Tech folks --- belt 184986 | FerrariChat

Tech folks --- belt 184986

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ricambi America, May 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#1 Ricambi America, May 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hardcore techies,

Who has installed belt 184986 in a 355 yet? This is the supercession from the old timing belt 181610 and appears totally different in construction. The tooth side appears to have a visible webbing reinforcement (coated in plastic?) and the exterior has a visible webbing/woven appearance too.

At first glance, this seems about 50% stronger than the old 181610, but of course I have no statistical data to back that up.

Anyone have first hand experiences with it yet?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have been putting that design on the 12's for a while. I am sure I have put them on 360's also. Looks like a better belt but what do I know I just fix cars.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    From what I understand these are kevlar reinforced. All of the late 96 to present V12's had them from the get go..they have now started making them for the eights aswell. Again only know what I been told..

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Not suprisingly, it's 20% more expensive. According to my calculations, it should therefore last 36,000 miles. Yeah, right.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Yea but the old one was probably going to go up 30% because Luigi in purchasing's cousin that has the contract for the old belt wants a new Boat for cruising around Lake Como.

6. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    #6 RF128706, May 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi there, I fitted these new belts to my 355.

I also noticed the construction and took a picture of the reference numbers. I searched the Dayco website, but didn't find any information on the differences.

I was going to e-mail their tech. department (but forgot until you posted this) as I'd like to include information on the differences in my major service write-up articles. As you can see there is an additional N in the Dayco part number, but so far I've not been able to decipher the designation. If Dayco write back I'll post the info here.