TengTools - bad experience | FerrariChat

TengTools - bad experience

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yelcab, Feb 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    For the hell of it, I bought a 150 lb-ft torque wrench from Tengtool. The feature that intrigued me was the built in angle gauge. The buying experience was good but that was it.

1. Tool came, the adjusting handle was extremely hard to turn. I had to put a 6 inch extension at the socket end to have enough leverage to twist the handle.
    2. Turns out the torque angle feature is no better than eyeballing it (which I do just fine)
    3. Emailed them, sent it back, they sent out a new one and it does the exact same thing.
    4. I demoted it to tire duty and set and forget it at 100 lbs (ya yah I know you have to reset to zero, but...)
    5. Used it a total of 5 or 6 times, Four months later it no longer clicks so I overtorqued the wheels.

Good news is it has life time warranty and they will replace it.
    Bad news is they have to "order one" and it has taken a whole month of waiting already.

I told them to give me a refund and they said no. So, I politely told them to keep my money and the tool cause who needs a bad torque wrench?

Back to Snapon, Gearwrench, and life goes on. Don't buy this Tengjunk.

Qavion and f355spider like this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have had a lot of torque wrenches. And I bought into a few of the gimmicks but while Stahlwille isnt too bad I will never buy anything that isnt a Precision Instruments split beam torque wrench. Everything else is unreliable junk.

Kenny94945 and Penzinger like this.
  3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Type of lube on the fastener has a factor on the torque also. The beam type seem to keep accuracy better.

4. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Why would you waste your money on a Chinese torque wrench. Especially an important precision instruementlike a torque wrench. Not saying all Chinese products are crap but there is nothing made in China that I plan on keeping for a long time. One time use and probably ends up in the trash. You get what you pay for.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I got three of those Split Beam types too. I think I am done screwing around.
    1st, it's Taiwanese, who do make better tools than mainland Chinese.
    2nd, experimentation leads to discovery. In this case, discovery of junk.

zygomatic, taz355 and f355spider like this.
  6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I’m with Mitchell sometimes you do find a better mousetrap.
    Some people buy beer, my wife is shoes, I like tools.