Tender question? | FerrariChat

Tender question?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Tim Ryan, Jan 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan Karting

Jul 3, 2020
    Lincoln, California
    Full Name:
    Tim Ryan
    I haven't started my 812 Superfast in several weeks but I keep it on a Battery Tender. Today I disconnected the Battery Tender (Tender light was green) I got into the car to start it, all the proper start up lights and chimes where on but it wouldn't start. Has anyone had an issue with their Battery Tender not charging while the light indicates it charged?

I plugged in the Tender to the car and the light shows yellow (Charging)?

Is this a 812 thing or a Tender malfunction?

2. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I always keep the tinder attached when in the garage. No starting problems so far.

3. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I feel like someone else recently had this issue. Driving it more often is always a good solution as well

4. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Try pushing the brake pedal very hard before hitting the start button. When the car has been sitting a while the brake pedal gets a little frozen so at times many of us have had to really push on the brake pedal to release a switch to allow the car to crank on.

tomc, italiafan and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Saying it wouldn't start is not really enough information. Slow crank, fast crank, no crank, error codes, etc. ?

Gianfranco341 likes this.
  6. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan Karting

Jul 3, 2020
    Lincoln, California
    Full Name:
    Tim Ryan
    Hi Solid State,
    All the normal dash lights, no crank just a slight tick, but only one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Tim.

The battery’s are well know just to throw a cell on the 812, I would call Ferrari assist.

I sold my 812 at just over a year old with 1500 miles on, it had always been on charge, the buyer left my house, the start stop worked at the end of my drive, he drove 50 miles and stopped to top up with fuel and it would not start, just a tick when the start button was pressed, the lights would still come on, I went and waited with him for Ferrari recovery in case he needed a lift the extra 100 miles home, they jumped started it, every light on the dash came on but he made it home somehow, his dealer collected it and the battery was changed, they can go with no warning.
    I know 2 other cases of this on the 812 and also with the Portofino!
    Ferrari needs to start to fit decent batteries

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I had the exact same thing happen with my GTC4 Lusso. Bad cells. I took a 90 mile drive, stopped for gas, everything fine. Get into start the car- click and nothing. It was like the battery was dead, except all the screens etc were coming on. Jump started it, fired right up. Drove 4 miles to lunch. After lunch car started. Brought it to the dealer and they said it was a bad cell or cells- they have a battery analyzer. Go figure. I think it might be a good idea to get the factory battery tested at service time and maybe after 3 years just replace it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan Karting

Jul 3, 2020
    Lincoln, California
    Full Name:
    Tim Ryan
    Hi Wheels1,
    That sounds like the same problem, the closest dealer is 140 miles away. I will call the Dealer on Monday and see what they can do. Having it shipped to the dealer is a $1200.00 bill (round trip). I'd like them to cover that if it's possible? Would be nice if they could get the recall done (Rear Window) at the same time but I doubt it.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Tim

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    disconnect the battery and reconnect first.

Caeruleus11 and Tim Ryan like this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you get a tick and then nothing it sounds like a discharged battery. If not under warranty then disconnect the battery cable and connect up a charger. A decent charger will also have a tester in it. If you can't revive it then time for replacement. Acid batteries don't make it back 100% after full discharge so maybe get it back enough to start the car and then figure out why it was drained. Not sure why the tender said it was fully charged. The new ones come with multiple indicators and charges in stages. Do the replacement and go from there.

12. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The magnetic grip of the charger on the car is sometimes finicky- it may be connected enough to show its charging or charged but in reality not locked in enough to do so. I always place it then wiggle the connector a bit to ensure it is fully seated.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan Karting

Jul 3, 2020
    Lincoln, California
    Full Name:
    Tim Ryan
    Hi Newjoint,
    I check mine all the time it fits tight

Thanks for the input!

14. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Keep in mind the battery tender does not “charge” the battery, it maintains the battery.

15. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I'm not sure exactly which tender comes with the 812, but they are usually some sort of CTEK. I keep all my cars on CTEK 7002 tenders which run through several steps that test, charge, analyze, and maintain the charge in the battery.

STEP 1 DESULPHATION
    Detects sulphated batteries. Pulsing current and voltage, removes sulphate from the lead plates of the battery restoring the battery capacity.
    STEP 2 SOFT START
    Tests if the battery can accept charge. This step prevents that charging proceeds with a defect battery.
    STEP 3 BULK
    Charging with maximum current until approximately 80% battery capacity.
    STEP 4 ABSORPTION
    Charging with declining current to maximize up to 100% battery capacity.
    STEP 5 ANALYSE
    Tests if the battery can hold charge. Batteries that can not hold charge may need to be replaced.
    STEP 6 RECOND
    Choose the Recond program to add the Recond step to the charging process. During the Recond step voltage increases to create controlled gassing in the battery. Gasing mixes the battery acid and gives back energy to the battery.
    STEP 7 FLOAT
    Maintaining the battery voltage at maximum level by providing a constant voltage charge.
    STEP 8 PULSE
    Maintaining the battery at 95–100% capacity. The charger monitors the battery voltage and gives a pulse when necessary to keep the battery fully charged.

When I have a failing battery I will see errors in either step 2 (won't accept a charge), or step 5 (can't hold the charge).

Rob

Caeruleus11, otakki and vraa like this.
  16. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    There is also a single LED, black, oval Ferrari unit that’s not a rebranded CTEK.

It’s a pretty simple charger/maintainer and switching between the two, the CTEK seems to do more work.

17. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    just verifying that you unplugged the tender from your trunk plug as well as wall socket. it won't start if the tender is still connected in the trunk.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've heard most of the chain auto parts stores will do free battery testing.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan Karting

Jul 3, 2020
    Lincoln, California
    Full Name:
    Tim Ryan
    Here's the Charger I got with my 812 Superfast.
    On my 2020 812 Superfast, the car will start with the Charger plugged in,
    I accidentally started it once while the charger was still attached and plugged in (Rookie mistake)

Update:
    Saturday the car wouldn't start, tried serval times throughout the day. I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in.
    On Sunday I tried again, bam it started, not sure what the issue was but it seems to be fine now.

Thanks for all the excellent advise!

Tim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    The car will start with the factory supplied tender still hooked up to the car. I have started it numerous times with it still plugged into the tender.

Tim Ryan likes this.
  21. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    interesting, on my 2016 F12 it will not

22. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I’ve started it too with the tender still attached, and once drove away and heard the pop as it detached

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SeattleStew likes this.
  23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The older style tender/ charger attachment cars won’t start with it attached. The newer ones will.

To the OP_ it sounds exactly like bad cell(s) in your battery. The tender will work, they car will seem like its totally fine. And then one day out of the blue, its like you have a dead battery. I suggest you replace the battery immediately. You don’t want to be left stranded. This is exactly what happened to me. Actually on a few different cars over the years.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Nospinzone likes this.
  24. fineito

fineito Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    I'm not a Ferrari owner, but I do own a 2012 QP5 GTS. My aftermarket 3.5 year old Interstate battery failed without warning last March. I could not revive it enough with my Battery Minder 1208, so I had to do a jump start and it started immediately. I was concerned that I would not be able to restart the car after I shut it off. Not to worry, it restarted strong after charging for 10 minutes. Go figure. I then drove my car to the Mas dealer and they identified a bad cell and I had a new battery installed by them (another Interstate enhanced flooded). No problems since. Here's my take-away: Batteries can be very finicky and not give obvious warnings of imminent failure. I've changed my personal guideline from flipping every 4-5 years to 3-4 years.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I've done that a time or 2 lol