Tech Talk | FerrariChat

Tech Talk

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Ferrari Tech, May 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    We are planning another Tech Talk and I am interested in hearing suggestions for topics you may want to know more about. Anything is open on this, just throw it out there.

4re308 and Merlin Auto Group like this.
  2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Brake Fluid: Pathway to Combustion :D:p:D;) with special guest Brian C.

sjd

3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    That's funny right there, I don't care who you are. I laughed out loud for real. :D:D:D:D

4re308 and steved033 like this.
  4. fedgery77

fedgery77 Karting

Apr 18, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    So I have not had an opportunity to attend one of these yet, so not sure if any of my suggestions have already been discussed. And no idea if these are off topic or not...but here are some that have popped into my head and some of them I'm looking at from the standpoint of owning an older Ferrari.

• Myth vs fact when it comes to maintenace.
    • Ferrari Leather - Why does it stretch and unglue even on newer Ferraris? Is there a way to prevent this?
    • Why do older Ferraris have so many grounding issues? How to help prevent or lessen these issues?
    • Older Ferrari single stage paint vs New/Modern Ferrari paint
    • Exhaust modifications and how they affect the factory ECU and performance of the car
    • How long is it ok to have a car sitting without driving it? What are some negative effects on a car that is rarely driven?
    • How a manual transmission works in older Ferraris vs paddle shift in newer Ferraris. Reliability?

4re308, VAF84 and Ferrari Tech like this.
  5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Thank you, all good subjects.
    I like the myth vs fact. I guess I need to try and find some myths & see if I actually know the truth. :confused:
    If anyone has any, let me know.

fedgery77 likes this.
  6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    • Any real suggestion to the pitifully poor instrument lighting in 308s/328s.
    • Any solution for improving perfomance of air conditioners in the same models, particularly when the car has to sit in the sun on a hot day?
    • Speakers in the door panels don't last very long, probably due to water intrusion; any suggestions?
    • No one has been able to get my windshield washers to work; again, any suggestions?

fedgery77 likes this.
  7. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Again, good suggestions. I may need a few more talks to cover all this.

fedgery77 likes this.
  8. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Don't forget the dreaded sticky switches!! :eek:

fedgery77 likes this.
  9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I would suggest preventative maintenance and the importance of having it done by someone with a high degree of product knowledge, not just some foreign car repair guy. . At my old location in California I had for the most part long term clientele. Life was pretty boring. Cars didn't break, there were no surprises at annual services. We knew prior to the cars arrival what was needed. Now in Texas with a bunch different cars every month a huge percentage are a mess, broken stuff I have never seen, important updates never performed and service issues I have never experienced all from a poor regular service schedule and facility.

4re308 and brian.s like this.
  10. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #1,2,4 have all been addressed here and exist in the sticky section. I personally contributed to these threads. They have the definitive solution to #1 and #4. And many working options for #2 depending on budget.

11. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    We touched on this in the last Tech Talk, but is worth covering every time. I see a lot of this as well. I comes down to having your car worked on by someone that doesn't know when he doesn't know. Makes all the difference in the long run to have your car maintained by someone that knows what it should look and drive like.

4re308 likes this.
  12. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I would it imagine it is nice to discuss these issues face to face at times. I am sure everything I talk about can be found on this forum at some point.