time in sunlight it gets very dark to the point there is little detail seen: Image Unavailable, Please Login

I wish it actually looked like this iphone photo, but to the eye it doesn't: Image Unavailable, Please Login

MDEL and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yep, that'll do it:)

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631 likes this.
  11. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    Evening all and Fuoco gave an accurate update that it’s been a heck of a weekend.

Wow, wow, wow. What a car. So relaxed to drive and chilled on motorways and on roads round North Yorkshire - that noise, OMG that noise.

Totally happy with decision - never even looked at the 458. Feels so elegant and love it in Rosso Corsa - not sure why people don’t like it as it suits the colour so well. Creams interior with headlining etc is a bit ‘355 and old school’ maybe but it really works and the missus and non car friends say it’s far better than they imagined and love it. They would be honest if they didn’t....

It’s got a very odd round town/low speed noises - sounds almost electric (certainly quiet and mechanical). Assume it’s normal but one flat pitch sounds like a slightly old bathroom extractor fan and the other, which rises and falls with revs, is like angry bees, broken hairdryer, whistling rattle. Only round town and 10-40 MPH when 10-20% throttle. I imagine it’s just what it sounds like but thought I would check (Fuoco appears to have the same for at least one?).

This terrifying drive, razor steering which keeps you aching and concentrating while driving stuff I am a bit confused about. It was far more sedate and easy to drive on motorway than either Nismo or Spec V GT-R and steering wasn’t as tiring as either. Yes, it’s involving and did WOT in 2nd/3rd and 4th on open straight road in Race and was absolutely fine - wasn’t actually as quick as I expected (again GT-R makes you immune to speed really). Just squatted, wiggled it’s ass, and went. Obviously it’s insane and sounds incredible and gathers speed in excess of 100 as if you are accelerating from 30+ - am treating it with the greatest respect until we get to know each of course. It’s started to shrink around me already and getting back into London in traffic was fine.

Gearbox and bit grumbly and jumpy at slow speeds and the one annoying thing for smooth driving is the transition from light to no throttle which you get a sharp engine brake impact.

Internal systems - I run a tech company and I would have been firing people right left and centre but it’s quite cool to learn the quirks (Cruise Control - dear goodness).

So the niggles and bits out of the way. You get more looks than people suggested and all positive. It feels special inside. It’s an occasion and I grinned at the aero intakes over the wheel arches all the way down the M1. It sounds truly epic at top end and will sort that through the rev range shortly. Not had a chance to throw her around and will do that when more space and heat.

Oddly the right offside tyre gainS 4-5 degrees more temp than the others but stays same pressure so might be something odd there as that doesn’t add up.

It’s the way it makes you feel though - I have wanted one since I was 7 and could say Ferrari and it’s absolutely everything and the event and the smile I dreamt of.

Appreciate all the help and advice on here thus far and looking forward to being part of the community for many years to come and meeting up with some new friends.

I have the PDF of the owners manual now (yes I am a geek) so that’s this evenings reading.

A very, very happy new member of the Scuderia. :)

tomc, mclaren slr and Solid State like this.
  12. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    I would be delighted!

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sounds like a great time:)

The small difference in tyre temp is normal. Unless you have the car corner balanced for just you, there will always be a slight difference.

4-5 degrees is not enough to affect pressure in a significant way. Also, the TPMS is not always 100%. Remember to check your pressures occasionally in the morning using a good gauge.

14. GeeDubb

GeeDubb Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Glen Williams
    So the bottom line combination of the above is your best thoughts on suitability MPS4S 265/35R20 9.5" - 315/35R20K1 11.1"

Vegas Bobby and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes. Both will of course work, but I think that the 265 provides an overall better balance.

16. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Thank you for above, have a slight dilemma, Dealer just put 2 Pirelli PZeros on the rear 10 days ago and fronts are past 6 years car is booked to go in for 2 new fronts next week, If we replace like for like will end up with 4 new Pirellis which means rubbish handling for a while, however if I opt for the Michelin P4S 265 fronts then as rears will need replacing sooner I will then be on the ideal 4 tyres. Would you think running Michelin fronts and Pirelli rears for a while would work?

17. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Really enjoyed reading your experience above Rog, and well done for making the effort to go collect the car, will touch base soon.
    Enjoy in good health

RogGT-R likes this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What ever you do, don't mix the PZero rears with MPS4S fronts. I have not personally tried it, but know the nature of each tyre, that would be a serious handful with a VERY tailhappy car. Why not just see the two new PZero's as a bit of added expense and get the better set when the car goes in? We spend so much already so does it actually matter compared to the tradeoffs? If it will make you feel any better, go and have a bit of sideways fun on the PZeros, then you won't feel as bad about replacing "new" tyres as you can quickly get than half way down. We should all try and improve our drifting skills on occasion:D

ANOpax likes this.
  19. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Oh you're so right, why not indeed as it gives me an excuse to practice sideways driving for a bit

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    F12 tyre pressures:-
    The hand book says:-
    Pirelli P Zero------------.Front 30.5 psi/ 2.1 bar, rears 29 psi /2.0 bar
    Michelin Pilot super sport Front 34.8psi /2.4 bar, rears 31.9 psi/2.2bar

That seems quite a jump on the fronts?
    I will be running 265 wide MPS 4S with slightly wider wheels, do you think I should be aiming for the tyre preesure shown in the hand book?
    Or do you have any other thoughts?
    Thanks

21. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    How does one correct the darty steering? At high speeds, it is really scary!

22. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    I saw that (I may have read the entire handbook last night) and did think it was a very firm starting pressure for the fronts and 10% + jump on PZ cold. They will be 40 odd warm and more? Also delta between front and rear is higher on MPSS over PZ. MPS4S are stiffer and closer to PZ sidewall and stiffness i would guess.

Am sure co-pilota will correct my thinking! ;-)

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The carcass of the F12 PZero and MPSS are very different, so that's why there's such a big difference. The 812 runs a higher PSI on PZ4, but still lower than what it would run on Michelins. I'd keep the rear 2.2 but drop the front to 2.3 due to the increase in volume. I find the 2.4 in the MPSS to be on the high side of things in the F12 anyway, so 2.3 for the 265 MPS4S.

Wheels1 and RogGT-R like this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Before you try and correct anything, make sure you take the car to an allignment shop that do a proper four wheel measurement. See if the car is where it should be. If one front wheel has been knocked out of toe so it toes out even more than stock spec, that will increase the dartyness even further. Fact is that it is not that uncommon for a Ferrari to come with the alignment off a bit so start by making sure it's at stock spec.
    If all checks out, you ran then reduce the toe out a bit, or even try going to toe in. But get it to stock specs first if it's not at that, and see how that feels.

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its pure genius! The entire function in one button. Genius I tell you... :)

tomc and RogGT-R like this.