News

Tech: Installing Challenge Grill on a 360

Discussion in 'MVPEurosports.com' started by RossoCorsaItaly, May 4, 2006.

1. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    We just got done installing a new challenge grill on the MVP 360 yesterday so I figured I'd share a how-to since it's a fairly simple DIY job.

Tools:

6mm Wrench
    10mm Wrench
    Tape (optional)
    Towels

Directions:

1. Mark the top of all the tail lights with the masking tape, just to ensure you install them correctly again. It may be a good idea to label each tail light with a number so you don't get them mixed up.

2. Remove harness from the back of each tail light, there is a clip that you will have to pull up, after that it will simply slide off.

3. Remove the two screws and washers holding each tail light off. After this, the tail light should come right off. Proceed to the next step once all four tail lights have been removed. Note that the brackets that come off holding the tail light harness will be used later.

4. There are 12 10mm nuts there are 4 by the hinge and there are 2 on each side of the hinge that are embedded into the bracing. At the bottom of the bracings there is a hole just in case a nut falls. There is one on each side of the top far corner of the grills and two more in between the ones on the top far corner and the two on the side of the hinges.

5. Now the OE grill is ready to remove, there are two zipties holding the tail light harnesses to the grill, you will need one person to hold the grill while the other cuts the harnesses free.

6. Now remove the OE grill, make sure to lay it down on a towel. There are two 6mm nuts holding the Cavallino in place. Remove these and the Cavallino will come right off, note that it will be very tight in place so try to wiggle it out without scratching the paint on the OE grill.

7. Put the emblem onto the new grill, your Challenge grill should have holes to put the Cavallino back on, again this is a very tight fit.

8. When installing the grill make sure to put two washers on the top two screws of the hinge, otherwise the hatch will not close properly. We ran into this problem.

9. Place a towel across the top edges of the bumper to prevent the Challenge grill from scratching the bottom of the bumper. Two people are recommended for this part.

10. Put the grill into place and note that it may be a tight fit so you will need to start tightening some of the nuts to pull the grill into place and the rest of the holes will start allign. Two top screws on the outer edge of the grill are recommended to get first, because it will bow out and try to rub the bumper otherwise.

11. Start putting all 12 nuts back on and tighten securly.

12. Put the brackets, bolts, and washers back on the tail lights. Make sure that the masking tape is in the same position it was when the tail lights were removed. Do this for all four tail lights until they are all tight and fit.

13. Clip the harnesses back into place, the two middle lights, the harnesses are yellow, and the outer lights, the harness is black.

Your grill should be back on, make sure your hatch closes and start the car up to make sure all lights are working. This should take 1-1.5 hours. It is a fairly simple job and the challenge grill is recommended for 360 owners as it's a way to help keep your 360 cool and boy does it look good.

Note that MVP always has them in stock at an f-chat price of $1,350.

Please call 940-683-8100 or email Kevin@MVPEurosports.com if you have further questions regarding the grill.

Regards,
    Kevin

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray Johns
    Great write up Kevin. I'm going to be installing my challenge grill as soon as my car arrives. One question I had was on #8 above. Do you have a photo showing which two screws you are talking about? I'm not sure which hinge you mean. Are you talking about the latch area? What size washers and/or how thick a stack.

Any photos would be great, thanks!

Ray

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray Johns
    #3 RayJohns, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I gotta thank Kevin at MVP - I used his write up above when installing my challenge grill and it made the job go really smooth. I'll attach some photos of the finished installation below. I'd also like to toss in a few comments regarding my installation.

1. The idea to mark the tail lights with tape was a great tip. I marked the top of mine and also numbered them #1, #2, #3, #4. At first, I thought I could do the job without removing the tail lights until after the grill was out. However, I quickly found out you need access to some of the nuts which hold the grill on and the only way to gain access to them is through the tail light holes.

2. Putting the tape on the bumper saved several nicks in the paint for sure. In fact, I would recommend putting two layers of the blue 3M painters tape. It's a big help when getting the challenge grill on, especially on the corners.

3. On my factory rear grill (the solid one), there were two washers on the top two screws (the ones on either side of the latch in the middle). There were actually 4 total, but I didn't end up using the other two (which I think were in each corner, but not sure).

4. Some of the 10mm nuts are difficult to remove. It takes a few different tools. One tool I found really helpful was one of those little round drives that you stick a socket on. It sort of looks like a wheel and is only about 3/8" thick. That was a big help. They are included in the Metrinch tool kits luckily (see http://www.mitools.com/ for photo).

5. Installing the challenge grill is a little tricky. It's not a perfect fit, you sort of have to force it into place, then slowly pull it tight with the bolts. At first, I thought I had run into some real problems, but as I tightened everything down, it snugged the brackets up to the car. When all was said and done, it fit like a glove.

6. The clearance between the bottom of the challenge grill and the top of the bumper is very tight. When I was all done and pulled the tape off, it was nearly an interference fit right below the latch area (in the middle). The rest was about a 3/32 to 1/8th gap or so. Again, using the tape was very important I thought! And certainly saved me a couple of nasty scratches in the paint.

7. Once installed, check the engine lid to make sure it latches. I also ended up unscrewing the rubber stoppers about 1/2 turn on each side so that the lid would sit down properly and give a little "pop" when you open the latch. Don't go crazy though :)

Again, a big thanks to Kevin at MVP for his terrific write up! Attached are some photos showing my car with the grill installed :)

Ray
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ray,

Looks great! Thanks for your input.

Regards,
    Kevin

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray Johns
    I forgot to mention, an interesting by-product of the challenge grill is that when backing up, you can see through it. It adds just a touch of extra rear visibility! :)

Ray

6. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ
    Owner Consultant

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Great detail. I installed mine. However, some of them don't fit exactly. When I'd installed everything, it wouldn't latch. Had to loosen everything, push against the grill, etc., to get it to fit properly. Off just enough to make the fit difficult. Once it latched, then tightened everything up.

Art

7. Giggs

Giggs Rookie

Jun 29, 2006
    Top right up, followed it to a tee.
    Only encountered one problem, and that was with the latch, but thats now sorted.

Thanks.

Giggs

8. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This is was step 8 was referring to, I'm sure there are other remedies to fixing the latch not closing at first problem but we just found it easier to use two washers. I'm glad you guys found it useful.

9. Giggs

Giggs Rookie

Jun 29, 2006
    I had to use washers top and bottom, It would be good to see how ferrari mechanics fit them.
    I know they charge 2 hours labour for it...95GBP + VAT.

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray Johns
    The latch can be tricky even on its own at times. After I installed my Tubi, I couldn't get the hatch to close while the car was on. I turned it off, then it would latch. Could have been because the car was on the jack also for a while - not sure. Anyway, it's been fine ever since. I did do the two washer trick kevin mentioned however - so that may have helped :)

Ray

11. 285ferrari

285ferrari F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Where is the thread for the 355 install??? Come on guys!! Is it very similiar??

12. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Great thread thanks for the info!! I will be tackeling this project this weekend!

Robert

13. RossoCorsaItaly

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    EU
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good luck! Call my cell if you have any problems 405-795-3560

14. cEd4jets

cEd4jets Rookie

Jan 30, 2008
    Sanibel Island, FL
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks to all of your comments my install went very easily yesterday. I used washers (spacers) all the way around as without the grill pulled in too far leaving the sides of the body protruding. With the spacers its all flush and looks great.

15. JohnnyDrama

JohnnyDrama Rookie

Mar 24, 2008
    Just wanted to thank ya'll for the installation instructions. Worked like a charm and it looks awesome! As for the latch, i have to pull the trunk release fully before mine latches...just fyi for anyone having problems with the latch.

If anyone out there needs a solid red rear panel, i gots one!

Johnny