Talk to me about the lancia 037 | FerrariChat

Talk to me about the lancia 037

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by philt68, Jul 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    Has anyone here ever driven a stradale version? There's really very little info on them. But I think they're SO cool!

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What's the problem, rally version scare you? :D

Me too!

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    They're wonderful.

I'd like two: one in street trim, and one in Martini rallying stripes with many lights.

:)

Matt

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I think the acceleration of the Stradale isn't all that great (0-62 in around 7 seconds) but it is a cool looking car. The race version would be more my cup of tea! The Delta S4 would be fantastic but isn't all that great in the looks department.

5. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    A car built for the twisties, not drag racing. Besides winning WRC championships and being the car to beat at the end of the 2wd WRC era, the Gr5 Montecarlo built from same center section beat Porsche for the FIA World Championship for makes in roadracing. Don't know of any other car to do that. Very versatile. Love my Montecarlo, but dream its an 037.

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It's one of my favorite cars. Stradale's either hd the huge wing on the back, or they didn't. If you're looking at one that does you may want to install some rear view cameras, because you cannot see out the back at all. There used to be a video of Al Cosentino driving his spiritedly around, on the web. It was called the Lancia Rally I think, in the US Market. I've also seen it called the Lancia Abarth. The engine was tuned by Abarth, and is sort of shared with the Fiat 131 Abarth. Great lineage. Definitely not a top speed kind of car, I think gearing on them was quite short, even on the stradale's. But I have also heard acceleration is great because of that, which makes me wonder about the comment above of it being slow to accelerate.

Not easy to find these cars for sale, but they are quite the catch if you do. Would look good in your already spectacular collection.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  8. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city

I've found a couple of stradale versions, but they're expensive! 200k euro...and then I wonder if it would be really so different from driving a Stratos...they do look cool though, although only a 4 cylinder, so don't sound that amazing, unless its a group b version of course..

9. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Not a lot of hp in the Stradale, but I'm sure it would be a hell of a fun car in the twisties. The Velocity Channel sometime shows 'Rallying, the Killing Years' which has some good shots of the rally version. It was on earlier today I think by coincidence.

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah, that's the ticket! Group B, Group B, no not really. Realistically, what would you do with such a thing?

I just thought video was way cool.

Think you could learn to drive like that? ;)

11. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    I had dreamed about owning a Ford RS200 for years and finally the right one came along. The car was special, mine was an EVO model and it had not been modified. When asked what it was like to drive I just told people it behaved like a cat.....a cat that you held by the scruff of the neck over your bat tub, you held the cat there while you filled the tub, then when closing the tap and hearing the final drip, drip from the faucet you released the cat into the tub. Violent, raw and incredible comes to mind when describing the experience. It would out accelerate my F40!

Two years ago a car came up and something had to go, the RS200 was the first car that left. Then a friend mentioned that one of his friends had a virtually new 037 Stradale that he was considering the sale of. I've followed these cars for years and I believe that only two ever came to the USA Arutunoff's and mine.

It is a slot car for sure....a canyon weapon. I can drive a car but would never pretend that I'm capable of using most cars to their limits (especially cars like an RS 200 Evo). The power is very manageable and the car feels like it is is on rails. With seemingly unlimited suspension settings and adjustments any driver could tweak these cars to their likings. The sound is awesome, very mechanical noises (a subdued version of the video Bob posted).

In the video that Bob posted there are some of the best descriptions from Paolo.
    "It's more easy in the faster"
    "The faster change of direction is OK"
    It's very precise.
    I love watching as Paolo tries to finish doing up his helmet and as he continues driving it completely comes undone.

When I drive the 037 on the street I don't miss the RS200. If you are a fan of the design I would recommend increasing the population on this side of the pond and like Bob said take it out and s**t your pants :)

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    :D LOL! The man obviously craves some crazy in his life!

Phil?

13. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city

This is very annoying-I'd just convinced myself that there was no need for the 037, and now this, a possibly epic post that has made me certifiably nuts again for an 037...if possible, can you tell us more about how it is to own? Reliable? Tough to find parts? And of course, the sound! (I sent you an email, but wanted to fully stalk you on ALL fronts)

14. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick Karting

Nov 29, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dale W
    lol...I was wondering when something like this might come from your corner... :)

Dale

15. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #16 jeffdavison, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you can find it, The book "Ultimo Mito" is a fantastic reference on the 037 Stradale.
    It's been out of print for a while, but well worth the search and the cost if you can find a copy. A very limited edition. I googled and found these.. I have one in my library I purchased around 10 years ago. # 471 of 1500.
    If you purchase one, make sure you get a gaurantee from the vendor about sticking pages. The first one I received had a few of the photo pages stuck that couldn't be unstuck without damage as the stock they had were stored improperly. The sent me another and all was fine with the replacement. Just a bit of a diappointment considering the quality of the book and the cost., but the merchant did come through with flying colors as he sent the replacement at no charge and let me keep the bad one (which I gifted to a friend). I don't remember exactly who the vendor was but I think it was Thomas Motoring Books. I've attached a couple of pics from 10 years ago I found in a shop in Pheoniz Arizona. I think it was IMM.

p.s. If you do acquire a copy, you thirst will definetly be multiplied

037 Ultimo Mito
    David Thomas Motoring Books 037 Ultimo Mito

JD
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  16. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    I'll ditto JD on the book, a great model specific book. Also his warning about your thirst for the car.

I've been blessed to own and drive many of the cars that I read and dreamed about. If there is one thing that ticks me off is the way the media portrays some of these cars. I'll also add that it is not always the fault of the media. When we read about the accomplishments, see the sultry silhouette, hear the roar of an engine or whatever else hooks us about a particular car we tend to build these cars up in our minds and they can do no wrong. My experience has taught me that more often than not the cars do not live up to the hype.

It is always difficult to mirror another persons expectations for a particular car. I find the 037 an exceptional car for the road. Power delivery is very manageable when compared to vehicles like the RS200 or even the F40, both of which are turbocharged. The supercharger from this period did not have the turbo lag so it is much more fun to approach the limit and not be scared for a driver of my abilities. Without a doubt I felt like Chris Harris in the video when I first went for a drive and I feel like I'm going as fast as he is (even though I know I'm not). It truly feels like an overgrown kart.

I think if any car has won a championship chances are much better that the street version will make a good car. Sometimes a lot is lost in the transition to a street car but in the case of the 037, not a lot was lost. Although I've never driven a Stratos I suspect the same would apply.

Group B produced some of the most capable cars ever engineered. I wanted to have something that reflected the period. The RS200 Evo was way too close to the actual race cars for me to enjoy, the 037 is just perfect and the added bonus is it is one of the most stunning also........God love those Italian designers!

As far as reliability and parts goes I don't have enough miles on this car to say. My feeling is that there were enough of them built and the Stradale has so much less power than the actual Group B cars that I think they will hold together.

If and when you get one....call Bob, tell him to bring the Depends, take him for a drive and you can both s**t your pants!!

17. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Awesome

Another car out there I never knew I wanted. Thanks guys.

18. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    #19 PG1964, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    I drove it.
    The best part of the car is the tubular chassis, very rigid, which united to the terrific steering wheel (no servo) makes the car a knife in the butter. Add also that the engine is in mid position mounted longitudinally....it's one the best balanced GT car of the last 30 years (weight=1170 Kg). The road version has an Abarth developed 16-valve four-cylinder in-line 2000cc engine with a volumex supercharger which developed 205 CV and a max speed of 220 Km/h (this is a 1980 project). It's fast, but not very fast.
    What's the point? It's quite rare, the price is more or less 200.000 euros here in Italy and the body panels are very very rare to find.
    The group B version? Double the price, minimum for an ex-works car, and forget to find any spare parts (they don't exist).

19. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The RS200 sounds a lot like a Porsche 935, there used to be some type of Lancia 037 at Canepa's in California.

20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Phil....always poking around seeking some of the coolest rides, LOVE these! Kudos for your good taste.

21. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    Thanks man..of course, it's easy (sort of!) to have good taste-the tough thing is bloody coughing up the money for the cars!

22. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    An investment you can drive, really really fast.

23. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
  24. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city

I called them a while ago, and the 037 wasn't for sale...it was a cunning ruse!