Taking the old road. | FerrariChat

Taking the old road.

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by johnireland, Sep 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    If you read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" you should remember his discussion of "the old road" in the beginning. I've gotten rid of so much that I had collected over the years that I felt a desire to get back a little ballast...in the form of a couple of vintage Omega watches. These are from the early-mid 1950s. Known as the Jumbo cases (38mm), these are old fashioned snap back cases...no moisture proofing what-so-ever. If you wash your hands, you are smart to take them off first. And they are not thick like some of the modern cans of tuna fish that people are wearing. The yellowing dial is original...and for its age, a survivor. The second watch will appear below. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
  3. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Beautiful watches. Congratulations.

4. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Just traded the first Omega (cream dial) plus cash for a very very rare Rolex 1018 with glossy black gilt dial. I have only seen three with an original black dial in 20 years. Many of the silver dials but only 3 with the black dials. These are the exact same watch as the 1016 Explorer 1, but with a slightly smaller crown and case tube. They only come in stainless and were often considered the business suit Explorer. Two pictures of my previous 1018 with the older style dauphine hands and on a Jubilee bracelet is also posted. I do miss the Omega, but I have the second one, with the silver dial, still coming. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Island Time likes this.
  5. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Those Omegas are beautiful, the dial texture especially.

I'm a bit of a fan of Universal Geneve Polerouters. They were designed by Gerald Genta at the age of 23. He later went on to design such classics as the Patek Philippe Nautilus, Royal Oak Offshore, Omega Pie Pan Constellation and others.

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Beautiful! Love the textured dial.

Personally, I've always loved Glycine and Vacheron from the period they had more grace than the Pateks but the styling of that Omega is simply beautiful.

Regards,

Art S.