Tell Me Why You "Didn't" buy a Maserati..... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tell Me Why You "Didn't" buy a Maserati.....

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Kds, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I am NOT in the market for the Maserati now, but I may buy used later.
    Why? Because I am fairly sure I will be able to get a five year old car for about 20k or less. No data to support that, just gut feeling based on a few factors:

1) I've seen and sat in the cars. Nice, but no German car competitor;
    2) Maserati doesn't have the glamour and following of Ferrari. Therefore, they are "larger" volume manufacturers that have to compete in that league. While enthusiasts will tolerate flaws in a Ferrari, it doesn't work that way with Maserati. The Maser has to be "perfect" to succeed. We already know it is not.

Thus, I am afraid that the car's value will drop like a rock and before too long Maser will be gone again. I don't wish this: I have had Alfa's, and still own a Fiat and f car. It just seems to be the way it is. Maybe the 4 door will find itself some rarified niche and survive. Hope so. Doubt it.

So, I wouldn't spend 80,000 for a car I am sure will be worth 1/4 that is just a few years.

2. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This is a very competitive market place. You have BMW, MB, Jaguar etc. I think that for most people who require reliability in a daily driver and are not rich enough to have a car drop from $90 to $50K very quickly, they will not consider a Maserati. You can buy an M5 BMW in the $70's and it will be maintenance free for 3 years and will hold its value far better. You can buy an E55 in the $70's and it will be more reliable and will hold its value better. But neither are Italian or sound as good as a Maserati. So you can see who are buying the Maseratis.

For them to compete effectively with MB or BMW, they should offer maint free for 4 years and get their reliability levels up. After all they are not really sports/track/exotics. They will be bought as high performance exciting daily drivers.