Terrifying SLR crash in Qatar. | FerrariChat

Terrifying SLR crash in Qatar.

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Rex71, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rex71

Rex71 Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Majd B.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wow, that's quite an 'off'.....Rest In Peace...........that's awfully young, to be released with such power.

3. Dilancer

Dilancer F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dilan B.
    Holy crap! Thats pretty bad. :( Very sad to see. Does anyone have any more info about this. Speeds? and what not. I can only imagine what the driver went through. RIP

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    cockpit area is remarkably intact, airbags deployed. my guess is the driver was likely ejected. sadly a young life lost...may he rest in peace

5. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    RIP

That's unbelievable. I read on Wrecked Exotics car was flipped several times when lost control at high speed. My guess is both driver and passenger were thrown out of the cockpit for whatever reason; as GuyIncognito said the cabin seems relatively "intact" for such a horrible crash.

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Holy crap!

Too sad. I can't believe how intact the cabin is.

7. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    #7 arezzo, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
    Allah-e-Raham7a

A friend of mine who has some close contacts in Qatar told me the kid was warned recently before this tragedy happened, he was caught on camera doing some insane speed and Qatar being as small as it is the Head of the Traffic Department called his father to warn him and to tell his son to take it easy, apparently he was on his way to the airport as he was sending his car to London where he was going to spend the rest of his summer and on the way this happened. According to the Benz experts that have checked out the accident site (at the fathers request) that if his son was wearing a seat belt he MIGHT have survived as the cabin shell remained intact as per the design specifications of the car.

So sad.

S

8. ST&A

ST&A Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Lake Stevens
    Full Name:
    Sid Thayer
    This is a very tragic end to such a young life with so much to accomplish.

I feel for his family and may he rest in peace......

9. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    My prayers to the family!!!!

Very tragic ending to such a young life.

I feel for his parents.

10. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think daddy should have taken it away after the traffic official called. Sometimes a spoiled kid is a dead kid.

11. RRRRE

RRRRE Karting

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Steve
    x100 to power of 100

12. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Real Classy of ya

S

13. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wow, you're a genius with that first sentence.

And show some respect, a person has died.

14. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    So much to accomplish? Lol! Yeah, he would have helped the economy by abusing his Filipino maids and ordering a yacht or two. An SLR for a 22 year old and the funds to ship it around the world to party with...yeah, let's show some respect. I am sure he started a few companies at 15 and that's how he ended up in the SLR.

Be glad he didn't **** up more lives...the guy was a waste, as are many spoilt Arab youths. Don't get me wrong, ****s like this have their uses...they give a reason to live to asslickers like the ones praying for him. Besides, his death will result in a windfall for some hardworking soul who prints the fancy invite cards to the funeral.

I have seen the same behavior in Doha, Dubai, Manama, Monaco, Geneva, Paris, and lately, London. Spoilt young Arab males in fancy sports cars with foreign plates driving recklessly, thinking they are cool, knowing their foreign plates and diplomatic passports will likely save their asses. Karma's a ***** when it catches up with you, huh. Just hope when the time comes, they don't take any innocent people (like YOUR relatives) with them.

I can't believe the "sadness" some of you idiots are expressing. Don't worry, there are plenty more losers with money out there. You will find someone else to look up to in no time.

Lol!

15. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #15 bernardo66, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
    ...this kid did it with his own two hands.

I've very little sympathy for these scenarios.

16. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Just checked your profile...

"Occupation: Soldier"

Enough said.

17. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    It's not my occupation...it's my vocation. I fight for what I believe in. So, I "soldier on" in those endeavors. Job-wise, I don't have anything to do with the armed forces. But I do have a job. Unlike the fcuktard in the SLR who did nothing at all. I guess that makes me uncool. How will I live, knowing some camera-wielding buttlickers don't respect me?

I know it's very impressive to you but honestly, pushing down on an accelerator pedal and holding a steering wheel takes zero skill. Doing it at the wrong time and place makes you a prize ****.

Jeez. So much angst...surely you guys can find another exotic car owner's butt to crawl up into?

OK, go check my profile again...

18. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Already did, didn't impress me much, sorry. You seem to be full of hate, that's why I thought you were fighting for something or nothing.

I normally don't get involve in such arguments but you've come up as an arrogant here believe it or not, I mean you don't even know the guy but you've already told us his biography. Yeah I know there are lots of these "kids" around, but your stereotype post is just out of hand.

19. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    #19 js430, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
    If he is the rare exception who actually had talent or had accomplished something and was a rising star and had earned the car himself, I would be willing to issue half an apology. He is still a fcuktard for ignoring the warning and going so fast on a public road and losing control...especially on a straight stretch, unless the Qataris are idiots like the Saudis and put in cloverleafs in the middle of the desert. Now, you can make excuses for being young, but have you thought of the selfishness of this act? What his death must be doing to his parents, any siblings and other relatives? What about the danger to the public he posed with all the high-speed driving? Would you be as sympathetic if he lost control in the city and his car took out your mother walking on the sidewalk? Don't tell me only did this out in the open desert. It was posted earlier that he had been caught on camera doing the same thing before.

Come on, you know and I know he was maxing it out, hit some sand, car's rear started to go back and forth, he dialled in too much steering correction and once the car got crossed up, air got under the car, flipped it up and when it landed the inertia had it rolling over and over like a tumbleweed in a windtunnel. And the genius wasn't even buckled in...

This was a single vehicle accident on a stretch of road that one can reasonably assume to be straight. Clear weather conditions, broad daylight, good visibility, so I doubt a camel or another car suddenly appeared in the middle of the road and caused this. Had he seen something, he would have slowed down. He was unable to regain control after the car started acting unnaturally...probably due to lack of traction in one or more wheels. That loss of traction caused enough of a change in attitude that the driver aids could not help. Probably the car was airborne by then. Now, look at the debris, both the small size of the pieces it broke up into as well as the area it is all scattered over...for the car to have self-destructed to this extent, especially in shock absorbing, deformable sand, it must have had a LOT of energy. I am guessing 180+ mph.

Before you accuse me of stereotyping again, I have done a few accident investigations in my previous life. One was in Bahrain...a very similar story. That kid died in a Ferrari on the day he graduated high school. It's funny how people call it an "accident" when you can see it coming from a very long ways off. I have seen it with a doctor's kid in the US as well. That was in a Vette, and he killed himself and his girlfriend.

Honest question for you: Is there anything I can change in my profile to make it even less impressive? I really don't want to impress anyone.

20. BAD930

BAD930 Karting

Oct 16, 2004
    Bouncing Around
    Full Name:
    Shmuley
    #20 BAD930, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    #21 js430, Jul 23, 2008
    Funny pic. :)

I bet that car sustains more damage getting pulled out than it had when it ended up pointing towards the sky.

Looks like he lost control, hitt the curb while braking hard, mounted the curb easily because of the big wheels, soft suspension was compressed, and then, when the brakes were released, it "launched" the front of the vehicle up while the rear was still pushing forward. Hence the "leap".

The torn bumper is probably from hitting the sidewalk, while the front was compressed, not from hitting the wall a split second later, as I have seen these kinds of vehicles touch their front bumpers on the ground under very hard braking (courtesy of a Lebanese student on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, early 90s...gotta love these rich Arab youths, they sure know how to test a car's limits). OK, so there was still enough momentum to carry it up on to the wall (see where it struck, halfway up), and at that approach angle the rear wheels were probably raised up off the ground enough for the rear underneath to drag and stop the truck fairly quickly. See the discolored stone on the half-moon.

Interesting crack on the previous and next wall segments, it would be good to examine the other segments too, but the immediate before and after sections' diagonal cracks indicate a square hit pretty much where it came to rest. Now, the wall is fairly thin, so I don't think it would have stopped such a heavy vehicle hitting it square on...I think it came at the wall diagonally, punched through but also rode up on it until it came to a stop. With the lack of cabin deformity and the intact glass, I am sure the occupants all walked away, although they might have back problems from the unexpected torque in the unexpected directions. Whiplash injuries to the neck too, as I bet they weren't buckled up either.

Scatter pattern of rocks doesn't reveal much, as you'd expect from a crash involving a vehicle traveling in two axes. But it was definitely braking hard enough for the tires to push out those rocks as the truck went up the slope. Only after the front stopped and the rear was slewing around did it end up plopping in the half-moon cavity, possibly hitting the exhaust on the stone lip which appears to be discolored in one spot.

So, why did this happen?
    1. It could also have been a kid running across the street in front of another vehicle and "popping out" in front of this one that caused the driver to swerve and brake hard enough to lose control. Except there's no crosswalk.

2. Possibly he ran the previous red light and swerved to avoid someone entering his path of travel and lost control? These big trucks take a good half-second to change direction because their soft suspension compresses before the tires bite--that half-second may have been enough to hit the curb and have this accident unfold.

3. Could have been speeding and trying to squeeze through a gap on the right and misjudging,

4. Could have been drunk. Daylight (assuming this just happened when the pic was taken, not a remnant from the previous night) and Muslim country...lower chances of this, but still possible. Was it on a Thu or Fri (their weekend)? After a soccer match? Did he just win a big contract? Expat driver?

5. He could have also hit the car/object he was swerving to avoid and damaged his bumper there, before moving on to the curb/wall accident. I don't see any broken taillight glass or liquid stains on the roadway or swept to the side of the road, so I am discounting this theory.

22. BAD930

BAD930 Karting

Oct 16, 2004
    Bouncing Around
    Full Name:
    Shmuley
    CSI eat your heart out .. I'm impressed :)

23. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

js430.

Dial the rhetoric back, and your foul language isn't appreciated either and is a TOU violation in your bypassing of the profanity filters.

There's no fine line between commentary and total disrespect, which you are showing for this forum's community.

Take 48 hours off to consider better use of your skills than trolling and baiting in the ME section.

Dave M.

24. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I thought he didn't want to impress anybody! :D

I am impressed too.

What a waste...

of a car. :)

25. vnichols

vnichols Rookie

Jul 13, 2005
    #25 vnichols, Jul 23, 2008
    Are we banning him for being blunt and truthful? Sadly enough we live in a world where people curse, and odly enough drive like idiots. I know there should be sympathy for a lost life, but in reality I do not expect anyone to cry for me if I lost my life driving my Lambo like an idiot. Its my own fault. Although this gentleman was brutal in his analysis of the pics, he was quite honest about the level of maturity exhibited by many youth(youths like Im old or something), I purchased my first Ferrari at 20 with money I made by grace of God. It still doesn't mean that I was a smart driver. the fact that it was my dosh spent to buy it meant that I couldn't and wouldn't get out and act a complete fool in my ferrari. When you use your money to acquire possesions I feel that one is less likely to enter into situations that might damage, or completely destroy what you have worked hard for. Im not saying that this kid didn't work, I have no clue what his life was about. However I know plenty of families here in America, and in other countrys that just dole out cash and cars to their stupid(yes I do mean stupid) youths. So maybe we are being harsh of our critisism of that our fellow fchatter used. This is a free country, if you don't like what someone has said ignore it, don't muzzle them for having a mind of their own