Tensioner falling apart in my hand | FerrariChat

Tensioner falling apart in my hand

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yelcab, Mar 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am changing the tensioner on a 328, I go to put in the tensioner carrier. I was a tiny crooked starting out so I wiggled it a bit trying to pull it out and the tensioner came apart in my hand. The cover seal came out, the bearing carrier popped out. Has anyone had this happened to them? It was a tensioner from Ricambi, so it must be good.

2. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Yes they come apart very easy if lateral pressure is exerted on them, almost all the ones I have removed have come apart I am careful to only press them on using the inside race, taking pains to not touch any other part off the assembly!

Rob

3. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    I second what Robert said. They must be mounted by applying pressure to ONLY the inside race. I know this cuz I did it too once. $80 down the drain. :-(

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

+3 This is not altogether infrequent with the 308/328 bearings. They are an SKF product, and its simply the way they're assembled.

I'll put another one in a FedEx box on Monday morning for you. Hang tight -- don't try to reuse the old one. Just toss the old one into the garbage.

5. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    wow, that is great service...and yes, i also know from experience that they can come apart very easily. kind of unnerving actually but...

6. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Dan you are a stand up guy :D

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Thank you Jack. Customer for life.

I did find that the carrier shaft is a little tight and when I used the puller to pull out the old tensioner one, the same thing happened. The tensioner bearing came apart and only the inner race remains. It took quite a bit of work for cutting 2 large grooves on the side so that another puller can be used to pull the race out.

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I learned this lesson the hard way as well!

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Dan I broke two of your bearings can you rush out replacements tomorrow as well :p

Rob
    I agree great customers service!

10. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    "unnerving"...absolutely!..
    Any possibility of getting H.E...to make 328 beabearings?

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Daniel;

Do you now include a warning to help others on an install: not blaming of course, but previous response from qualified persons show high incidence of failure...I wouldn't have known.

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#12 Ricambi America, Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I thought about this after the initial post. Since I have not had one come apart in my own hands, its difficult to determine what the proper wording should be. Our warehouse system already produces small a Code-39 barcode on most items. It's pretty easy to have it spool other kinds of messages onto the same labels. Would something like this work?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    great Ferrari supplies and now a Photo-shootist expert: WOW, you do it all.... I say, for lack of new labels, just print that pic and include with invoice.

done.

14. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I don't have/know photoshop at all :(.

That's a real picture with some labels I just generated from our warehouse system. We can just tell the system to produce supplemental warning label(s), like seen above, each and every time a tensioner barcode gets printed.

15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Don't know if you are character limited, but I'd state directly what not to do as well -- e.g.:

PRESS ONLY ON INNER RACE plus

DO NOT PULL ON OUTER RACE, or, maybe, NEVER PULL ON OUTER RACE

just a thought...

16. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I had a brand new bearing fall apart while taking it out of the box, FoA replaced it, no questions asked of course.

17. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Boy am I glad i happened across this thread - I am going to do the belts and bearings this weekend, after spending most of last weekend getting the ac and studs out of the way and the water pump.

Thanks for the heads up, probably saved me from trashing one right out of the box - that is not to say that i won't find a way to bugger it up, but at least i now know better.

thanks,
    chris

18. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I change a fair number of bearings in my work and I like to heat them in/on a bearing heater or have even used a toaster oven in a pinch. Then they slide right on to the shaft....usually. For the outer race fit I try to heat up the housing the bearing is going into and cool the bearing.

19. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Over the last 25 years or so, I would estimate that I've installed many hundreds of these tensioner bearings and yet, I only had one "explode" on installation. I never realized that this was such a common problem, as I thought it was just a "freak" occurance. I've never been too fond of heating these bearings, prior to installation, in that the grease used doesn't appear to be the most robust stuff. I guess if I keep "my garage toaster oven" below "crisp", a little heat-related expansion might make the job go easier!

And the vendor at the time, Ted Rutland's...gladly sent me a new bearing, natually without any charges.

Regards,
    David

20. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I think this depends on how a person installs their bearings. Once I have the belt in place (less the bearing) I put the bearing on with the belt on it. It worked great for me. However, with the way I install it, I have to put equal pressure on the outside and inside races. If you install it like I do, pressing on just the inner race may cause it to come apart. So... Thoughts?

Gene

21. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #21 robertgarven, Mar 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I dont think that is a good idea. I use a hydraulic press. Only press the inner race mount the tensioner assembly, then replace the belt, then release the tension.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    What are you talking about pressing?

Gene

23. Adaptel

Adaptel Karting

Jul 21, 2007
    Concord, NH USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Pearson
    I recently replaced tensioner bearings on a 308, which were purchased from Lyle Tanner. I don't know where he is getting them, but the bearings I received really impressed me becasue they seemed to be a completely new and improved design over the old ones. All the tensioners I had seen (which aren't many of them) were made of what seemed like two seperate bearings (one pressed in front and another in back) which left a gap that could be seen when looking down the center. These new units used a single bearing and the inner race was one continuous piece of metal from front to back, which seems like it would be more resistant to stray forces and altogether a much better design. Does anyone know who makes these?

24. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Pic . side-by-side would be nice

25. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    That sounds like the AC belt adj. pulley bearing set-up on my 308, 2 side by side in that little pulley. The only tensioner bearings I have seen are few but they all were of single bearing design.