TDF: EXACTLY AS CRAZY AS IT SHOULD BE: | FerrariChat

TDF: EXACTLY AS CRAZY AS IT SHOULD BE:

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by cortwagner, Jan 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cortwagner

cortwagner Karting

Aug 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    #1 cortwagner, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just wanted to personally thank the boys in Maranello for building such a bonkers automobile. Nothing I have owned, since my Carrera GT, has kept my attention and my eye balls so strained and focused at the job at hand. This motor, now coupled to a transmission which is finally just as amazing as the motor, with it's shorter ratios, is the sickest N/A V12 to exist. The sheer bhp and tq. combined with the traction control systems, which try in vein to keep everything harnessed, literally scare me to happiness. Rarely do I get so excited to be so scared, but I wouldn't want it any other way from this car. The TDF will go down in the record books as the last of the great weapons from Italy, forcing the driver to drive, not be on the mobile phone, not listening to music, not texting, just driving and praying he/she is capable enough that they don't run out of of talent at the next corner. Finally a modern super car that really is not antiseptic or constrained in any way.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you Maranello.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Nicely Done

3. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    WOW!!! Is that Bianco Fuji or Italia? I even love the lettering on the sidewalls, nicely done, congratulations and thanks for your opinion.

4. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Great write up as you have nailed the point of the car which many journalist seem to have overlooked. This car is different from all the sanitised competition where Nanny is always there to make you feel a hero. As one journo put it, the best part about driving this car is when it is back ticking as it cools in the garage and you and it are still in one piece.

Nicky_Santoro and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    I'm a fan of everything about the TDF except the looks.

I wish they made the TDF engine, trans, suspension with the regular looking F12.

6. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Amazing, definitely my favourite of all time! What a beauty.. congrats.

7. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Beautiful spec too!

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What an amazing machine. Something not built for ultimate lap times. Something that didn't need to run a fictitious Nring lap time for marketing purposes. It's built for driver involvement. It's meant to be a challenge. It's all the better for it.

NGooding and Nicky_Santoro like this.
  9. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Congrats Cort ! It's good to see someone enjoy the hell out of that monster !

Is the car bianco avus ? did you post some more pics ?

10. cortwagner

cortwagner Karting

Aug 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Zaius, I understand you opinion on the looks of this car but Enzo was adamant about never wanting "boy toy racer" wings on ANY of their street cars, at all costs. It's so difficult to make real downforce without wings and stay pretty or elegant. Also remember Maranello did not have any intention of wanting this car to be pretty, that's the whole point of everything about this car. It's "ugly", it's "mean" it wants to throw you at every opportunity, it spit's in your eye while laughing, it yells "single purpose" from every angle, that's the true beauty of this car. It's a no holds barred production car, a rare breed in todays lead follow of all of these manufacturers trying to "one up" each other while playing it all too safe in design and execution.
    Cheers.

11. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Great review and criticism of other cars ... or models ... no names !

Congrats and enjoy the heck out of it for us.

Fantastic Spec in this case ... beautiful !

12. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Congrats on this amazing beast and great short review.
    The TDF would make Enzo proud. Uncompromised street performance with a purpose. It's Ferrari's answer to the 911R before the 911R was launched.

13. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Great write up. Lovely Spec. Enjoy in good health :)

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not sure about that. The TDF was built to challenge and possibly kick your ass. The 911R was just built to be raw but in every other respect make you feel like a hero. I'd like both significantly, however.

15. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    That is so amazing, I ache for one of these !

16. seawise

seawise Karting

Feb 29, 2016
    Sussex, UK
    just fantastic - exactly the sort of Ferrari that appeals to me. massive want, well done that man for using it as the engineers intended.

17. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Sorry for being off topic, but can we somehow paint the lettering on the sidewalls to get that same look, or will it just peel off over time?

18. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Last of the..............until F12M VS !!

19. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That we don't know. It may offer a different driving style......

20. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    #20 carlom001, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just had my R delivered. Both are raw albeit with very different soundtracks but with their own distinct appeal. TDF best appreciated and exploited on a track, but I think I will derive most pleasure from the R on mountain roads. Both great cars but TDF in a different league with that exceptional V12 and rightly so at twice the price of the R.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Congrats, what a beauty. amazing how the value of a car can be enhanced by making it, by scientific measurements, worse :). I only wish it was done more often so cars like this wouldn't become so damn expensive in the secondary market!

22. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Not sure you're right about that one. The GT3 RS was built to be raw. The 911R was actually meant to be significantly softer than the RS. More visceral than a normal 911, but nowhere near as raw as the RS. The RS was built to be fast on the track and the street. The 911R was built to have fun on the twisties, but never meant to be a raw track/street machine.

23. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Don't paint, it won't last and look like crap within a short time. There are some companies that make some thin rubber pieces that are "glued" on to the sidewall. They can make these pieces so they look OE and fit with the radius of the tyre.

24. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    You know what I mean, last time the GTO was the one and so on.....am sure 488VS will make my Aperta look like a shopping car ! Circle of life.

25. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Cool, Cort - good score!!