Tech Get togethers | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tech Get togethers

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Bob308GTS, Feb 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    In the first picture. Is that the Dreaded "Timing Belt" that I see inside there? Doesn't look all too bad to access,just judging by the picture alone.

2. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Ist pic shows the 1-4 timing belt cover easy to get to and remove, the 5-8 is just barely visible in the pic, AC comp needs to come off to get to that one.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Ah Yes. Thank-you,Sir. Looks like something that a guy who ripped apart engines and rebuilt them can do.:)

4. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    You are a brave man, Bob. :)

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Gotta agree with you there,Don. I don't have a problem wrenching old American cars,because if you screw something up in the process,it's not going to be too bad,($$$) to rectify. Screw up something on a Ferrari,and be prepared to pay for it. Gotta have alot of knowledge and confidence there.

6. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    First time I put a jack under the 308, took me 30 min to feel right about where to place the jack. Now little by little it becoming just a car to work on. Only doing what you know you can do, you will learn little, going one step beyond that and learn a lot. But always have a safety net to fall back on. Looking foward to getting it back on the road soon.

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    HeeHeeHee. Yes,you are definitely right about that,Bob. I guess it's like that with anything. The first time that I rebuilt an engine. Seemed pretty easy taking it apart. But,putting it back together correctly was another story. Luckily,I had a StepFather who was a long time mechanic looking over my shoulder. "Did you torque it?". "Did you Mic it?" "Did you lube it?" "Did you check Bearing clearances?" etc....And,after a couple,I got the hang of it. But,always checked, double checked,and re-checked everything. :)

8. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    It all comes down to how many parts you have left over when you think the job is done... HAH! Then to figure out where they go....

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thats funny! I have a younger Brother that lives out in Phoenix,AZ.(3,actually) that is very mechanically inclined. When he was a little kid,he took apart an Alarm Clock-one of those Old fashioned wind up ones. He put it back together,and there were some parts left over. But,the clock worked! (Slow,though) But,he was just a small kid-7 or 8 years old.

Now,every time that I go out to visit him,which is a few times a year. He's always got something taken apart. Usually,his Computer. And,he's Upgrading it,and so on. He has No College or any formal training. I told him that he should go,and then he'd really be dangerous.:)