Buy

Taycan. Owners only. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by drjohngober, Oct 30, 2021.

1. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    My everyday car varies between a new Escalade and a Huracan Spyder depending on the weather. I am trying to embrace the EV movement but some aspects do make sense.
    I drove a Taycan last week and my initial impression was that it was very "sterile"- suspension and cabin sound almost too quiet.
    I would like to hear the opinion of owners and their thoughts.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    <crickets>

For what it's worth, I think the real comparison is with a Tesla. An EV is always going to be too quiet if you find a Huracan suits your tastes.

I will defer to owners. Our local Porsche dealer can't even keep them on the lot long enough for a test drive, so good luck.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interested in opinions as well…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Not an owner but drove a base one for 15mns in Connecticut. It's very nice to drive. But does not bring any emotions. I really felt like a passenger. Which i guess is more and more the point. It's a beautiful car for sure, love how it looks but im just not there where i want that sort of quietness.

If Porsche made a V8 version, it would be an amazing machine.

6. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Not an owner either, but I test drove a 'Turbo' version. I thought it was a blast to drive. Thought it had great feel and handled really well. Everyone seems to equate noise with 'soul' but ignore that most new cars have faked engine / exhaust notes.

Ended up not getting one because there wasn't enough space inside for the family. It seemed to have alot less passenger and cargo space compared to a similarly sized Tesla (it's only 2" shorter than a Model S).

Panamera?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Panemera just does not look nearly as beautiful as the Taycan. The 2nd gen improved a lot but still not a pretty car whereas the Taycan is almost gorgeous. Certainly one of the best 4 doors ever in the looks department.

9. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    SportTurismo- fixes the lines, more practical to boot…
    I drove a Taycan (before buying the SportTurismo)- liked it, but too small, back seats were worthless. When my dealer gets the SportTurismo Taycan demo- I’ll go take another look.

10. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I do love the turismo indeed. Still the Taycan is in a class of its own.

11. Infant

Infant Karting

Dec 23, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    René
    Had a Tesla P85d when it came out. "Undid" the purchase 2 weeks later. Coming from Porsche, Audi, BMW etc. cars and getting into a Tesla was (at least at that time) a huge downgrade for anything but the straight line acceleration.

Had a Taycan 4S in 2020 and part of this year. Traded it in because we moved from The Netherlands (with a terrific EV infrastructure) to Spain (without any EV infrastructure to speak of).

My thoughts, in short:

• Fast but not 'sensational'. That is mostly due to the missing sound, I think. I sometimes switched on the Porsche Sound thing but it really doesn't compare to the sound of an ICE car.
    • Excellent daily driver. Really: reliable, fast, spacious (enough) and very nice to drive especially when you get the rear wheel steering option (a must for me should I ever order another one).
    • Never worried about mileage. I drove it like I drive my normal cars; I had a charger at home so the car was always 100% full when I left. I never had to drive more than 350 km in a day so didn't care about the supposedly better mileage of a Tesla.
    • Feels proper Porsche. Nice materials, plenty of personalisation options. That said: all modern Porsches feel a bit 'clinical'.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Thank you all, this agrees with my opinion. In one word, the Taycan felt "sterile"- very quiet and minimal road feel. I like it but it is almost too good. Audi is delivering their E-trons now that look promising. In my opinion, they look more "porschish" than the Porsche.
    Anyone driven the new Audi yet?

14. Iriedon40

Iriedon40 Rookie

Dec 12, 2020
    Tampa
    Full Name:
    Don
    Just got a Tycan and would say I totally enjoy the ride, performance and tech stuff. The reason the Tycan is so good it is a bridge from ICE to BEV. Not Tesla tech but enough for the target audience. The car will improve over time as Porsche sends updates over the air. Yes the car is quiet and hearing exhaust is something most of us grew up with, now we have a Star Trek car doing warp speed more a visual and physical feel than auditory. The future is coming and for sure BEV’s will become better. One owners opinion.

15. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Agree 100%.
    The SportTurismo is an absolutely gorgeous car