Tell me about Baron 56TCs | FerrariChat

Tell me about Baron 56TCs

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ferraripilot, Jul 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Hey all, I am seriously considering the above but I want to make certain I have done my research correctly.

The aircraft in question was not a trainer, averaged about 70-80 hours annually since new. Twin engines have inside of 300H each on overhauls with oil cooled cams added, so I'm told. Props are recent. Paint is recent. Bigger tank (178 gal). I haven't seen it in person but have a mechanic arranged to do an inspect awaiting my order.

Aside from all the usual standard stuff out there, what might I need to look out for and what might a normal annual be. I am figuring $2-$3k for the annual but I want to make sure I'm not dreaming. Will look to keep it just a bit north of me in Jackson county, I live very near Road Atlanta so it's convenient. AV gas is reasonable there at that small runway there, not that it matters a ton....

As an FYI, this would be the first airplane I've actually 'owned'.

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  3. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    that's perfect. ty

4. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    They're quite fast, but you'll want to own an oil refinery to accompany it. IMO, there's not much point in owning a turbocharged aircraft unless you plan on flying at higher altitudes and suck on O2. I'd stick with a 58 personally.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Since its a twin
    Might try pinging Art (2000yellow360), although he hasn't been on since Feb. Think the inauguration was too much for him.;)

6. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Thanks. The more I research the more I hear the same. It just depends on how addicted I might get to the speed.

7. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Big engines that are somewhat bastardized (same engines as Aztec?). Expensive overhauls. Drinks lots of fuel. Fast, but no pressurization. I've never flown one, just what I've gathered over the years. I think you're dreaming with a $2-3K annual. Probably 3 times that.

8. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This 56TC Baron utilized the same engines as the Duke. Be warned these engines are very temperature sensitive and have many cam issues in the Duke application. 2 -3K for an annual is dreaming. 7K bottom number and god help you if you need a top overhaul (figure 37K for that). Go with a 58 or C model Baron, those engines will eat you alive. Research Beechcraft Duke engines to get all the information you need.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What dmark1 said, maybe times ten.

I always thought the 56TC seemed cool, but I know someone who owned one and it was always broken.

I hear various claims that they've "fixed" the reliability issues on the Duke engines (and hence the 56TC), but I'm dubious. Big piston engines in general are a losing proposition these days, especially with the price of avgas in relation to Jet-A.

If you want a Baron, get an E55 (or C or D), or a 58. They are great airplanes.

10. Christian Sasfai

Dec 31, 2012
    Heath, Texas
    Full Name:
    Christian Sasfai
    It's Beech's version of a 427 S/C Cobra. Stuff a giant engine (in this case, two) into a light and nimble vehicle originally designed with a small engine. As with any vehicle, power comes at a price. I have a Baron 55 and it's a great airplane. Not quite as comfortable as my wife's King Air, but still a pleasure to fly.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Apparently they never got it certified. And, it wasn't all that great anyway-- a Commander will do similar speeds at similar fuel flows, with better pressurization and a much bigger cabin and baggage. And for a similar price.

13. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

They are basically a Baron w Duke engines. 380hp per side.

Beechtalk is a fantastic resource.

C55 burn about 28gph.

With the Dukw motors you'd better plan on 42gph block to block.

14. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

You are correct.

C D or E is the sweet spot.

Huge useful load.

190kts.

Large nose baggage.

Sweet handling.

Rocket rides.

Cheap to acquire.