Techniques to test condition of clutch? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Techniques to test condition of clutch?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rob lay, Feb 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You didn't let Carbie drive it, did you?

Seriously, the clutch was probably one of those reasons why the car was for sale. Fix it. Drive it. Enjoy.

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Aircon....seek help. Seriously.

Back to clutches....

Had a weird one today. 308 GTB Carb. Intermittant clutch dragging, slightly baulky changes. Crunchy reverse sometimes. Free play all ok, Slight judder intermittant too, No slip, no vibration, no noises.

Clutch/spigot bearing etc, the usual, right??

Nope, took it all out and the pressure plate side of the centre plate completely destroyed and detached from disc, broken into about 10 pieces.

Never seen such a messed up clutch that still drove with so few problems. I've seen plenty of exploded plates, but the car usually arrives on a flat bed......

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Aircon,

IMO, Wrong poor install plain and simple. There are 50 things that could have been wrong. Yes Yes the guy who did it was some kind of expert but you know wha... sometimes surgery is a success and patients die too. If the car went back to the same mechanic I doubt he said "oh yeah...stupid me...I cocked the pressure plate on the flywheel studs and after a few shifts the pressure plate settles and now the Throwout bearing can reach the pressure fingers to release the clutch".

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Hmmm, I sense foul play here...a few pm's flying around maybe??

Anyway, I didn't do the install. It came from UK with clutch all installed. Upon removal all was well with the clutch, apart from excessive wear making the finger height out of spec.

After cleaning, checking and re shimming the clutch back to Tilton specs, I then found the slave cylinder has insufficent reach and have built a new bearing carrier to suit. Fit it up next week....and will report news if asked.

5. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    How's the paranoia, Phil?

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I don't know, what does everyone else think?

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Both of you, go buy the other guy a pint. Life is too short to get ticked off at people. Hell, bill me for it (just a pint each that is).

Live. Enjoy. Repeat.