Tesla | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tesla

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bocaf430, Jun 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    It is important how problems are handled and they haven't been handled well in Arizona.

3 weeks to get in for service. Long waits for solutions.

I will say there have not been major issues. Nothing of great significance. Its the amount of small issues and how they are handled.

TRIM ISSUES

TRIM ISSUES

TRIM ISSUES

Squeaky doors.

Misaligned panels. Front quarters. doors...

Mismatched or poorly installed interior trim all over.

Accelerated wear on certain interior panels

Rattles

Bad weathstrip

Seat release mechanisims

Buggy issues... but thats somewhat expected to be honest.

You don't have to believe me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D4GhXxnj-I

Now does every car have problems. Yes. I think tesla is going to face a REAL struggle with the model 3. I think those consumers are going to be very loud with there issues and I think there expectations of the diety that is Elon Musk is going to turn around and bite them in the ass.

Thats just my opinion

2. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia

That sucks.

Possibly that I experienced different service because I would take the car to the factory service location in Fremont.

Never had an issue getting in when I needed to.

I am on my third power train and had 3 window actuators go out plus a bad 12V battery.
    The sunroof was making excessive noises but I didn't have your trim issues.

Overall the X is much better built. Tighter tolerances and better fit I and finish. And I guess less "rattling".

Kai

3. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    My late 2014 build P85D has been virtually trouble free aside from one door handle replacement. When was your car built? The build quality has improved tremendously from 2012 to the present time, and that was part of why I waited 2 years to get one. The newer cars should in general have far fewer issues.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #29 rob lay, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I have had a Model S P85D upgraded from Insane to Ludicrous for almost 3 years without any major issues. It is he best DD available out there for all of the good hinge mentioned above. The autopilot alone is the greatest feature on Teslas and makes the car worth it. That is why I will likely be upgrading to another Tesla in the near future that has the AP2 hardware including 8 cameras that will enable fully autonomous driving in very near future. I can say that the dealer service has gotten worse over hr past Year or so as they're are many more Tesla drivers out there in my area and the demand for service needs for simple issues, has made it harder to get a timely appointment and harder to get another Tesla as a loaner car. They usually have the Latest C class, 3 series, ATS available if thee Teslas are all taken. I never supercharge any more across my commute paths as the lines are often too long, preferring to charge overnight at home instead. I only supercharge when taking family trips from Bay Area to Napa, Sacramento, or Monterey/ Carmel, as anything farther seems to be a bit of an inconvenience as compared to the gas car. I don't see how the dealers are going to keep up with owners needs when there will be model 3's seen at every stoplight. I did not buy the Model S p85 D because it was "green" and cool. I have always been a MB AMG owner for my DD and have alway preferred the AMG's And M's as choices for Dd due to the luxury combined with the performance that separates these cars from the herd of other luxurious commuters. Having an model S or Model X with Insane or ludicrous modes makes these cars highly enjoyable when you want to blow past everybody on the on-ramp. I bought the Model S Insane (upgraded to ludicrous) because it was the fastest 4 door sedan in the world at that time.

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Agree, best for winning stop light to stop light races (if that is your thing).
    In my particular case the car did not pass the muster of performance needs so I'm back to IC.

7. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I certainly can understand your opinion here. I used to prefer the performance/chassis size and tossability of the C63 AMG or M3/M4 over the feeling of driving an E63/S63 AMG or M5/M6/Alpina B7 which are much bigger, luxurious, and more powerful. The Tesla Model S p85/90/100 D Insane/ludicrous should be compared to these bigger performance variants from MB or BMW. I would often substitute my C63 AMG for my Ferrari on drives with other exotic car owners and still would have a blast. Bringing anything larger on a back roads drive is just not as fun. The other pros of having a Tesla DD now outweigh the benefits of having a smaller tossavlr chassis...now, if Tesla comes out with a P100D Ludicrous model 3, ny opinion may sway in that direction, once again...

8. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    They are nice cars but I wish they would branch out and make a car with a gasoline motor or at least a hybrid.

9. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    That's about as likely as Ferrari branching out into building dump trucks.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have been passenger in Jennie's a few times and have driven it once. My impressions so far...

1) Looks are underwhelming - we're going to look at some aftermarket wheels and maybe add factory rear spoiler.

2) Interior OK - certainly not up to luxury car standards, but it is acceptable.

3) Handling - for 5k pound sedan the handling is awesome, not sure if that's the low center of gravity? I have an increasing radius corner by my house and if you catch a green light you can really pull some speed through there. I do this with all my sports cars and the Tesla held up great in that comparison test.

4) Technology, info console - pretty well laid out and easy to use. Car seems simple only give you what you need when you want it, unlike the 640i. The BMW threw hundreds of buttons and technology at you that seemed to hinder more than help.

5) Quickness - wow, we're not talking oh wow fast, we're talking oh **** throw you in back of seat fast. Quicker by feel than the 540 HP Cali T.

6) Charging - surprised it isn't more than 4 miles an hour for 110, but we have a 240 - 30 amp that is doing about 18 miles an hour. we're getting it upgraded to 50 amp.

11. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Which version does Jennie have? They're all fast, but sounds to me like she has one with the Ludicrous upgrade.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Nope, just the 90D. Maybe the AWD?

13. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Yeah, that's a big part of the launching sensation. Peak torque at 0 RPM, AWD, and a very quick reacting traction control system. Hard to imagine, but a P90D or P100D with the Ludicrous upgrade is over a full second faster to 60 than the already rapid 90D.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep, we wanted to dip our toe before our foot. :)

15. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Whats the long distance refinement like with no positive engine sound to balance negative tire, wind and suspension noise?

Is a 4 hour 80 mph cruise just non stop tire noise?

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've done driven a P90D w ludicrous mode and it's extremely quick.

17. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    there is a radio....lol

18. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia

No AM.

Kai

19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Im surprised they don't use a noise cancelling tech. I can't be the first guy to think of this... maybe its too large of a "room" to noise cancel or something like that. Too many noises depending on which seat you are sitting in.

Also, as a side note... you can't quite go on a 4 hour 80mph cruise.

20. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I had been out of the country for 2 weeks and came back to find my Model S drivers door handle,which usually protrudes from the flush position when you approach it with the key), was stuck in the flush position. It was kind of annoying, as you cannot get into the driver's door unless you open it from the inside. I called up the Tesla Service center in Fremont (at the factory), had an appointment the very next day with a loaner car given to me. The service center replaced the door handle mechanism at no cost, performed tire rotation, as well for no cost. I did pay for a $150 alignment. The Fremont service center has changed recently to where it is now much smaller than before. I was told that Model 3 production was now taking up a lot more space in the factory.

21. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Untrue.

22. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    It's no S Class, but cruising dB is not bad at all. Most ICE luxury cars make minimal noise at cruising RPM, and whatever noise they do make is probably not in the same frequency range as tire rumble.

23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Model X does not have an AM band.

24. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    That seems to be a growing trend. I drove an i8 with the same deficiency. The Model S still has it, though.

25. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia

EMC interference.

Kai