Teflon Paint Treatment? ResistAll? A Touch of Class? | FerrariChat

Teflon Paint Treatment? ResistAll? A Touch of Class?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Brian C. Stradale, Mar 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Several have posted about getting their Ferraris paint treated with a Teflon coating that is like a near-permanent wax job... deep shine and very durable. I haven't been able to find anyone doing it here in Texas.

When I was buying my Honda Pilot recently, they of course offered the typical add-ons that I reject as quickly as they can utter them. But one of the things they threw out was "Teflon paint protection". That got my attention.

However, they couldn't dredge up any info that indicated it was Teflon... let alone any details for me to see if it is the same as what's being offered in Europe. What they handed me was a brochure for "A Touch of Class(R)" protection, a trademark of Cal-Tex Protective coatings. And they opened their book to a page, purportedly for the same thing, but it was trademarked ResistAll(R), though also a trademark of Cal-Tex. Nowhere in any of it does it mention Teflon, which I doubt Dupont would be okay with if it is indeed Teflon.

Before rejecting this, I am wondering if the brochures aren't just
    old... if it is indeed the Teflon paint treatment recently imported,
    then I'd love to try it on my Honda before my Stradale arrives... and
    then if I like it, apply it to my Stradale.

Anybody know anything about any of this???

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    paint me skeptical: it is hard enough to make teflon stick to frying pans, and if you've ever seen a frying pan after the teflon stats to flake off, you will understand my sketicism.

Teflon: one of the lowest friction surfaces known, soft, inert, not bondable to any surface*

My dad worked at DuPont fhen frying pand were invented as a use for teflon. They tried zillions of means to bond teflon to steel and aluminum pan metals; nothing worked. Then one day a different grojup within DuPont tried a different method. Take one long 10 foot by 10 foot sheet of aluminum, clean carefully. Lay one sheet of 30 micron thick teflon over aluminum, lay one sheet of 5 mm of high expolsives over teflon. Evacuate room, Explode--presto, teflon was 'bonded' into the aluminum surface. Electron micrographs showed that teh polymer molecules were driven into the pores of the aluminum and held the tenuous thickness on to the metal.

If they had that mouch trouble bonding teflon to anything: A) how does the car guy hold the teflon onto the paint? B) what happens when the teflon starts to flake off?

Born skeptical:

3. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I don't know the material of coating, but some guys offer what is called "permanent wax". Most Corvette in F. Parra showroom on 183 are treated w/ this coating, and the salesman hooked me up w/ the guy. He quoted $300 for SUV, $200 for 328GTS, and $200 for Mustang Conv., or all 3 for $600. He said the shine will last at least 3-4 years if a car is parked outside, and 5 years if it was indoor parked. (then it IS NOT permanent!) It will take about 4-5 hours to work on 3 cars, he said. Normally 1 car takes 2 hours as it must be washed very well.

If I was charged $20–30 for waxing a car once a month, that's $60-90/month for 3 cars. Then $600 sounds very feasible.

Only reason I haven't done this is that I got 328 in June, then put a house for Sale in July, gone out of the country for 2 weeks in Aug, moved in Sept, and then ruptured Achilles in Oct.

BTW, he said he will guarantee his work for 1 year. If a car is washed incorrectly, the shine will deteriorate sooner thus he won't guarantee for more than 1 year.

Just FYI.

Yoshi