"Tell me about" what you think of me. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Tell me about" what you think of me.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Chevarri, Apr 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Currently 9:20 PM Pacific Standard time. :) Certainly welcome!

2. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    We can't go down this road without mentioning Sid Vicious...The whole murder vs. suicide pact thing has always intrigued me.

And now, back on topic...

I have only caught a few of your posts but you seem like you're a pretty cool person. But who am I to judge another. Hehehehe. I saw the note by your real name and checked out the drawing. Although I do creative work for a living I can't draw worth a damn anymore(I was great at 7-9 years old) so I am envious! Where are you in school? Major? Goal after graduation?

-ag

3. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    But I like "dainty" things ;)

Yeah, I know how you like to liven things up with pics.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    April 5th, 1994 - not the Thursday, the 8th... Sorry...

PSK, i'm not fanatical about him; he was a great musician and i'm sorry he's not hear anymore... That he had a drug habit is no reason to look down on him... As far as being the best guitar player in the world, well, ****, i don't think ANYONE agrees with that... He was a great musician but not the BEST guitar player in the world... :)

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dude, that was so funny... C'mere, gimme a hug...

6. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #31 DrStranglove, Apr 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I can't understand why people dump on Kurt Cobain's drug problem, and therefore, dismiss his contribution to pop culture/music.....most all popular musicians out there have had substance abuse problems: Clapton, Charlie Parker, Hendrix, Joplin, Miles Davis, etc. etc. etc. I think PSK is just mouthing-off like the OLD FART that he is.

8. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    How does dumping on his drug problem (Which is about as serious a problem as you can get.) at all diss on his Musical talent??

DrS

9. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I can't understand why people dump on Kurt Cobain's drug problem, and therefore, dismiss his contribution to pop culture/music...

No he was musically one of the most influential people in a long time but after watching the antics of his "Wife" of late I would have pulled the trigger too....

Remember when someone like this comes along and blows the prefabricated crap out of the music industry it is always a great thing and some can handle the fame some can't. he was Dark and Disturbed long before he had the money to really go off the wall.

Now if we could only get someone to blow a blast of fresh air through the hip hop world.... (someone please look at doing a "This is Spinal tap" on Rappers we could call it "This is 2 cent biggie puff..."

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL...!!! That whole post was funny...

i was gonna do that whole fresh air thing for the rap/hip hop world but they wouldn't let me... Tried to point me in the 2 cent biggie puff direction and i refused to go... Oh well... :)

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I do not look down on him for his drug problem, I look down on him for topping himself as some sort of 'this is the right thing to do message'.

This guy had the world at his feet and yet he managed to empower many young people with the message that topping yourself is somehow cool.

There are people that I can understand why they topped themselves, but then there are also spoilt little rich brats that topped themselves because they were fncken dickheads ... unfortunately many seem to look up to these people for guidance.

I had a mate that was real into Kurt ... and he thought it was super cool how he topped himself, etc. ...

And ...

If the INXS guy would suddenly come alive again and stand in front of me, I would king hit him REAL fncken hard. How could he be so selfish to do that when he was a father to an innocent little girl. This guy should be removed from any persons hero worship list IMO.

Pete
    ps: I also have a step son who is now 14 who is really, really into his music and thinks Kurt is/was cool ... and everytime he mentions him he ALWAYS mentions that he topped himself. Thanks Kurt for invading a young struggling teenage with those thoughts, thanks very much you musically talented ar*ehole.

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Pete, i hear what you're saying, but if anyone worships or idolizes someone who paints the walls with their brains, then they obviously have some issues they need to work out, as well...

Kurt didn't think he had the world at his feet and if he did, it still wasn't what he wanted... No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't find what he was looking for... Hopelessness set in so he found a way out...

Anyone in their right mind won't idolize suicide; if someone does, then there's a problem... i don't idolize Kurt 'cause he blew his brains out, i just think he was a kick-ass musician...

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree with most of what you said NNO, but real people with courage and a backbone and a responsibility to others do not take the easy way out and blow their brains out.

You might be able to ignore the suicide part, as you are passed the teenage years, but many young people cannot, when they are faced with wars that do not seem to make sense, school that is a pain ... and heros that we all worship too hard when we are young showing them that it is okay to be weak and end it all.

Teenage years suck for many, and they need role models that show them the right road. Unfortunately part of being a teenage is idiolising sports people and if you are into music the musicians. I think we can all remember researching everything about soembody or something (hell, most of my Ferrari knowledge came from those years for me, when I read and re-read and then read again the many fantastic books my father had, and I quizzed him over and over again about this and that ... poor man ;)).

Anyway ... yep my step son may have some issues, infact I know he does, he has a step father for a start who lives and breathes cars, and a real father that believes in living on the dole and not doing anything is the way to life, in the middle of this he has his guitar and music :), guess it is a place away from reality like most of our hobbies ... he's a smart young man and questioning many things ...

Pete

14. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Pete,

I don't listen to music much, and when I do listen my musical tastes are horrid. I listen to JLo and Justin Timberlake, enough said.

However I was listening to the radio last night, and there is a show in the states called "Loveline" hosted by a psychologist Dr. Drew, and his sidekick, Adam, who I think is a construction worker or something. Anyways, young people call in, and they try to help them on the phone with a dose of reality from Adam and some Dr. talk from Drew.

What I noticed is 70% of Kurt calls they took last night from 16-22 year old kids, all started with "Kurt, he is a great man, and I want to pay tribute." Also most of the kids bought into the theory "he was murdered by his wife, and drugs are essential to music."

I found that to be very sad inclination of where our youth culture is and what they are thinking. My heroes were people like Rockerfeller and Reagan (sure many people hate them), but today's kids idolize people like Kurt. How times have changed.

Then again I am not that old ;)

15. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    As to Kurt Cobain and his legacy, i'm sorry i never saw him perform. Although the sound he achieved is now a cliche, it was a refreshing change from alot of the overproduced music that still comes from the "industry" and, at least to me, kicked ass sometimes in ways that other hard rock forms could only hint at. The fact that he might have been a ****ed-up ******* is unfortunate, but part of a great, although unnecessary tradition of madness tied to art.
    As to the original poster's query, why? and why do you care?

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Some of Nirvanas music is ok, but from what i know of him, he was a loser, and till this day his wife is trailer trash. So i see Kurt as sort of a trailer trash spokesperson, hence Carbon/Des's love affair.